Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winning A Gun At The S.c. And Not Being Allowed To Own It...

pmd

So while at the Steel Challenge in Piru CA last week, I was fortunate enough to win a Springfield XD pistol at Springfield's Friday's side match.

I just called my FFL and discovered that new Springfield pistols are not Massachusetts "compliant" :angry: which means I cannot get it transferred to me - kinda a bummer..

Mass law links:

http://www.fsguns.com/malawsandregs.html

Edited by pmd

Don't ya just love this state Pauly :angry:

Remember all those Taurus' we couldn't have last year !

With the November elections coming up and house prices/sales going stagnant maybe it is

time to leave <_<

And for those that say "just move", it's easier said than done. :(

Don't Move, VOTE! them out of Office. it's your state. but easier said then done since Ted K. has been around Soooooooo Long. I heard it is illegal to have a empty piece of brass in your car up there is his true.

Edited by scorch

scorch

Ted beat the Mary Jo rap...you think the fact that he is older than dirt will keep him from being an elected official till he dies? Not likely...you stand a better chance of getting more of what you want by moving...

Don't Move, VOTE! them out of Office. it's your state. but easier said then done since Ted K. has been around Soooooooo Long. I heard it is illegal to have a empty piece of brass in your car up there is his true.

Empty brass meets the Massachsuetts definition of ammunition, and therefore cannot be posessed without an FID, LTC-B, LTC-A, Alien FID or qualification under specific and limited exemptions for hunters or competitors. I think a MA machine gun license also covers ammo - not sure about that one, and it's doubtful anyone in this state has a machine gun license without also holding an LTC. It's perfectly legal to have the empty brass in your car if you papers are in order.

That being said, I am not aware of any cases where someone was charged for unlawful posession of empty brass. Ammunition prosecutions are not unheard of however.

ps: Mace and pepper sprays is also defined as "ammo" in this state.

Send it to me, I will shoot it for you, send you photos of it and emails telling you of it adventures here in Gods country Kentucky.

You can even have visitation rights with out paying support.

PS: That really bites, Dont forget, vote pro gun early and often.

I really hate this frigen state!!!! Do you have a certificate for the pistol that you could sell? I was with John S. when he won the CZ at the Area 7 that he couldn't take home. Luckily these great laws make us so much safer!!!

Pete

Having been born and raised in Arizona where it was not unusual growing up to see people wearing guns in fancy leather holsters all the time, I am totally HORRIFIED at what people have to deal with in other states. :o How in the world did this happen in these states???? I agree....VOTE like crazy....then move to Phx where we can shoot in matches pretty much 7 days a week in the sunshine :D

How in the world did this happen in these states????

UMMM.....WELLLLLL....Since the most popular reply here to anything even remotely political in these states is to suggest that the best way to deal with the situation is to move out and give up on the fight here, why is anyone surprised? It is easy to suggest activism when you live in a majority progun state and don't have to really BE an activist. We, the shooting sports community, are our own worst enemies. USPSA is not even slightly politically active and even BE has a policy against discussing politics here on the forum. When the anti gunner politicos are done in MA, CA, etc. You can bet that they WILL be coming to your state next.

I think it has something to do with garbage collection and disposal. In the free states, like Kentucky and Arizona, many people deal with their own garbage. They either burn or bury it themselves, or, hire someone to do it for them. In states with large metropolitan populations this is not possible and the government deals with the garbage. Once the government begins taking care of the garbage for you, everything else seems to go the way of the garbage and your liberties get trashed. There could be a Dissertation here for someone.... ;)

pmd,

If you decide to move, Texas has plenty of room and great gun laws. We'd welcome you.

If not, vote your beliefs and what's good for you and your community. Ann Richards, former governor of Texas, refused to sign the concealed handgun legislation. She said, "If you don't like it, vote me out!" Governor Bush signed the legislation right after the next election. :) It does work.

