Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CM 99-08

ErikW

Why, oh why does everybody else shoot left-right from the draw and right-left from the reload? Don't answer that; it's a rhetorical question.

OK since everyone else seems to know already, I'll volunteer to make an ass of myself and ask what the answer is.

It seems to me that it's more efficient to stay indexed on the last target than to complicate the reload by swinging your body back to the first target and having to reacquire it. Clearly there's something I'm missing :huh:

FWIW, my own score from months ago is 52pts, 10.83sec, 4.8015HF, 59.6% (Production). I don't remember which way I went, just that my draw sucked (as always), my transitions sucked (as always), and my reload wasn't that hot either :ph34r:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MoNsTeR - if you can shoot R-L just as well as L-R (as far as transitions/accuracy goes), then I really don't see a problem at all

personally i go L-R, reload while swinging my gun back to the 1st left target. On classifiers (non-technical) stages... then yeah I almost always do this.

im with lee on this one, unless you can shoot just as good r-l as l-r your probably be just as well to shoot l-r both times(or whatever is your strongest)

im gonna be looking for a 85% ++ run on this one soon enough..and im gonna shoot l-r, reload, L-r im gonna be shooting for about 55 pts in 7 seconds.

harmon

While we're talking about it...

It seems that it's generally assumed that one has a faster direction, and that equal speed in both directions would be an oddity. Why would that be the case? What kind of factor -- wheter physiological, psychological, or whatever -- could cause that kind of performance pattern?

The only thing I can think of is a monotonous practice pattern, e.g. always shooting a plate rack L->R. I can't think of any inherent reason why one direction should be faster. In other words, I think it's nurture rather than nature, and what that means is we can train ourselves to be equally fast in both directions, and thus be able to select an engagement order on better criteria.

Thoughts?

While we're talking about it...

It seems that it's generally assumed that one has a faster direction, and that equal speed in both directions would be an oddity. Why would that be the case? What kind of factor -- wheter physiological, psychological, or whatever -- could cause that kind of performance pattern?

The only thing I can think of is a monotonous practice pattern, e.g. always shooting a plate rack L->R. I can't think of any inherent reason why one direction should be faster. In other words, I think it's nurture rather than nature, and what that means is we can train ourselves to be equally fast in both directions, and thus be able to select an engagement order on better criteria.

Thoughts?

Noah,

I agree, completely. I am only ever so slightly faster going r-l than l-r, but not enough to be a big difference. But I have definately found I am quite a bit faster reloading to the same target than to a different one. So on the stages that are shoot em, reload, shoot em again, I will always engage the last target before the reload as the first target after the reload. That way I just look the mag into the well and index the gun to the same spot it came from.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I shot this one Sunday and had a hard primer in the middle of one of the inside targets. This was my first hard primer in over 15000 rounds, and it was on the classifier! Ended up 10+ seconds and a miss I threw at the last target.

After the squad was finished I shot it again just for grins, no score, no classifier, just to see what I could do it in, and to see where I would have been. Shot it in 7.58 with 56 points spinning right shooting right to left then left to right after the reload. I was really slow on the turn and draw, so I can shoot this one better if I ever run into it again.

Flex's calculator showed me way over 100, so I backed into it the way we used to before we got spoiled, and it would have been a 79%.

Flex's calculator showed me way over 100, so I backed into it the way we used to before we got spoiled, and it would have been a 79%.

My scripts to calculate each division are almost 17,000 characters long, and I'm good for a few typos here and there.... :D

It should calculate your correct % now.... :D

At the March 05 match with the Eastern Shore Practical Shooters over in Maryland, I shot this one in Limited & though the hits were OK, I neglected to start "wrists above shoulders" (and I was not the 1st one up). My own stupid fault for not paying attention. Hence, the -10 procedural. Oh well - would have been a great run!

B Limited, Major

59 pts

- 10 procedural

7.53 seconds

HF 6.5073

D.C. Johnson

I shot this one today in Limited with a single stack. The draw was OK at 1.30 but the reload wasn't stellar at 1.71. Total time was 5.75 so I didn't spend much time on the trigger. Points were poor for a hit factor of 8.695.

I ran the numbers through the classifier calculator on the Ohio USPSA Website and came up with 123%. That just can't be right???

I shot this one today in Limited with a single stack. The draw was OK at 1.30 but the reload wasn't stellar at 1.71. Total time was 5.75 so I didn't spend much time on the trigger. Points were poor for a hit factor of 8.695.

I ran the numbers through the classifier calculator on the Ohio USPSA Website and came up with 123%. That just can't be right???

Limited Calc has been fixed.....I got 8.6950hf at 93.4946%

We shot this one today and I think this is my first open class of this one actually shooting an open gun (last time I shot it as open I was shooting my Limited gun)..

Sargentini, Vince 9 C Open 57 0 8.63 6.6049

I went to the classifier calculator and this one turned out to be 60.8668%

Vince

• 4 weeks later...

Way to go Warrior Princess !!! :D:D:D

Keep it up and you know where you will be!!! :blink::blink::blink:

I ran it a little slower than you.....

8.35 54 points.... Revolver A.... I will check with OHIO USPSA in a little while and find out where we stand.

Hop

Just back from the Ohio USPSA site, complements of Roboman and Flex.....

Shooter Grrl will be having a new classification if she keeps this up !!!!

Warrior Princess..... 80 % ish!!!!!!!! :):P:D:D

Hop.....84% ish......

Sam

Edited by hopalong

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

From yesterday, first match since Sept '05. Not blazing by any means but it's a high C heading for B which is progress from the low C's I shot last year.

Production: 50 Pts, 10.42 Secs, 4.7985 hit factor, 59.5460 national percentage

• 2 weeks later...

This is a fun thread to go back and read.. Jake shooting B-production scores, Flex shooting his first IPSC match ever or something..

Anyway, 5.85, down 1, today (Open). 1.5-ish on both the draw and reload, but I finally took Erik's advice and stayed where I was after the load, which must have been the key advice to finally bust 100% (or maybe it was the imminent rainstorm) ;)