Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2006 Uspsa Area 2 Championship

2006 USPSA Area 2 Championship/19th Annual Rio Salado Desert Classic Match

9-12 November 2006

Hosted by Rio Salado Practical Pistol - Mesa, AZ

Match Application in .pdf format

Match Application in MS Word format

Note: Match Applications WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED postmarked on or after August 1, 2006.

dvc

Jerry

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can't wait for this match. this will be my first time west of the mississippi. i may not want to come back to michigan. :)

and thanks the southwest it's afordable ($89)

thomas,

you'll have a great time. be sure to fedx your entry form.

lynn

i know a couple of snow geese that fly down every year for the winter. be patient grasshoppers the price will come down the closer you get to november. it's a special they advertise here in detroit during the off season, "fly to phoenix for peanuts"

see you all there

We have the new USPSA Area 2 Championship/Rio Salado Desert Classic web site up and running. Things are still in early stages and more details will be added as fast as they come together so remember to bookmark it now.

http://www.riosaladodesertclassic.com

I am working on gathering more past information, photos and such as well to make things more interesting as well.

Enjoy and hope we see you there...

P.S. And I almost forgot to Thank Jerry Mallard for all his work with the Area 2 site. Job well done.

(I need to chat with you sometime as well)

Edited by AZ38super

P.S. And I almost forgot to Thank Jerry Mallard for all his work with the Area 2 site. Job well done.

(I need to chat with you sometime as well)

AZ38super,

Thanks for the nice words about the Area 2 site. Always appreciated.

I'm available to chat anytime by any means.

Home 760-241-5764

Work 661-275-1899

Cell 661-816-9845

jmallard@jmallard.com

jmallard@uspsa2.org

jerry.mallard@ngc.com (work)

P.S. I'll add a link to the website - can I use your logo at the top of the page to advertise?

dvc

Jerry

Edited by jmallard

Jerry

Looking forward to shooting my first A2. Who will be the match hotel so I can get my reservation in early?

Truegent2004,

I hope you enjoy your first Area 2 Match.

I don't have the match hotel information as of yet. As soon as I do, I'll post the information on the Area 2 website and here.

Also, check the new website created for the match http://www.riosaladodesertclassic.com as they will probably post the info before anyone else.

dvc

Jerry

Edited by jmallard

Has anyone been to this match before? Is it worth the $235 match fee? This has to be the highest Area match fee I have seen :( Any comments would be appreciated, thanks!

the match fee is the same as the nationals. however, the prize table and stages have always been over the top.

fwiw: if the match was not any good, the match would not sell out in 6 days, like last year.

lynn

Edited by lynn jones

If it's half as good as SMM3G matches it'll be well worth the cost and the effort. Rio Salado is a great venue, Mesa's a great town and the people are awesome!

Hope to see y'all there,

CB

Edited by Blockhead

Nope, the match is absolutely not worth $235.00. In fact if any of you are thinking of going think again. Don't even bother to send an application in. (Hopefully enough people will believe this BS and skip it so that I can get in, cause I'm definitely going)

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone that hasn't been there, the Area 2 at Rio is THE pistol match to attend. Probably the only other better that I've ever attended would be the '04 Georgia State in Gainesville, GA. That was a great, great match.

The folks at Rio are second to no one in quality of stages, quality of competition (since there's a ton of GM's that shoot there) and without question one of the finest prize tables you will ever see.

One of the fun things we did at the last one that I went to was shoot Tuesday Night Steel at Rio (last day to shoot there before they closed off the remainder of the range for the stages). Shoot Wednesday up at Ben Avery. Thursday was registration/relaxation and reloading. Friday-Sunday was shooting and prize table. I think we got out of there at about 4pm after everything was all said and done. I shot like crap but still came home with ample.

Papa Kelso's if it's still open is a great spot and then some theme restaurant on the main drag in Mesa was good too (I wish I could remember the name). Other hot spots to eat are Zen 32 (sushi), Don & Charlie's (where you can see old school IPSC jersey of Matt Burkett hangin' from the ceiling in the bar...great shrimp cocktail...you gotta try it to understand), Bravo Bistro and Z-Tejas. Granted it's been a while since I've been to Scottsdale/Phoenix Metro, so I apologize if these places aren't there any more. Too, in Tempe there's a Gameworks at Tempe West Mall.

A head's up with it being in November. I haven't looked at the NASCAR schedule, but it seems like this match falls on race week at PIR. So, if it does (again), make sure you get your plane, hotel and car reservations in early.

Rich

From the NASCAR website:

11/12/06 Checker Auto Parts 500 Phoenix International Raceway NBC/3 p.m.

Fortunately, it is on the west side of PHX and the range is on the east side. But, if you want to drive west after getting all that loot at the prize table, you may not be lonley on the 10. Flights out may be an issue.

Rich,

Thanks for the tip! Rooms booked! I know about Tuesday Steel (may get there this Tuesday (Business trip ;) )). Is there a match at Ben Avery or do you just practice?

later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS