Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Singlestack A Failure?

nipplehead

I have taken the time to look at alot of results from both local matches as well as many major matches. The one common factor is that single stack numbers are very low. Barely more or only equal to revo. So I pose the question, was this worth creating another division over? If it was created to bring in IDPA shooters it failed; however my club has gotten a huge number of IDPA shooters ( joined members of USPSA) but they almost exclusively compete in production.

It seems to me if an IDPA shooter is serious enough to compete in USPSA even if they shoot CDP they either end up in L10 or shoot another gun in production. One thing is for sure Singlestack has not killed L10 as many thought it might. I personally was never in favor of creating a new division as I believe most shooters can be very competitve in L10 with a singlestack with 10 round magazines. :P

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is not often taken into account is the local matches. If USPSA released the data I speculate that participation is much higher than the major matches indicate. There is also the fact that it is not being treated as a division out of the gate, and that the classifiers aren't recorded. It is a success at the 4-5 local matches I attend, and I hear a lot of talk about SS division. I sould say that for the first six months, given the terms, that it is a success.

Your opinion...maybe not others... :D

What part of the numbers is my opinion?

Do you shoot SS?

Are you one of the L10 group who fear SS will spell DOOM for their division?

If not, Why start a new thread when this crap has been beat to death already countless times on others? ;)

Do you shoot SS?

If not, Why start a new thread when this crap has been beat to death already countless times on others? ;)

I shoot a singlestack in L10 exclusively. And yes the subject was beat to death before singlestack started...Now that its been out there for half a season we can measure the responce. Now we can get all emotional, but the numbers are not there simple as that....Will they increase? MAYBE

nipplehead..

I tried to post a reply that would not offend anyone, but I see you might want to debate the issue...OK, lets debate..

Singlestack FREAKING STARTED IPSC....it is classic....you can' t Pray & Spray with 8 rounds

Some people wanted to shoot their singlestack, like they did in the old days when DVC really meant something.....

Give up yet? ;):lol::P

Edited by tightloop

I don't think it will be a failure, but USPSA needs to make a decision. If I have the option to shoot L10 with all of the magazines, holsters, and mag holders I bought for L10, that's what I am going to shoot. Why not just merge the two. Make L10 Single Stack only? I think the 8 round limit (not able to use my Wilson or CMC 10 rounders loaded to 8) is a deterrent as well as the magwell issue. I shoot alot of 3 gun so the gear position is not that big of a deal. Now that most states are high cap friendly, let the limited guns compete in limited.

Not trying to stir the pot, just observations.

Disclaimer: All content in my post is my opinion and not meant to be taken as fact.

:D :D :D

Mike

I am not sure if more divisions are a good thing for USPSA. However if I am given a choice between Limited-10 or Single Stack I would choice Single Stack.

I would too is I didn't buy $300 worth of 10 round mags and I hove no SS legal mags at all ;)

It just waters down the competition IMO.

I haven't done any research on the numbers at major matches so I can't comment on that. However at the local level, at least around here, it has been very successful. One of our local shooters even started a weeknight single stack only match and a fifth weekend sanctioned single stack match. It has brought many new shooters out shooting. I don't think they are necessarily from IDPA, just folks who liked to shoot and found out about it. Many of them have joined and started shooting USPSA. These are newer shooters who probably wouldn't attend major matches anyway as new shooters tend not to do. But I think the division has been "successful".

Is that enough to have it stay around? I don't know, but I hope so. Heck, look at the Single Stack Nationals.....it was pretty successful. Granted it was an established match, but popular none the less. I think if they open it up to more shooters next year as has been talked about it could come close to doubling in size.

nipplehead..

I tried to post a reply that would not offend anyone, but I see you might want to debate the issue...OK, lets debate..

Singlestack FREAKING STARTED IPSC....it is classic....you can' t Pray & Spray with 8 rounds

Some people wanted to shoot their singlestack, like they did in the old days when DVC really meant something.....

