Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Shoot Matches In The Rain?

I don't think twice about going to shoot in the rain, even for local matches. Of the handful of majors I've gone to it has rained pretty hard at a few of them (last two Awares and on and off during last year's Area 7). Since I've shot a ton of local matches in horrible weather, it didn't really bother me when I experienced it at a bigger match.

Do it right, invest in some Patagonia or Northface rain gear. It works and lasts forever.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...one club in particular puts on the best and most challenging match. I wouldn't miss that one no matter what.

What match in this area are you referring to that you really like? I want to go too.

-Cuz.

Harvard... They always do an awesome job and the match is always a challenge. :lol:

Thanks. I've never been there. Going to have to make it a point to head up. I don't know why, but I always thought it was an indoor range. Guess not if rain's an issue.

-Cuz

I firmly believe we have the best year-round shooting facility in the Pacific Northwest. The only drawback is that some of our bays are not very deep.

Taping bagged targets sucks. :angry:

Recently we started using some of our "solid" walls (frame w/ landscape fabric) perched atop barrels as rain sheds for static targets. Works pretty well for days when the rain is just coming straight down. Doesn't work so well for days when it blows sideways.

I don't think we've ever treated targets with something to prevent water damage, it always been clear trash bags.

I recall two really, really wet matches that I've shot at other clubs where I swore I wouldn't shoot there again in weather that bad because of their lack of a place to get out of the rain.

The other suck part about really, really wet days is that the worse it gets, the less helpers you have to tape and set targets. :angry:

100% agreement on the taping challenges. We got a lot of experiance taping in the rain (and snow) at this year's SMM3G in Phoenix. One thing that helps a lot is to work in pairs. Bob lifts the bag while Larry guides it up around the staples and snags. Then Larry tapes and pulls it back down while Bob guides the top of the bag over the snags.

+1 on the gore-tex as well. There are also less expensive options from REI, Cabela's, etc... that work ok too. I used a light windbreaker with the REI "Elements" membrane and managed to stay pretty dry in Phoenix. It didn't help much with the cold though (should've brought a parka).

Shot in rain today. :ph34r:

A little water from the sky is no biggie. Wet bags on wet targets, and mud, oh my...

Still better than staying at home, parked in front of the &%#* computer. :wacko:

Shot the PSA Shootout in steady rain yesterday --- twice. Thanks to the canopies, it was manageable.

On target taping, Larry Houck introduced me to the best bags at last year's Summer Blast: Shredder bags, available at any satationary store. They're just the right size for targets.....

Shot the PSA Shootout in steady rain yesterday --- twice. Thanks to the canopies, it was manageable.

On target taping, Larry Houck introduced me to the best bags at last year's Summer Blast: Shredder bags, available at any satationary store. They're just the right size for targets.....

We've used Dry Cleaner bags on occasion. Not as heavy duty as shredder bags but much cheaper.

-Cuz

There are also less expensive options from REI, Cabela's, etc... that work ok too.

... try Wal-Mart as well. I got some great Stearns "DryWear" pants that are big enough to fit over the jeans I wear for 19 bucks.

We've used Dry Cleaner bags on occasion. Not as heavy duty as shredder bags but much cheaper.

-Cuz

Yup --- I know they're cheaper, but also more of a pain to work with, due to the extra length.....

I said this last year:

We don’t often have rain on the Llano Estacado (this year seems to be the exception, with three matches canceled) but the actual rain would not normally keep us from having a match. We don’t shoot because of the lightning threat, the high winds and the mud. Our range is mostly caliche with a little alluvial gravel thrown in. Wet caliche is slicker than snot on a glass door knob. Running is out of the question and walking is a real challenge.

If I have driven 500 miles to shoot and the local hosts are keeping the match going I will be there to the end. Didn’t like it much but did it twice last year.

This year (2006) has seen record drought conditions but we have already had a rain out day. :(

David C

Edited by geezer-lock

I remember being an RO on a stage where it was raining cats and dogs. A competitor asked me if it would be OK if his buddy run behind him while he was shooting so the buddy could hold an umbrella over him.

I was laughing my butt off before he told me they were actually serious....

Guess I was considered a hard azz RO that day...we all stayed nice and wet and cold that day.

If it is a drizzle we still set up and shoot. If it is a drizzle and we have already set-up and it starts to rain harder, we still shoot. If it is really coming down as in Noah, Finish that Boat type of rain, we generally stay home.

A few years back at the Norht american Tactical (Kyle Lamb's match) we were shooting in pouring rain on a rifle stage. We were wondering if they would hold to the next day. kyle's comment was: We can still see the targets at 300 yarsds, shoot. Just after I swam through the stage, the rain got into gear and really came down, you could no longer see the distant targets, we held off till morning.

So yup, we shoot in the rain.

And when it rains that hard, rain gear is only good to wrap your spare gear in, you are going to get wet!

Jim

Shoot... Yes....

I love RO'ing in the rain...If you are going to play this game.. get some all weather clothes and shoes....

I worked a major match last year where we had beautiful weather all day saturday,then Sunday it was absolutly horrible it was then I learned the true value of heated car seats.....

We got 3 inches of rain last night. Called and asked if the match was still on. We got another 1/2 inch just after the shooter ready call. Sgt. Squishy and the short bus squad stayed in the rain and shot anyway. :unsure:

The Match Directors before me had a blurb at the top of the webpage that told shooters to give them a call if the weather looked bad.

When I took the job I had it changed to read this:

If the weather looks too wet or cold, please DON'T call or email Kyle the night before the match! Kyle says this is practical shooting...unless Mother Natural completely wipes out the range, we will be shooting!!!

Rain isn't so bad...cold isn't so bad either....combine them and they test my patience. SMM3G this year was pretty brutal, but I stuck it out.

I need to get some cold/wet weather shooting gloves, the nomex gloves I have didn't cut it at all...but then again I never expected 35 degrees and rain at the same time in the Phoenix Metro area.

UPDATE:

Well, living in Massachusetts is tough enough with all our stupid gun laws but it's now been raining for 6 days straight with another 2 more to go. When I say rain I'm talking 2-5" per day!!!! Some local towns have been hit so far with this storm system up to 12" of rain... It's not only rainy but it's windy and cold.....

So.... I shot my first match today in the monsoon weather we've been having. Not nearly as bad as I would have thought. I picked up some decent rain gear and was able to stay dry (for the most part) and I wore layers to stay warm. About a 3rd of the shooters showed up today but it was a great time.

Now, the question is... Will I shoot AGAIN in the rain???

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!

But, let's hope we get some nice weather for a change..

Pete

The question lateley here is do we ever shoot in the sun? if you don't belive me ask Jake this year has been cursed by the rain gods!

If i am going to compete in a major match in the rain i really have no choice i can't justify drivin 10 hours spending a couple hundred bucks in travel/match fees then quit and go home.

If the weather looks too wet or cold, please DON'T call or email Kyle the night before the match! Kyle says this is practical shooting...unless Mother Natural completely wipes out the range, we will be shooting!!!

IIRC i remember kyle wading chest deep water to get to a match once. He is the ohio iron man that's for sure!