Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Kind Of Brass Polish Do You Use?

Mouse

I'm using the Dillon Rapid Polish and it really worls great but it's costing me an arm and a leg. At $1.00 an ounce before shipping it's getting to be more than I want to spend.

I've got somewhere around 17k to 18k pieces of rifle brass that I need to start getting ready for some winter work so I'm going to need a pretty good supply of something.

I've read elswhere on the web that Dillon Rapid Polish is really Blue Coral Car Polish, but after various net searches and trips to the local auto parts stores I can't locate the Blue Coral Polish product to compare.

So what do you guys use?

Anybody got any great tips or tricks for polishing up a ton of brass?

Mouse

Frankford Arsenal from midwayusa.com. 32 oz for $21. It goes on sale periodically also.

I put in about 2-3 oz (for new, untreated corn cob) in a dillon cv500 tumbler and I can run about 4 loads of ~500 40 s&w brass before having to add anymore. After the 4th load, I'll add another oz or so and I'll be able to get 2-3 more loads, etc...

Flitz metal polish, it works great. ;)

+1 on the flitz. Made in my hometown of Waterford Wi. You see them at some of the bigger gun shows around here with tables. They know who is using there products.

Tom

Don't worry those cows won't be making into anybody food chain. Although it would be interesting to test the meat to see if it made any difference. He just dumped it over fence and found that cows like the husks.

I'm using the Dillon Rapid Polish and it really worls great but it's costing me an arm and a leg. At $1.00 an ounce before shipping it's getting to be more than I want to spend.

I've got somewhere around 17k to 18k pieces of rifle brass that I need to start getting ready for some winter work so I'm going to need a pretty good supply of something.

I've read elswhere on the web that Dillon Rapid Polish is really Blue Coral Car Polish, but after various net searches and trips to the local auto parts stores I can't locate the Blue Coral Polish product to compare.

So what do you guys use?

Anybody got any great tips or tricks for polishing up a ton of brass?

Mouse

I used to shoot at Dallas PD quite a bit in the '80s. Back then they polished their .38 brass in a cement mixer with Dupont #7 car wax. I used it until about '99 when I couldn't find it anymore. (DPD shoots Bazer now) Dillon is great but high dollar. I know folks who use Softscrub and various stuff like Flitz (talk about high dollar!!) but I've been buying Turtle Wax at Walmart lately with good results. $4 a bottle or less?! I don't get the same shine I had with #7 but the stuff cleans well and the ammo runs in the gun.

Mick

A27257

I been using some dillon got it free with my tumbler and some cabbelas.

Seems about the same.I also have tried some mother mag polish but it's pretty pricey.I have some other car polish I got from bypass to use on my truck before I could wax it(You are suppose to wait at least amonth with fresh paint).Note for those looking for blue coral go buy you local dealer or clean up shop find out when there supply guy come by by-pass or other all carry blue coral.

On a side note I just bought my first can of one shot lube and it made all my brass look like crap after reloading?

The lyman case lube doesn't seem to do it and even smells better.

MIXED about 4 tablespoons to a dillon tumbler full of corn cob ,used it for about 15 years, no problems . its too dilute to be deleterious to brass. DID initial chrono tests to check velocity variances which may be caused by degradation of powder by BRASSO.

NO probs or variances determined. B)

BRASSO metal polish found at WALLYWORLD for about 3 bucks a can. B)

Isn't Brasso supposed to be bad for brass, containing ammonia and all? Seen any problems?

I think brasso may have caused the nickel to peel on some 40 brass I polished way back when. I went through hell with scratched dies. Never used it again and have never had a problem again. Could be a coincidence...or maybe not...

turtle wax 2000 when I used corn cob. now i just use "lizard litter" reptile bedding (walnut) and it does the shining and polishing for me.

Edited by vluc

I've used all kinds of car wax with good results, but no longer have any wax in the garage B) One thing I found was that car wax seemed to be good for one use only.

Flitz liquid polish works great, but just like actual media polish, I never remember to buy any.

Here lately I've been using Brasso. I'm not sure about all the "Brasso will kill your brass" warnings seen all over the web, but I fill up the tumbler with media, add Brasso, then let it tumble for a few hours. Then I dump the media back in the bucket and I'm ready to go next time. I've found the Brasso works for up to 4 uses. I'm pretty sure any ammonia evaporated during the "prep tumble", so there's no danger to the brass.

The best thing I've ever used is Lyman Tuff-Nut. Way too expensive and leaves a harmless residue on the cases for the first few uses, but it lasts a long time and the cases come out looking like little mirrors.

I've definitely got a weakness for brass that looks like little mirrors :)

WOW!

Thanks for all the good ideas guys, I had blinders on for a long time when it concerned a cleaning or polishing product for brass. I never really gave much thought to what else to use, I'm going to try out some of your suggestions and see how they work for me.

In addition I've spoken with the "Blue Coral" people and as soon as I can find the product that they reccommended I'll pass all of the info on to everybody.

Thanks!

M