Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2006 Uspsa Area 2 Championship

There are a lot of great ideas about how to handle this match. I would offer a few observations:

1. Rio Salado shooters put on the match. They should be allocated x-number of slots first.

2. It is an Area 2 match, so they should x-number of slots next.

3. Then open the match up to everyone else.

Is this a baised approach-absolutely. But it would be nice if shooter in their own area got to shoot their match.

Perhaps splitting A2 into two differenct matchs. Other states might have some facilities that could handle an Area match.

Rio Salado can still host the Desert Classic!

The major question is through put--how to process so many shooters in a given time frame. Queing theory has been around for a long time, there should be some smart person out there who could apply some math to solving the problem.

Perhaps reducing the total number of stages but have a couple of berms be the same stage. That is, Berm 1 and Berm 2 each be stage 1. Berm 3 and Berm 4 each be stage 2. Put some long stages in these berms. This would increase through-put. This could also be done on the far east area where stages could be duplicated. Then you could run field courses in the middle.

So to use the Phrase "thinking outside the box" or "paradigm shift" maybe appropriate.

Just trying to throw some gasoline on the fire so to speak.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My form was arrived by 8am on 8/2/06, still only in wait list, They mix all the forms (120) together which arrived on the 8/2, and not by the time of the delivery.

Thats not right. Just waste the money for Fedex.

I agree. Unfortunately it doesn't really help to voice your opinion here. Our area coordinator is chris endersby.........

Actually an opinion voiced here will be seen by me

I didn't think the ceiling was high enough for you to fit in here! :lol:

Can anyone who used Fedex post their tracking numbers.

Here is ours. We are on the waiting list.

Every area has a regular driver. If he had 120 envelopes he would have to randomly scan them before he left them. So he could have been there at 8am and took 20 minutes to scan all the packages. So it may be the luck of the draw of the Fedex driver.

Tracking number 857437897380

Signed for by Signature release on file

Ship date Aug 1, 2006

Delivery date Aug 2, 2006 8:09 AM

Delivered to Residence

Service type First Overnight Envelope

Left at front door. Package delivered to recipient address - release authorized

Edited by coltgov

I like BritainUSA's idea from yesterday. Those interested in a slot could sign-up for a lottery via the web. I have some friends that produce a series of seminars in Colorado. The demand for space in their retreats way exceeds their capacity (similar to our situation). If you want to attend one of their events you go to their website and sign-up for the lottery for that event. There are safeguards inplace such that nobody can sign-up more than once. Sign-ups are usually open for 20-30 days. Names are drawn electronically at the end of the sign-up period to select both the initial attendees and fill the waiting list. Then Attendees have a resasonable amount of time to pay their fees (all on the web) and confirm their spot. Attendees that don't confirm within the time period lose their slot and it's automatically offered to the next person on the waiting list.

I know this sounds complicated but it works really well. My friends have been using the system for a couple of years now without any major breakdowns. The cool thing is they've automated it on their website to the point where it manages itself most of the time. Someone still needs to monitor it to make sure it's running ok and respond to registration help requests (via email).

Could a system like this be incorporated into the match admin. services at USPSA? Maybe it could even be combined with the squadding system??

My 2 cents.

First off, I in no way want this to be construed as criticism of those great people who run the Rio Salado match. I have attended three times before and always walked away with a very positive impression of the locale and the folks running it. It is a great match as evidenced by it filling up so quickly.

The space limitations for the match are troubling. I realize that we can't necessarily handle 500+ shooters at every major match but it would be nice to be able to resonably accomodate all of the local and Area shooters. I also realize that there is understandable pressure from the Sponsors of an Area match to get "their shooters" in as well. Then, you have to give the folks that are in the point series competition a shot to earn coveted points (if not in one of the above groups). And, it's always nice to have shooters from other parts of the country show up. Boy, this is a lot of shooters... I would not want to trade places with A2Chic for a second.

Brit's web-based method may be a more efficient and cost-effective way to do it but I would suggest that a weighting method might help as well to make sure that local and Area shooters can get into their championship match. If I had my druthers, I wish the match could be expanded so no one gets excluded. Remember, the core of our sport are all the folks that shoot week-in and week-out, spend the money with the sponsors, are willing to spend money to travel, etc.

Chris already has my thoughts on this but I figured I would post it "in my upper Azone" for public comment.

well it seems from the talk so far that this has been a lottery entry type match.

as far as my suggestion on how to fix this from happening again, here goes.

first off this is the area 2 match and people within area 2 sould get 1 week first crack at the match, then it's open to all others (sponsered shooters already have there slots, don't be too superized by this fact)

This is the area 2 match, not he area 2 open/limited.

Since it seems like 300 is the target limit and there are now 6 divisions to enter. then maybe there sould be 50 slots per division to start with. When all the divisions have hit there limit after 3 weeks, then the slots that are not in revo, SS, Lim10 and production could be made available to Open/Limited. Once you have been accepted in a division you can not show up the day of the match and change divions. You will be told to shoot what you entered or go home This will keep people form entering revo, etc just to get in.

