Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Comp/brake For Tactical Division?

eringobragh

Just as the title states, I was curious as to what comps/brakes you guys are using for Tactical division. I'm building up a rifle and trying to figure out which way to go...was considering a Benny Cooley or Miculek!? Trying to take as much recoil/movement out of the rifle as possible...have a Enidine AR-restor in route to try also.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The F2 AR15 Compensator.

"...the best off-the-shelf compensator on the market today..."

-Beven Grams, Grams Engineering

Or so I have heard :)

The F2 was designed by Fred Hindman with assistance from CD Dunn, Kenny Barsch, Bill Powe, Cary Baker, and some other jerk whose name escapes me. They are machined, not cast ;) , from 4140 and heat treated to 42 Rockwell. The Bang Inc. comp is cheaper, the Cooley is more expensive, but Beven and a whole bunch of other folks (who have shot most everything on the market) like the F2 best.

Alex

Yes the comp makes a difference, however I suggest the JP LMOS bolt carrier to really cut down on perceived recoil. I have shot most of the comp's listed and they all work great (some louder then others) but they will all cut down recoil. I have seen the $35 Smith shoot like a .22LR with the LMOS. The stainless version is for your everyday comp gun, the alloy is a little more particular. Give John a call and he can lead you in the right direction. Alex and Liota are great folks and I bet they would second the LMOS with the F2 for the flattest possible solution.

Here is (top to bottom): F2, Triangle Shooting Sports, JP "Cooley", Bang Inc, and a JP "Open". See if you can figure out which one has the most surface area on the baffles for the most effect...

Fredcomp_mob_1.JPG

See if you can figure out which compensator is tuned for the usual "up and to the right" movement of an AR ;)

Fredcomp_mob_2.JPG

Alex

Fred delivered one of his incredible F2's this week attached to a cryo'ed stainless DCM 20" barrel.

F2Compensator003_edited.jpg

F2Compensator005_edited.jpg

F2Compensator002_edited.jpg

Soon as Sluggo gets back from some place in Arizona he's gonna help bolt it into a new upper with one of Dan Young's lightened hard-chromed carriers.

DSCN0003.jpg

DSCN0004.jpg

Then we'll see if we can make it shoot.

Edited by MyBoyElroy

threaddrift

Who is Dan Young and what are these lightened carriers you speak of?

Young Manufacturing National Match bolt carriers and other fun things. Complete uppers etc too. One on the top is a full weight high power carrier and the other two are lightened carriers.

One lightened carrier is Sluggo's.

Edited by MyBoyElroy

Mr. Wakal,

Should I expect any problems/issues attaching one of your interesting brakes to my standard M4 type barrel? Will a crush washer suffice, or should I time it with peels? Anyone have some pics of one...perhaps attached to an M4?

Isn't the Young carrier what MSTN uses in their 3-Gun uppers?

Yes. MSTN sells the lightened YM carriers as part of competition uppers or complete rifles only tho'. Good stuff but expensive. I've also seen YM parts sold by Les Baer also but don't know if that arrangement still exists. I got lucky and talked to Dan Young just after he did a run of lightened carriers for a customer. He ran two extra for Mr. Murphy's benefit. He promised me he'd sell them to me if he didn't need them to complete the order. As luck would have it I got both of them. It had been so long since he sold any directly he had to look up what to charge for them and then charged the same price from years ago. Yes, I told Dan "Thank you". :)

A lightened carrier will move from rest easier and will therefore have more V on it than a stock one if you don't adjust the gas system down a bit. An adjustable gas block helps a light carrier not get over-accelerated from a full bore gas pulse and get slammed into a stacked spring/buffer hard enough to add a new impulse to the rifle after you removed the rest of them ;-/

Yeah, I know some folks run low mass carriers with full gas, but I don't. The JP Rifles recommendation is to tune it down so I follow them on this. There is an observable reduction of sight bounce if you tune the gas system to optimum for the actual carrier mass.

F2 are nice on M4...I had one on my M4 Bushy upper (16"), and it worked great...then I cut my barrel back to 14.5" and put the F2 back on...it worked even better (more gas pressure ;) ). Then I built a 7" upper...oh, my...

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/imag.../AR15_A2_M4.JPG

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/imag...5_SBR_dec05.jpg

I got the BATFE to admit that with a single SBR stamp, I could have any barrel length in any caliber (under 16" and .500) without additional paperwork (on the same receiver)... ;)

My Open rifle has the JP lightened stainless steel carrier and buffer, a heavily modifed Yankee Hill gas block (under a Larue forend), and an adjustable gas tube with a Sabre 16" stainless government profile barrel and (of course) an F2. It works very well.

A

Where can I order an F2. I am in the process of having a rifle built and I need to decide on a comp. I am looking at the JP BC comp and the F2 for now. What is the price of the F2?