Liota

As great at TX and AZ are, this Massachusetts resident has a hard time getting used the gun restrictions when visiting those states. Although Masssachusetts is generally repressive I can legally carry concealed in restaurants which serve alcohol, walk into the bar area while carrying if I'm waiting to be seated for dinner, and a business owner cannot make it a crime for me to carry in his her store/mall/hotel/whatever simply by posting a sign. It's a crime to carry while intozicated in MA, which is a much more sensible approach than a restaurant ban.

VOTE, THEN GET A FRIEND TO VOTE, THEN EACH OF YOU GET ANOTHER FRIEND TO VOTE!!!!!

Exponential : it grows at an exponential rate if you each get one new person to vote Pro-Gun each week. Please tell me you guys up there don't just sit up there and take NO action!!!!!!! Because if you are not being proactive, then you have NO right to complain.

OK, I feel better now

Rob Boudrie

If I were a business owner, I would be grateful that I could request a CHL to leave my store...and here in TX you can carry in any eatery if it makes 51% + of its revenue from other than liquior by the drink...the CHL in TX is not repressive and is doing a great job...I have taught it for the last 11 yrs, and have not had any student get in trouble, over 2000 of them...I mean, hell, you guys can't even lock up Ted Kennedy for killing Mary Jo, and Californians couldn't convict OJ....so let's not even compare TX with either of those places.. :P

Rob Boudrie

If I were a business owner, I would be grateful that I could request a CHL to leave my store...and here in TX you can carry in any eatery if it makes 51% + of its revenue from other than liquior by the drink...the CHL in TX is not repressive and is doing a great job...I have taught it for the last 11 yrs, and have not had any student get in trouble, over 2000 of them...I mean, hell, you guys can't even lock up Ted Kennedy for killing Mary Jo, and Californians couldn't convict OJ....so let's not even compare TX with either of those places.. :P

There is a BIG difference between allowing a business owner to order someone out of their store and allowing a business owner to make violation of a sign a criminal matter. MA business owners comonly establish rules such as "No shirt, no shoes, no service", "No shorts allowed", "Jacket and tie required", etc. - and do have the right to order someone to leave if they wish- with criminal consequences for someone refusing to vacate the premises. What business owners do not have is the ability to make entering their store in violation of one of these policies a crime for which someone can be arrested even if they agree to leave peacefully when asked.

The MA CHL system is not without its problems (for example, it's discretionary, availability varies by your town, social class and connections, and the courts have upheld that a chief may revoke a license for exercising one's right to remain silent), however, the issuee is under fewer constraints than in TX - which is of particular interest if you do not wish to brief everyone in a dinner or shopping group that you have safety equipment with you.

And yes, the Chappaquidick Kid is an embarassment to this state.

Wise guys must like it in the eastern states llike NJ, Mass, NY, Pa, and Ill...all NON gun states...will they ban baseball bats next

Take PA off that list, we can own what we want, got CCW, all the goodies...even considering following FL in "deadly force". Move here...your guns are fine, hi-caps (err, standard capacity) is fine, life is relatively good,even with a d*&^%$bag gov.

Edited by vluc

Rob Boudrie

There is a BIG difference between allowing a business owner to order someone out of their store and allowing a business owner to make violation of a sign a criminal matter. MA business owners comonly establish rules such as "No shirt, no shoes, no service", "No shorts allowed", "Jacket and tie required", etc. - and do have the right to order someone to leave if they wish- with criminal consequences for someone refusing to vacate the premises. What business owners do not have is the ability to make entering their store in violation of one of these policies a crime for which someone can be arrested even if they agree to leave peacefully when asked.

I can only speak about Kentucky's law Rob but with our Concealed Carry law a business owner can post the signs of which you speak, but violating them is not a crime. If a busines owner sees your not very well concealed firearm he may ask you to leave and refusal to do so then becomes trespassing, but violating his "No Gun" signs is not in and of itself a crime.

Dale

Texas has a large and obnoxious sign a business or other private property owner must post if they don't want you there-- walking past that and getting caught could be 'criminal trespass'. In the absence of the sign (and they aren't common, even in Austin), the property owner/operator has to ask you to leave, and you have to refuse before you've committed a crime.