USPSA SHOULD MAKE THIS A MANDATE FOR ALL AREA MATCH'S TO TAKE THE RESPOSIBILITY OFF THE PEOPLE RUNNING THE AREA MATCHES.

this will make a lot of people mad, but maybe you could come up with something better.

well it seems from the talk so far that this has been a lottery entry type match.

as far as my suggestion on how to fix this from happening again, here goes.

first off this is the area 2 match and people within area 2 sould get 1 week first crack at the match, then it's open to all others (sponsered shooters already have there slots, don't be too superized by this fact)

This is the area 2 match, not he area 2 open/limited.

Since it seems like 300 is the target limit and there are now 6 divisions to enter. then maybe there sould be 50 slots per division to start with. When all the divisions have hit there limit after 3 weeks, then the slots that are not in revo, SS, Lim10 and production could be made available to Open/Limited. Once you have been accepted in a division you can not show up the day of the match and change divions. You will be told to shoot what you entered or go home This will keep people form entering revo, etc just to get in.

USPSA SHOULD MAKE THIS A MANDATE FOR ALL AREA MATCH'S TO TAKE THE RESPOSIBILITY OFF THE PEOPLE RUNNING THE AREA MATCHES.

this will make a lot of people mad, but maybe you could come up with something better.

Spoken like a true new mezkin! :lol:

Part of the problem is it is 2 matches in one, so shooters are getting one less match to shoot every year. The Desert Classic in years prior to the Area2 would always be sold out, the numbers were around 275 shooters. There are shooters who just want to shoot the Area 2 Championship. This would take some of the number of shooters trying to get into the DC.

I thought the primary reason for Colorado being added to Area 2 was to have another place to host the A2 Championship. New Mexico had it in 1999, since then Rio has been the host if I'm not mistaken. Maybe if all of this energy to get into the DC/A2 would be applied to other clubs to host A2 it wouldn't be so frustrating to some unlucky shooters.

If you really want to shoot the match you can always be a RO/CRO.

I'm just amazed that the Rio crew has done this dual match for so long and at such a high level without total melt down. Maybe some people need to recognize that you can't get into every match you want to. Rio has always done this match ap. on Aug 1 for years proir to this dual match format. Rio needs a break and a big thank you for all of this hard work.

Rich

We have already talked about changes for next year. it will most likely be a true lottery drawing with a 2 week min. opening for apps no fed-x needed.

But still not everyone will get to shoot the match, and people will be still get #@%% off.

We have had the area 2 match the last 5 or 6 years no other clubs wanted to do it that i know of. If someone else wanted it we would still put the match on the same way, its been working for 19 years now!

The A2 MD

We have already talked about changes for next year. it will most likely be a true lottery drawing with a 2 week min. opening for apps no fed-x needed.

But still not everyone will get to shoot the match, and people will be still get #@%% off.

We have had the area 2 match the last 5 or 6 years no other clubs wanted to do it that i know of. If someone else wanted it we would still put the match on the same way, its been working for 19 years now!

The A2 MD

AMEN!!!!!!!! :D

The A2 MD

Can you tell me why the entry of the match are NOT base on the time the form delivery to your address? our forms delivered at 8am on 8/2 and we are only in the waiting list, and people delivered their form after 10:30am on 8/2 and they are in the match??

Is it earlier deliver made us the bottom of the pile? that's not right.

pquan, (and others trying to prove your package arrived at ??:?? time yet somehow Barb treated you unfairly)

First, can you tell me how you know for a fact your package was delivered at that exact time or could there be a possibility that a Fedex, UPS, USPS, person MIGHT fudge a time or two here and there to keep up delivery statistics? (I know the answer to this, my neighbor works for FedEx :D)

Secondly, I don't think ANYONE forsaw that the first day of available delivery would somehow become a problem. Barb has already stated no one was home so there is no way for her to know who's package arrived when.

The last thought is that the RSDC is an incredibly popular match. Those involved with it have always gone to great lengths in order to maintain the equal opportunity for everyone to get into the match. There is only so much room which means there has always been some who didn't make it. The discussion will most definately be had as to what should be done to "FIX" the situation. However, rest assured that next year, some folks will get in and some won't.

Take care, Craig

pquan, (and others trying to prove your package arrived at ??:?? time yet somehow Barb treated you unfairly)

First, can you tell me how you know for a fact your package was delivered at that exact time or could there be a possibility that a Fedex, UPS, USPS, person MIGHT fudge a time or two here and there to keep up delivery statistics? (I know the answer to this, my neighbor works for FedEx :D)

Secondly, I don't think ANYONE forsaw that the first day of available delivery would somehow become a problem. Barb has already stated no one was home so there is no way for her to know who's package arrived when.

The last thought is that the RSDC is an incredibly popular match. Those involved with it have always gone to great lengths in order to maintain the equal opportunity for everyone to get into the match. There is only so much room which means there has always been some who didn't make it. The discussion will most definately be had as to what should be done to "FIX" the situation. However, rest assured that next year, some folks will get in and some won't.

Take care, Craig

Barb,

Is there any way to compile and provide (through the A2 webpage) a list of the registered shooters and waiting list?

It will be easier to have them check the list instead of sending individual emails?

Big Guy

They do a great job. I wouldn't want Barb's job. No matter what happens not everyone will be happy. It's about the shooters and the shooting 1st and foremost but when you see the prize table you will know it's all worth it.