Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumbler Buying Decision

I plan to start reloading in the near future. A friend has a very lightly used Dillion FL - 2000 tumbler that he wants to sell for $85. This seems a bit high priced to me and I'm not sure what these models cost when new. I think its about 6 yrs old. I don't really need that large a tumbler, however, it also comes with some new media. This isn't worth spending too much time contemplating, but I don't know how these items hold up and am wondering whether to offer him $40 - 50 or buy a brand new smaller model?

Thx,

Doug

I plan to start reloading in the near future. A friend has a very lightly used Dillion FL - 2000 tumbler that he wants to sell for $85. This seems a bit high priced to me and I'm not sure what these models cost when new. I think its about 6 yrs old. I don't really need that large a tumbler, however, it also comes with some new media. This isn't worth spending too much time contemplating, but I don't know how these items hold up and am wondering whether to offer him $40 - 50 or buy a brand new smaller model?

Thx,

Doug

I've had mine 3 years and it is great BUT it is really to large at times so I have the smaller model too. You cannot go wrong with a Dillon.

I don't know too much about the longevity of that model but you also have to keep in mind that tumblers work most efficiently with a full load.

If you do some heavy duty shootin' it should be fine but I have the cv500 from dillon and it'll clean more than I can shoot in one day. I also have the small midway tumbler and it works great also. That's what I would get if you don't have to have a bunch of cases cleaned at one time.

I bought my tumblers long before I caught the Dillon bug.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Lyman tumbler. I've got a 20 year old turbo 1200 that is still going strong and I use it weekly or more and I always tumble 16+ hours (overnight).

I've also got a Turbo 2500 Pro Magnum that has been excellent as well. This would be my pick for someone not needing the size of the big Dillon, but more than the Dillon 500.

Both are cheaper than the Dillon if that matter to you. Midway has the Turbo 2500 Pro Magnum on sale now for $69.99.

FWIW, The FL-2000 is no longer consistantly supportable for replacement parts by Dillon. This model was discontinued in 1992, when that motor manufacturer went out of business. We ran out of new replacement parts a few years ago. If the motor oges belly-up, then all we can do you is offer you a replacement CV-2001 cleaner for $85.00 plus your old cleaner in trade.

We cannibalize whatever we can from these units for rebuilding, but not often do we get a live motor out of one.

As previously pointed out, the more completely full a vibratory cleaner is, the faster it cleans cases. So if you have about 1000 pieces of 45ACP to be cleaned each time, go with the large cleaner. If not, I recommend the smaller cleaner. Either way a full batch of brass in either cleaner should take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to clean. :ph34r:

New or used, the big Dillon is the only tumbler you should consider. It's next in line on my list. My max purchasing threshold on used electronics that are out of warranty is 50%. And that would only be for something that is in outstanding condition.

New or used, the big Dillon is the only tumbler you should consider. It's next in line on my list. My max purchasing threshold on used electronics that are out of warranty is 50%. And that would only be for something that is in outstanding condition.

The only reloading decision I ever regretted was not going for the bigger tumbler. A bigger tumbler means you can wait longer before you have to tumble brass. As it is now with my small one I put it off until the last minute and then tumble about 10 loads consecutively. That works out to about one solid 2 or 3 day weekend of tumbling every other month. It's been working perfectly for the past 10 years. I almost wish the darn thing would break so I could replace it with a bigger one. I hate to replace something that works fine.

Get the biggest one you can afford and don't look back. Based on what Dillon said about the model you are considering I would pass unless you can score it for around $40 max. Otherwise put the money towards a new one.

-Cuz.

Thanks for all the input guys; I certainly didn't expect to get this much feedback. I want to look it over and will probably offer him $40 for it since its an old unit.

Doug

That would be reasonable especially since it's no longer servicable by Dillon.

Then you could use it till it breaks and by that time you'll know for sure if you need to replace it with a big one or a smaller one.

-Cuz.

Thx,

Doug

The one I got from Midway for $50 including media seems to work pretty well, though I've only run a few thousand cases through it so far.

The big Dillon tumbler is easier to fill (I use 5 gallon buckets for my brass.) Less time messing with reloading stuff is better IMO so my vote is go big. The media seperator is a must have also.

I agree with that 100% I still have my "little" tumbler, it's sitting unused in the corner. Every time I see it I think "man, how did I EVER think THAT would do the job"? :wacko:

Ed

Many years ago, I ordered the small Dillon tumbler to replace the tiny rock tumbler I had been using. Like going from a Pinto to a Hummer for me. When it gave up the ghost awhile back, I called Dillon to order a new motor. They told me they no longer had that motor, and just how old was it anyway? I had no idea(longer than I cared to think about), except it was a large number of years. I sent them my old tumbler, they sent me a new one. Service like that is why Dillon equipment is the only thing on my bench.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also a big Dillon fan and would have liked a Dillon tumbler. they are not available over here in the UK and to have one shipped to me from Dillon would cost more in shipping that the tumbler costs!

I have just bought a Lyman turbo pro 1200 with some treated media. I'm impressed how clean it has got my fired cases, they are shiney as new. I put 300 cases in each time and they get 4 hours of tumbling time.

Does the CV-2001 and the CV-500 share the same motor?

96.5% certain the answer is no. I believe that the 2001 uses a ball bearing motor and the 500 uses a bushing motor. The bushing motors do not have nearly the life of the ball bearing motors. Dillon cheerfully replaced my motor for $35 including return shipping. Cost me $15 to get the machine to Dillon. Paid $90 + shipping originally. So...I now have $140 into a tumbler that will probably wear out another motor in a couple years. I could have coughed up the $140 and bought a 2001 from the get-go and never had to ship anything anywhere...AND have a tumbler that would probably die after I did. I'm not saying that a 2001 has never failed, but you sure don't hear about them croaking.

If you're going to shoot any type of action shooting - the CV-2001 is the only tumbler you should consider buying - from Dillon or anyone else (buy it from Brian, of course). If you *know* that you'll only ever be shooting 1K or 2K a year - don't ask me what shooting sport that would be - you can save a few dollars with the CV-500. Just know that there's probably a good chance you won't save anything in the end.

FWIW...

Actually, both the CV 500 and the CV 2001 motors have sealed ball bearings;neither one uses a bushing. The motors are not the same. The CV 2001 motor is larger, and has a caged cooling fan. The CV500 lacks the sheet metal cage, and the counterweight/cooling fan are one and the same. It depends on the volume of brass you have to clean as to which unit best meets your needs. In both units, the more full it is with brass, the faster and more efficiently it cleans. A full load of brass in either unit will typically take about 2 hours to clean. However, either one with a full load of media and a half load of brass will take much longer to clean, and not do as well. Check out the capacity of each, mentally figure out how often you have that much brass to clean and load, and go from there. :ph34r:

Dillon,

Has that changed over the years? Because the motor in my CV 500 sure as heck *looked* like it had bronze bushings and not bearings. In fact, I'm nearly postive of that. I've never seen a ball bearing with a brass race before.

But, if I am wrong, which may well be the cae, my apologies for any disinformation.

E

So in essence one will choose either tumbler depending on the amount of brass you would be cleaning at a given time? And that the life of both motors are the same? I highly respect the opinion of Eric, and he does have experience with the product. Regardless of the motor being bushing or bearing, if the CV2001 is sturdier and will last me a longer time, then thats where I will be putting my money. :) Unless of course Dillon can tell us that performance is the same? I don't think you gave us any misinformation Eric, you just shared your experience with us, which is invaluable and ultimately more important than the specs. Thanks!!!