Give up yet? ;):lol::P

All that is true and I really do not care if it grows or dies even though I shoot a singlestack.BUT... if so many people want to do this when are they coming out to play? I see guys shooting it one month then either shooting production next time or thy have the 10 round mags going. Just look at the local match results the numbers are even close to being there not close to L10. I have nothing against anyone shooting there gun old school but because so many said they would shoot it ...Hey were did they go??????? :P

Edited by nipplehead

Realize, too, that the SS Nationals was very early in the season, this year - but was quite successful (even if you count it also being the Single Stack Classic match). I'd suggest waiting until next year to start looking at numbers with any seriousness...

Tough to assume that the participation in your area is indicative of the game as a whole, too. We have a lot of Open shooters around here, but in other parts of the nation, the game is dominated by iron sights, so....

If you don't care one way or the other why be so negative and argumentative? Perhaps some folks don;t want to shoot several guns at the same match and change monthly...

+1 to XRe's post...give it some time... B)

If you don't care one way or the other why be so negative and argumentative? Perhaps some folks don;t want to shoot several guns at the same match and change monthly...

+1 to XRe's post...give it some time... B)

Tightloop,

I realize I made a mistake in the title of the post because It is negative I should have titled it

When will Singlestack Take off?

I does not surprise me it is big in some areas . The Single stack classic is not far from my home and it always enjoys a huge turn out. Everyone I know enjoys shooting it. But after its over they go back to Open or Limited.

It seems it is more a change of pace class not one that one committs the total effort too.

Hey man I love shooting my .45 and it is one sweet gun that I dumped a bunch of $ in. But in IPSC it seems most folks want more capacity. I simply was looking at numbers and was asking for feedback as to what people are seeing where they shoot. If I offended you I apolize

We had - at our little club match, Approx. 30% of the total shooters in the SS division the last two months. Of course this is a club where we have someone shoot L10 about once or twice a year. Perhaps it's the novelty or the "new thing" but looks like there is some interest. Several other shooters - Limited - have said they will bring and shoot SS guns - at some undetermined time... :D Definitely some "buzz" about SS around here...

Do you shoot SS?

I shoot a singlestack in L10 exclusively. And yes the subject was beat to death before singlestack started...Now that its been out there for half a season we can measure the responce. Now we can get all emotional, but the numbers are not there simple as that....Will they increase? MAYBE

The numbers are not right, at least they aren't in Ohio. I just looked at the results for Ohio local matches. Many clubs don't even offer the single stack division. I know I emailed a club last month and they said they will not be doing single stack. So the numbers really aren't accurate.

Another big thing is the classifiers. People look forward to see the update USPSA classification. With Single stack you can't do that.

I think Single Stack has and will continue to be a success. I bet once its official you'll see the numbers go up once all clubs have it as a division and classifiers will be part of the monthly update.

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

The numbers are not right, at least they aren't in Ohio. I just looked at the results for Ohio local matches. Many clubs don't even offer the single stack division. I know I emailed a club last month and they said they will not be doing single stack. So the numbers really aren't accurate.

Another big thing is the classifiers. People look forward to see the update USPSA classification. With Single stack you can't do that.

I think Single Stack has and will continue to be a success. I bet once its official you'll see the numbers go up once all clubs have it as a division and classifiers will be part of the monthly update.

Flyin40

Come up here to North East Ohio Flyin40. We have had 10+ single stack shooter each time at Crooked Creek for our first three matches this year. I think SS will make it if they get it out of the goofy testing period and give it real classifier score and the such. SS is a lot bigger than Revolver and open at most of our matches. I am usuallyone of two revovler shooters at our matches. If we have three revovler shooters I start feeling crowded. :-D

mcb

I would have to say the the single stack nationals were a sussess with 238 shooters compairing it to the Bianche that had only 129..

Oh no... here we go.... :wacko: