Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Sucks!

HSMITH

L9X25

You make no mention of ever loading on a rockchucker, or a Lee turet press or a 350 Dillon, or a 450 Dillon or a 450B Dillon...loaded on all of those and the 550 is way up there over them, but the 1050 is better yet... :D

I don't know why everyone hates it...it only takes an hour to do about 800 rounds after loading primer tubes and all that...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I view reloading like I do shooting, stress relief. No time to think about anything except what you are doing at that moment. It is quiet time away from all the little worries that pop up everyday.

I hate it less when my 650 is running right, and perfectly adjusted. When all my primers tubes are already filled, and my cases have been tumbled, strained of media, and picked through for intruders....

In short, I do a lot of hating, as well. <grin>

But it's a lot less hateful than buying 6 50-round boxes of .40/.45acp, at a small local gunstore, for a match!

Thankfully all of my presses work perfectly. I just don't enjoy spending the time to make the ammo. If I were able to get the motorized attachment that fully automated the 1050, I would gripe about having to keep the powder measure, primer tubes, projectile and case hopper all full while it spewed out 2,000 rounds an hour. But it I would certainly be less miserable than I am now! :D

L9X25

You make no mention of ever loading on a rockchucker, or a Lee turet press or a 350 Dillon, or a 450 Dillon or a 450B Dillon...loaded on all of those and the 550 is way up there over them, but the 1050 is better yet... :D

I don't know why everyone hates it...it only takes an hour to do about 800 rounds after loading primer tubes and all that...

Since I got the VibraPrime, reloading has been more of a pleasure. I find that I dislike it only when there is some pressure on such as I MUST have this number of rounds loaded by a certain time. Then it seems as if I'm always delayed because I need some other powder I don't have, am short of the right bullets, etc. The 550s always work, though, even when I don't feel like it.

Otherwise it's a lot like Herky's post-I use it as a chance to relax, not worry about other things, concentrate on what I'm doing, focus on making the best round for the greatest accuracy.

Bob

Hmmm. I don't reload yet but I'm about to start. I find the responses interesting, e.g. that people here can't stand even one hour of reloading. :mellow:

Just as a gauge, do you guys hate cleaning guns as well?

Edited by Eager

Mine gets cleaned once a year weather it needs it or not! ;)

Seriously, I just do a quick field strip, whipe off any major chunks, apply more Slide-Glide and keep on truckin'. That's maybe once a month, or when the slide gets a little "sluggish".

Ray

Hmmm. I don't reload yet but I'm about to start. I find the responses interesting, e.g. that people here can't stand even one hour of reloading. :mellow:

I think what you'll find is that folks prefer shooting and living their lives to sitting at the loading bench. The progressive press helps a bunch, cause you can spend less time at it, but... For handgun sports like ours, where supremely accurate ammo isn't a large part of the game (as contrasted with benchrest stuff, for instance), its just one more chore to do in a lot of folks' minds...

I enjoy the satisfaction of knowing my gun is eating high quality ammo that I made - but if I could get away with less time/effort at loading it, you betcha I'd do it... ;)

Yes, my gun gets cleaned, but I don't exactly enjoy that, either, so....

After a couple hundred thousands rounds the "excitement" wear off. Like posted above I think most people are busy doing the more fun things in life, or the things that get them the funds to detonate rounds :)

Clean you guns? I scrape off the crud when needed ;)

Eager, it was not bad at all for the first ten years of reloading. It still isn't bad to go down to my basement and putz around with the presses. My post was directed at needing VOLUME, and not wanting to spend the time it takes to create that volume with the equipment I have. There is absolutely no way I could afford to play this game the way I do with factory ammo, so it is a necessary 'chore'.

No, I don't like cleaning guns, and I don't clean them often. I have a pretty darn good idea how long each will run with the handcrafted ammo (':rolleyes:') I feed them before they start to become unreliable, so I clean on an as needed basis rather than as a habit.

I have never seen a shark talk someone out of a swim, so the odds of someone here telling you not to take up reloading are pretty slim......

Yes! I hate cleaning guns!

Actually, I don't so much hate yanking the handle of my 650. Its all the logistical details that go into feeding the freaking 650. Loading primer tubes, filling the powder measure, cleaning/lubing/cleaning again the brass. Case gauging the stuff once its built. If I could just stand there, mindless yanking the handle...

Thankfully my wife, also a shooter, has recently recognized that she is half the reason I spend so much time back in the workshop and will come back and load primer tubes and inspect/case gauge finished ammo. Of course, she is now hooked to a production gun and wants me to convert the press to 9mm and make up some loads for her to use in matches. I would like to thank the local production shooter gurus for telling her all about "how soft 147g bullet is vs WWB" and "how she should get her husband to wipe some up." Thanks guys!

I have been reloading for 35 years and most of it was using single stage or turret presses. I thought the Lee auto-index turret press was hot stuff until I pulled the handle on the first SDB I saw.

Thought the SDB was hot stuff for 100,000 rounds or so and was thinking bad thoughts about Benos for his assessment of this press. THEN I got my 650 and realized Benos definitely knows his stuff.

I use a vibraprime and have enough tubes for 1400 primers in both sizes. These get filled at one sitting and I tend to load for an hour or so at night. I can't manage to load less than 600 an hour with the 650, and generally load 800 an hour, so that suits me fine. That's about the same amount my wife and I shoot each week.

I never HAVE to crank out ammo. I keep at least 4 gallon containers of loaded rounds at all times. Not a planned thing, but I've found I can't stand it if I don't have at least those 4 containers.

I don't dislike reloading, but the thrill has been gone for many years now. The 650 has been running like a top since I first set it up (10K rounds ago), and I've just gotten over the short term "rush" of switching from the SDBs.

At any rate, I'm now set up so that less effort than ever before is needed to keep up with nearly twice as much shooting (now that my wife is a card-carrying USPSA shooter). If I can ever get that .45 away from her, I'll be in heaven (only loading .40s).

If I can ever get that .45 away from her, I'll be in heaven (only loading .40s).

lol... I am so close to 40 everything... just need to get a few 100% 40 SS mags..

Of course, I just bought a 627 (couldn't find a 610) :(

My wife was in the gun room last light while I was running bullets through the lubrisizer. I "let" her lube/size about 20 for herself.

She decided to once again give the Glock a try....I can only hope....

I had already let her know that when she shot up the last of the jacketed .45s she would lose her "fully sponsored" status, and will be buying her own bullets.

Last time she changed her mind, I has already excitedly set up a tool head for Glock minor loads and a tool head for Para major loads. I was close to stashing the brass before she decided the Glock sucked.

I really hope tomorrow's match is her last with the Kimber.

I view reloading like I do shooting, stress relief. No time to think about anything except what you are doing at that moment. It is quiet time away from all the little worries that pop up everyday.

That's how I approach it. I don't like reloading, I don't hate reloading. I just reload.

I get my Dillon Zen on, becoming one with the press and before I know it, there's a box of bullets sitting on the bench waiting for gaging and packaging.

I hate gaging and packaging but that's another thread.

I dread reloading too, especially the changeover from 38 Super to .40 S&W to .45 ACP. So much so that for the Open guns I am seriously considering one of these:

http://www.ammoload.com/

or

http://camdexloader.com

"Operating the machine at a leisurely 3600 cycles per hour will produce on[e] completed round per second." The "normal" operating speed of the Ammo Load Mark X is 5000 cycles (rounds) per hour. Fill the feeders, and reservoirs, push the button and make sure you got lots of them orange 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot ready to put all that ammo in.

Edited by gino_aki