CM 99-08

ErikW

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just shot this one yesterday.

59 points, 9.37 sec. 6.2967 HF

Dropped one C on the left (first) target. I don't know if it was on the draw or after the reload. I shot it left to right on both passes.

Felt kinda blah...I didn't really feel fast, and I didn't really feel accurate--my focus wasn't hard on the sights or the targets. I had the impression of just sort of going through the motions, like maybe I wasn't even really there, and I wasn't keeping track of any one thing in particular.

Somehow, that seemed to work--I'm a C class shooter, and my current average is about 47%, so this run (about 67% nationally?) is real solid for me.

My last one was in the 60s, too, so maybe there's a B card in my near future.

I don't think there's any super strategy for this one. Just techniques--turn and draw, reload, and transitions (as Erik pointed out, the transitions aren't perfectly horizontal).

For the turning draw, I simultaneously snap my head around toward the strong side, reach for the gun, and throw the strong foot backward while pushing off of the weak side foot. I'm often cautioned to turn, then draw, but there's no reason not to establish your grip on the gun before your turn is complete. For me, the turn is nearly complete by the time my grip is established anyway...my feet just need to plant and my weight needs to settle, but I'm already there.

DogmaDog

Edit: Oh yeah, I shot with my L-10 rig--a pretty-much-stock Kimber Gold Match

Shot this one Sunday, Open, 55pts, 6.91sec, 7.9595 HF. Think this will be 79%.

Surprised myself, my 2nd. A class score in two months! Is this one of those Grand Bag Classifiers? Why is it the slow feeling runs are the fastest?

Mark

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I heard a buzz saw and turned around to see her burning it down. I was surprised it was "only" 6.68; I think she must have been slow on the turn-and-draw. (I was second on both turn-and-draw stages, hmmm.)

• 2 weeks later...

Shot this on Easter Sunday, 45degrees, light drizzle. It stoppped spitting H2O long enough for us to unbag the targets which was a good thing. Managed a 6.26 sec run, down 6 points in Production. I snapped around real quick on the buzzer but seemed to be shooting in slow motion on the first 6 shots. I hit a decent reload and pushed a little bit on the 2nd 6 shots. I didn't ask to check the transition times but I think they were pretty quick. that was where I dropped the 3 C's. (I don't mean to be wordy, but someone recently asked that we share more than just the hit factors) :D

Shot this on Easter Sunday, 45degrees, light drizzle. It stoppped spitting H2O long enough for us to unbag the ...

oh, no wonder you beat me on this one...i shot it with the bags ON :P

46 0 9.41 (and turtle thinks 6.23 is slow motion!) 4.8884

Bags off - geezzz, wish I had been in your squad :D

We shot it with the bags on, and a pretty solid drizzle/rain.

Open - 56 pts. 7.89 7.097 hit factor. When I made the turn/draw - i lost track of the dot for about half a second and it cost me a bunch of time. Looks like I have added something else to the dryfire routine.

If only the bags had been off..............

Zach

Zach,

Bags off - geezzz, wish I had been in your squad

Yah, me too. We had one guy shooting, one guy (running the clipboard) scoring, and the last guy taping targets at all times. :P That was definately the smallest squad I ever shot on and the quickest I've got through a York match.

lost track of the dot for about half a second and it cost me a bunch of time

Heck, I forgot to turn mine on, it's a good thing I had those black metal things up there to help. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing around with pushing my speed out of my comort zone and shot this one in 7.14 seconds. Unfortunately, I'm having real problems controlling my shots when I go that fast. This particular stage gave me 3 misses. The really good news is that I KNEW those shots weren't on the target.

So can someone tell me, if I knew they weren't on the target, why the hell did I pull the trigger?