Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Bullet Feeder

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one, but I have not got it fully set up. It took him over a month and couple of phone calls to get the wrong unit delivered. He sent me the right unit after I sent he back the wrong one. Neither unit came with instructions on setup, so I'm having to guess if I got it right. He did not cash my check until he sent me the first unit. I will be giving it a workout later this summer when I start shooting lim-10 again.

• 2 months later...

I am a bit lost here: What new bullet feeder (not sure which Front Sight to look in) and who is "he"? Could someone share the name of the device and the supplier?

TIA,

Chuck

PS: Website would be cool also.

Just to add a little more confusion.

Are we talking about the one with the big bullet hopper on it that costs an arm and both legs (and is pictured with the girl) or the cheaper one (under $200) that's made in Illinois? Both have been in front sight.

If the bullet feeder you are discussing is the unit made by Gaspari & Assoc. (page 32 of of the Jul/Aug Front Sight), I have one that I have owned for a while.

The design has been around for about 10 years. The unit works but is useless without a way to mechanically feed the unit with projectiles. The unit is delivered with a clear plastic tube that holds the projectiles. You must fill the tube as you would fill primers into a Dillon primer feed. The tubes are hand loaded with projectiles and then you must refill the tube every 40 to 60 rounds. NOT a time saver. In an effort to speed the process I found a source for the proper size plastic tubing but that did not solve the underlying problem ... HAND FILLING THE TUBES. IMO it is a waste of time the way it is.

Edited by L9X25

Warp,

That is not true with the Gaspari unit. It requres that you add some bell to the case so that the projectile does not fall off as easy when the shellplate moves. Other methods may actually insert the projectile into the brass a small amount but this unit simply drops it onto the brass with no consistency. You can see the projectile wiggling as the shellplate rotates. If you attempt to get aggressive the projectiles fall over or fall off completely.

BE talked about bullet feeders once. He said sometning about the benfit to them was the consistency they bring to the process, not the speed per se.

Take a look at this

http://bulletfeeder.com/

Looked at that one a while back and it does look good.

Only thing I'm not sure of is if trading in the powdercheck for a bulletfeeder is such a good trade. Yes, you can go faster, but you also lose some "security"

I would never make that trade-off. Maybe it's possible to put the bullet feeder where you would normally seat the bullet and change the crimp die for a seat+crimp die?

I have it installed in my 650 the best I could without instruction, but I can't seem to get it to work reliablity. When it does work, it just drops the bullet onto the brass. It does not seat it. Frankly, it's money I wished I didn't spend. :(

Take a look at this

http://bulletfeeder.com/

What's kind of strange is there's no photos of the unit itself and the videos spend no time focused on the loader, only on the shellplate area where you see bullets being loaded.

I think that's intentional, to keep the mechanism secret, for whatever that's worth. I can't imagine that there's anything too magical about it-- there are a handful of mechanisms, both available commercially and gathering dust in the patent office to do it, it's the tuning and refinement of getting it to work right where the real intellectual property is. In theory somebody could knock it off, but the total market here can't be that huge.

Of course maybe there's a big "Lee" sticker under the ??? tube :D :D

I exchanged several e-mails with the "bulletfeeder.com" guy and he claims that his feeder partially seats the bullet so that you can crank the press as fast as you like without having the projectiles fall or even move. That is a significant improvement over the Gaspari unit.

He estimated that the price for the complete package would be in the vicinity of $500 if my memory is correct.

Robopup,

The unit is not supposed to do more than drop the projectile onto the case. You have to bell the cases slightly more that you normally would to hand load and that makes it more consistent. On my 1050 they provided a metal rail that rides in the extraction groove and stabilizes the movement of the cases.

I bought one of the Gaspari units about 2 years ago. Emidio is a very nice man and it's a very clever design. But as was already stated, without a viable collator it's just a neat little gimick that I do not use.

... as was already stated, without a viable collator it's just a neat little gimick that I do not use.

Yep ... in the original box, under the reloading bench, collecting dust.

For what it is worth, the "bulletfeeder.com" guy said that the Gaspari feeder would work with his collator and he would sell each part seperately for anyone that already had the Gapari unit. After hearing that his unit partially seats the projectile, allowing you to "crank" on the handle, I think I will be ordering the complete package.

... as was already stated, without a viable collator it's just a neat little gimick that I do not use.

Yep ... in the original box, under the reloading bench, collecting dust.

For what it is worth, the "bulletfeeder.com" guy said that the Gaspari feeder would work with his collator and he would sell each part seperately for anyone that already had the Gapari unit. After hearing that his unit partially seats the projectile, allowing you to "crank" on the handle, I think I will be ordering the complete package.

Purely a guess, but I was thinking his bullet drop unit might be similar to the Gaspari device while I was watching the video. To be enclosed in a tube of such similar dimensions, it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

**For those that haven't seen one of the Gaspari units, they have a mechanism not unlike that which catches the main gear in a clock and allows it to advance only one cog per tick. Very clever, actually. Of course, if you've never looked *that* close at a clock you might wonder just what the Hell I'm talking about. :D It has two pins on a single pivoting arm -- one protrudes into the path under the bullet in the drop tube and one above, but never at the same time. As this units rocks back and forth it has the effect of opening the (drop) path to only one bullet at a time.

Like you L9x25, I would probably go for the full package from the "bulletfeeder.com" guy if it works.