Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp Or Metalloy?

Duane Thomas

Does Tripp or Metalloy support the competitive shooting sports? (...they very well may, I just don't happen to know the answer...)

(Sorry Duane, I know you don't want to hear it, but I picked up an AP&W certificate off the prize table at the USPSA Nationals last year, and was very pleased with the hard chrome job they performed on an alloy-framed 1911, and that is not an easy task from what I hear.)

I think it's important to patronize businesses that support our game.

(And please, no one suggest Accurate Plating & Weaponry to me. I despise the ground those people walk on.)

This sounds like a comment we would expect to hear from a mod on the 1911forum....

<_<

I know Virgil has donated some of his new mags as prizes.

I'll hit him up for a sponsorship and see what he says!

Tripp or Techplate get my vote. I'll use Techplate again only because I had a few flaws on my last Tripp job and Techplate has been perfect the last 4 jobs they've done. I also like the less than 2 week turn around from Techplate.

Tripp or Techplate get my vote. I'll use Techplate again only because I had a few flaws on my last Tripp job and Techplate has been perfect the last 4 jobs they've done. I also like the less than 2 week turn around from Techplate.

What kind of flaws?

I have no experience with Tripp nor seen his work so I cannot talk about his work.

My best experiences were with Checkmate in Florida. They have since sold and I believe are called White Wolf or something similar. The guns they did came back great with matte where I asked and polished where requested. The finish has held up fantastic and that includes two Paras they did 10 and 12 years ago.

Metaloy does a good job but you will only get everything in a matte finish unless you request and pay extra for polishing. I will be sending a SA 1911 to them next month though, and for this particular gun, I do want it all matte.

I used APW once because of a prize table certificate. They did my SIG P226 in 1992 and it still is holding up. Even the alloy frame. The only negative with APW was the lettering on the slide wasn't as crisp and clean as Checkmate did.

If money were not a concern, I would pick NP3 as a first choice.

This sounds like a comment we would expect to hear from a mod on the 1911forum....

If you do a search, somewhere on these forums you'll find a recounting of my APW experience. My attitude is not unwarranted.

On another topic, I called Tripp Plating in Buffalo, NY again today and asked for Virgil Tripp. The guy I was talking to didn't even recognize the name and told me the boss, Steve, was too busy to talk to me. What am I missing here?

Thanks, guys. The ol' forty-watter had already popped for me, and I figured it had to be the wrong company. That's what I get for just typing "Tripp, plating" into yahoo. This time I typed "Virgil Tripp" and it came right up, obviously the right company.

My STI is on its way to Tripp right now.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

I've had good experiences with METALIFE in the past.

This time I thought I'd try Tripp because of the fast turn around (I hope).

:)

According to ups tracking, Tripp received My gun at about 3:00pm on Thursday April 13.

I got the gun back this morning, April 21. :D

WOW, it only took about a week.

The gun looks wonderfull.

STItripp006.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Everything I've heard about both is positive. The only experience I've had was 3 pistols done by Metalloy over a 5 year period. Their turnaround was less than a week and the quality was exceptional.

My .02

I've had many pistols hard chromed by Metaloy, even when they were in Tulsa!! I truly believe Chris is doing the best hard chroming now being done. Tripp is a good guy too but I have to vote for Metaloy both for quality and service. Metaloy has been around a long time and has supported USPSA\IPSC since it began.