Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Comp/brake For Tactical Division?

eringobragh

Actually, I'm stationed in Turkey now and I don't make anything anymore :(

However, you can talk to the nice folks at Flatlandforge (Jim and Kathleen Poor) and they will be able to hook you up. They also make a neat "secondary" iron sight rail that is light years ahead of anything else available :)

http://www.flatlandforge.com/GunMain.htm

For the record (since I'm sure it will come up) I have no relationship beyond friendship with Jim and his wife, just as I have no relationship beyond friendship with any of the other fine folks whom I also frequently recommend in the strongest possible positive terms (such as...in no particular order...Dan Bedell, Benny Hill, Beven Grams...).

Alex

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
OK, Fred Hindman and the Poor people from .Flatland Forge biggrin.gif bring you the AR15 Auxilary Sight Rail. Pictures by Bruce Foreman

How Much? Was thinkin about gettin the JP one but u have my attention.......

Edited by jbullgpd

I have 3 of the comps pictured on guns presently. The Cooley, Miculek and the JP comp. They all work well, the JP is a little softer but extremely loud. Shooters around you will hate it. I am using all of these in cojunction with the JP low mass operating system and thier adjustable gas block. I may order the F-2 to see how it compares.

• 1 month later...

Using the advice of this board I ordered and just recieved my F2 Comp from Flatland Forge. It looks OK however there was no crush washer included. Its not a big thing but I dont exactly keep them laying around. I ordered one from Brownells and with shipping it was over $6. Its not the cost but I would have gladly paid a few more bucks to have one included to save the trouble of ordering one.

We shall see how well it works soon I hope.

It's pretty common to not use a crush washer to mount a comp on an AR. I know Triangle Shooting Sports does not.

If you file/sand/polish the face of threaded end of the comp you can get it so the comp is able to be hand turned until it is 1/4 or so of a turn short of being aligned. After that use a mechanical means (wrench, a wooden dowel thorugh the ports, etc) to torque it into place. No washer needed.

If you take a look at the installs on the first page and on the Flatland Forge webpage I don't think you will see a crush washer used in the installation.

It's pretty common to not use a crush washer to mount a comp on an AR. I know Triangle Shooting Sports does not.

If you file/sand/polish the face of threaded end of the comp you can get it so the comp is able to be hand turned until it is 1/4 or so of a turn short of being aligned. After that use a mechanical means (wrench, a wooden dowel thorugh the ports, etc) to torque it into place. No washer needed.

If you take a look at the installs on the first page and on the Flatland Forge webpage I don't think you will see a crush washer used in the installation.

I didnt know that. I would rather just use a crush washer to install it and I dont see how it would hurt. The Noveske Flaming Hog I just put on my SBR was very easy to align, came with one and in the past the few other brakes/flash hiders that were directionaly sensitive I have used have all been installed and indexed using one. First time for everything I guess.

Edited by tnek

All of them are legal in all venues except for the JP Tank brake. The JP BC brake is OK though.

The rule on muzzle brakes used for Iron and Tactical/Scope everywhere is 1" maximum diameter, 3" maximum length.

You can install comps with crush or peel washers, but it doesn't look very professional. Whatever works, though, is fine. Functional over pretty :)

Alex

Ahh, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

All of them are legal in all venues except for the JP Tank brake. The JP BC brake is OK though.

The rule on muzzle brakes used for Iron and Tactical/Scope everywhere is 1" maximum diameter, 3" maximum length.

Thx George!!!

Ahh, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Sometimes beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

:D

You HAVE GOT to have hidden camera pointed at my computer desk. Mr. Bass or a close relative is usually by my side when surfing. :ph34r:

I have to add one more thing concerning the crush washer issue. I installed my F2 and discovered that my Colt factory barrel is not threaded all the way and the F2 is not counter bored so it will not thread all the way on. I HAD to use a crush washer and would with any kind of flash hider or comp.

When we thread barrels in house, we leave a bit of a step between the threads and the shoulder (a "CD" trick ;) ). Some barrel makers do the same, and some thread right to the shoulder.

Colt, obviously, is in the latter group :(

I'm rather fond of Sabre barrels; they do it the "step" way (and make a hell of a nice barrel for very little money).

A

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know it's a little late, but the Rolling Thunder from Benny Hill is awesome! I put it on the night before our last match and it really tamed the 16".. The Eotech dot doesn't come off the upper A/B at 40 yards. Saweeeet...

Thanks Benny..

Mike

Seen it in action. There are flatter comps. It's really hard to tell unless you know if they are running a lightened carrier, adj gas system etc... But he was running all and it still moved.

The F2 and the Rolliong Thunder are the flatest legal comps I've seen..

Mike