Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Comp/brake For Tactical Division?

eringobragh

I have heard good things (except for it being loud) about Bushmasters Tri Y comp. Anyone ever try one of those?

G45

I had a mini Y for a very short time. hated it, for once I was happy I did such a lousy job of mounting it and I shot the thing off.

it was very loud to me, and while the muzzle didn't rise much, the violent vibrations it caused made quick follow up shot difficult. after I shot it off, I found I pefered a plain barrel over the mini Y.

I later mounted a postban jp tank break on the same upper, and it just rocks :D

10 time better than the mini Y.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rishii,

Only problem is the Recoil Eliminator isn't legal for Tactical Division.

I've got both the RE and BC Comps from JP and love them both. When it came time to build the new rifle there was no doubt that I'd be running the BC. It allows me to run in Open with very little sacrifice.

The only other comps that I was considering was the Miculek and Rolling Thunder. A lot of that is probably a lack of knowledge of the F2. In looking at its design, it definitely looks like it'd do the job, VERY well. The large baffle is what makes me think so the most.

In the end, like Mike Pinto said, I find it easier to judge the performance of the compensator, with lightened carriers (I have the LMOS) and an adjustable gas block. Let's me concentrate on just the compensator's performance...but that's my preference. I suppose you could do it with all things being equal on both, but again...not my preference.

Looks like I found a perfect excuse to build three more rifles (i.e. Miculek, Rolling Thunder and the F2).

Rich

Has anyone had experience with the comps from Vanden Berg Custom :

or the comp from the guys at Mid South Tactical Network:

[url=http://http://www.pri-mounts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PRI&Product_Code=05-0089&Category_Code=AR15_M16_ACC

I pulled one of the MidSouth comps off a prize table. Cute little bugger. Works about as well as a Miculek (which is the cheapest decent comp on the market, after filling a cardboard box with available designs ;) ). Not the most effective, but better than most.

The best "other" comp on the market, judging from tests on my own battery of AR's (7.5", 14.5", 16", 18", 20") is the big JP Open comp. I think that is the best looking one, too, but that is just me :D However, the big JP is illegal for anything but Open :(

The F2, though...nothing else Limited/Tactical-legal has the same massive surface area and nothing else works as well. At least not in open and honest testing. Fred, the brains behind the F2, has GIVEN F2 to various top shooters, manufacturers, and gunsmiths. The ones honest enough to try them love 'em. Some top gunsmiths and shooters refuse to try one, even after being handed a free comp to evaluate at their own range on their own guns :P

Alex

rishii,

Only problem is the Recoil Eliminator isn't legal for Tactical Division.

Rich

not a problem, the tank brake is on my open rifle, my tac/work gun has a miculek comp. redimag and a surefire flashlight.

Free comps was the "hook" at SHOT and 3 Gun matches a few years ago, when he got the first run of CNC comps in hand after prototyping a bunch on the manual mill for local folks.

Fred has been telling people that if they don't like his F2, to send 'em back. One taker out of three hundred comps so far.

Alex

I went with Alex's advise and ordered an F2 for my rifle. I shot my first 3 gun match at the Texas state championship and had a blast. My rifle with the F2, along with the JP LMOS and trigger performed flawlessly and barely moved off of the target when shooting at distance. I also have to praise White Oak Armament for the accuracy and quality of their stainless fluted match barrel. Now I gotta buy some 3 gun accessories and toys that I learned about during this match. ;)

Dang, I'd be buying an F2 right now if I had the money... :( On a similar note, a local guy offered me a Clark Comp for $25. Has anyone heard of these or does someone have experience with them? I'm trying to decide whether I should just wait and buy an F2 or buy the Clark now and the F2 in the future.

Thanks,

Clint

Dang, I'd be buying an F2 right now if I had the money... :( On a similar note, a local guy offered me a Clark Comp for $25. Has anyone heard of these or does someone have experience with them? I'm trying to decide whether I should just wait and buy an F2 or buy the Clark now and the F2 in the future.

Thanks,

Clint

Clint, welcome to the forums. The two comps you asked about are one and the same. The Clark Gator AR comes with a Miculek comp. Jim Clark Jr. and Jerry Miculek are brothers in law. Clarks Custom Guns has a ad in the dealers section of this forum. Twenty five bucks is a pretty good deal.------Larry

Take a look at the "Jet Comp" by D.R. Middlebrooks, I have one on my AR and swear by it. shoots flat and no recoil. I will post some close up pics of it tomarrow.

S. Rodriguez

post-5388-1152078431.jpg

post-5388-1152078445.jpg

does he still make those

I had one years ago, it was different than yours, it had an expansion chamber with 2 venturi's

and 2 baffles. like you posted it was flat shooting and no recoil.