Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp Or Metalloy?

Duane Thomas

For an article in The Complete Book of the 1911, I need to have a gun hard chromed. The two names - neither of whose work I'm familiar with - that keep coming up are Metalloy and Tripp. For those who might be familiar with both, which would you choose and why? (And please, no one suggest Accurate Plating & Weaponry to me. I despise the ground those people walk on.)

For an article in The Complete Book of the 1911, I need to have a gun hard chromed. The two names - neither of whose work I'm familiar with - that keep coming up are Metalloy and Tripp. For those who might be familiar with both, which would you choose and why? (And please, no one suggest Accurate Plating & Weaponry to me. I despise the ground those people walk on.)

I had my Browning HiPower coated by Metalloy about 15 years ago and it's held up pretty well.

While I don't have any personal experience with the Tripp coating, I have never heard a bad word spoken about their work. I would feel confident going with either.

-Chet

I have never talked to the folks at metalloy but have had work done by Virgil Tripp. He does excellent work and is a real gentleman to deal with. He has an excellent turnaround time on hard chroming jobs (7-10 days) and he pays attention to the little details. I would entrust him with anyone of my guns on a moments notice.

This gun was built and chromed by Virgil.

post-4942-1144808357.jpg

Edited by rubberneck

I had my Edge done by Metaloy, and 60K rounds later it is as tight as day one. The finish has held up and has no flaws whatsoever. I sent my Trojan to Tripp along with a friend's gun to split shipping. The finish is as nice with one exception, the front edges of the slide are rough, and the gun came back with the mainspring housing pin hanging out, the bushing turned sideways, and the slide stop sticking out a ways. The partial assembly is no big deal, and the rough edges were not important enough to mention since this is a gun that will get lots of abuse. Bottom line Duane, both of these guys have a great reputation, call them and talk to them, they were both accessible to me, and go with the one you feel most comfortable with. Maybe if you tell them you are featuring their work in your article, they will do your gun personally.

No experience with Metalloy, but I did have my pistol chromed by Tripp last thanksgiving and it was excellent. Turned out well enough that one of the guys I shoot with had his pistol chromed by Tripp, and then had Tripp build his open gun that was delivered today.

Tripp chromed every single part of my custom Rock Ranch 2011 - with the exception of the grip, sights and trigger. When it came back to me, it was re-assembled exactly as it was when I sent in the gun, including the trigger. Only exception would be that it was a LOT cleaner. :D

Since then I've probably run between 4-5,000 rounds through it, and tons of dryfiring at home. The finish has held up as expected, with only a slight "polishing" on the slide from the contact with my Safariland 012.

Gun looks good, and I expect it to hold up through the lifetime of the pistol.

I can highly recc'd Tripp.

I have seen several guns by Metaloy, some done quite a while ago and his work is good, even the older guns have held up well. But all the guns from Triangle Shooting Sports go to Tripp. I see most of those guns and have never felt they were lacking in any way. As long as Tripp is still working I cant imagine Benny sending a gun anywhere else unless a customer just insisted on it. My guns were done by Tripp and if I ever do another one it will be too.-------Larry

My Open gun was done by Tripp. Exellent work. Just bought a Limited gun built and hard chromed by Tripp. Very pleased in all regards. I will add to this post when my recently aquired .40 Trojan ( thanks Dale) gets back from having the ramp redone and a hard chrome job. The other .40 Trojan Virgil did for me was perfect. I anticipate this one will be of the same excellent quality as the others I have had done.... The Tripps are very nice people also - if that counts for anything...

I once owned (and then sold) a SS .45 chromed by Metaloy and it was a very nice clean finish.... The gun was done before I bought it so I don't know how they do business..?

Tripp did my current Limited gun and did a very nice job. I asked for polished flats and matte rounds, and that is what I got. Tripp plating is even in color, texture, thickness and overall extremely consistent. I think most of the top smiths use Tripp for these reasons. The gun needed NO lapping or break-in after plating, dead tight and smooth. My only complaint with the Tripp plating is that they didn't finish the polish job on the flats, it needs another couple grits and trips the to glass plate for true polished flats. Not a big deal at all, and NO ONE but me has mentioned it.......

Another place you need to check into is Accurate Plating and Weaponry, they do the best polished flats in the business.

If you don't want or need a high polish on the flats Tripp is as good at plating guns as anyone on the planet, and I am sure if you asked for mirror flats they could accomodate that easily.

AP&W does a really nice job too, I still have some guns they did for me in the early 90's and they have held up really well. Still tight and as good looking as ever.

I am kind of torn between Tripp and AP&W. Tripp does an overall more even color and thickness, both important points. AP&W does a more cosmetically appealing job with dead tough chrome to last a lifetime.

I finally settled on one to Tripp, one to AP&W, one to Tripp............

BTW, the principals in both companies are REALLY REALLY good custom pistolsmiths in every sense of the word. Both have done work for me and the custom work from both have been absolutely fantastic. BTW, both told me they got in the business because no one else could plate guns right LOL! Both are really nice guys and a pleasure to do business with.

Sorry to add more confusion. I really can't speak to Metalife. The last gun he did for me is ten years gone. I think the statuate of limitations should apply in this case. I don't remember having a single complaint about the plating but it was a LONG time ago and I can't swear to anything one way or the other.

My dad has a singlestack that was hardchromed by Metalloy. Very nice finish, has held up well over the past 20 years...still looks great too. That said, the guns I've seen that were done by Tripp were every bit as good. Tripp used to be the easy choice, since they do a good job, but were significantly cheaper, but IIRC they've raised their prices. Since they both do good work, I'd go with whichever was cheaper.

Maybe a slight nod towards Tripp, since he supports the IPSC crowd more, but that's not based on the quality of work either provides.

I've had three guns done now by Virgil and I wouldn't consider anyone else. Virgil treats you like you're his only customer. You can call him up on up the phone and ask questions and you don't get the feeling like he needs to run and do something else. Outstanding work every time...and he's fast!

Geographical location is always important.

Metalloy or Tripp will do great in their areas, or if shipping is not a concern adding to the final cost. Turn around time is variable at best, and a true concern, but sometimes is worth waiting a bit for a top notch job.

For a while now I have been using T&A Plating of Hialeah, Florida. They have been in business for over thirty years and have great references to boast upon. (They only do guns - no bumpers or motorcycle parts!) Their turn around time is extremely short, usually done within 48 hours of receiving the gun. The do Hard Chrome, Nickel, Blue, Gold, Parkerizing, and even "antique brass". HINT - Their shipping charges are nice and affordable, something to consider when shipping from out of the State. T&A may not have the personal "aura" of Metaloy or Tripp, but they definetely pack the "Quality Punch" that competitive shooters look for. IMHO. :wub:;)B)

Does Tripp or Metalloy support the competitive shooting sports? (...they very well may, I just don't happen to know the answer...)

(Sorry Duane, I know you don't want to hear it, but I picked up an AP&W certificate off the prize table at the USPSA Nationals last year, and was very pleased with the hard chrome job they performed on an alloy-framed 1911, and that is not an easy task from what I hear.)

I think it's important to patronize businesses that support our game.

(And please, no one suggest Accurate Plating & Weaponry to me. I despise the ground those people walk on.)

This sounds like a comment we would expect to hear from a mod on the 1911forum....

<_<

Edited by Carmoney

Does Tripp or Metalloy support the competitive shooting sports?

Mike,

As one of the co-designers of the 2011-style firearms, Virgil supports the competitive shooting sports in the most fundamental way.

My $.02,

Liota

In the past Virgil has donated more to matches. Right now he is a little strapped for cash after setting up to build magazines. That stuff is expensive. I don't doubt that he was start again when he get a little more flush. As far as other platers, Techplate, Robar and AP&W have all made donations to Area 1.

I've had three guns done now by Virgil and I wouldn't consider anyone else. Virgil treats you like you're his only customer. You can call him up on up the phone and ask questions and you don't get the feeling like he needs to run and do something else. Outstanding work every time...and he's fast!

+1

I had my Limited gun chromed by Tripp and I just got the Open gun he built for me last Tuesday. They both look great and the customer service was unlike anything I have experienced in a long time.

Also, I got my Limited gun back from being chromed in 10 days.

Darin