Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking To Jump Off The Cliff Into Open!

RobE1010

I am looking into joining the wide world of Open division but don't know which direction to go first. Some say I should start with a used Open rig and play awhile while others say I should have what I think I want built for me.

If it helps, I'm the type of person that buys something and thinks about what changes to make or what to add-on before I have left the store! As for now, I figure I won't sell whichever rig I decide on but rather buy another if my direction changes.

Based on suggestions and research I currently plan to use an STI 2011 frame/slide with either a C-More or OKO red dot in .38Super. I have always been an iron sights guy but I'm looking to get adventurous and have some seeing eye gun fun! Please provide any advice or suggestions for an Open noobie!

I did the same thing about 10 months ago and I went used. I had already done a "build from scratch" deal with my Limited gun and I love it, but I wasn't sure how I would like Open so I went used.

I am very glad I did. I found a great deal on a Para framed open gun on this forum and I am having lots of fun with it. It was a great decision and I feel like the gun can run with the big dollar ones just fine. There are lots of deals out there in the used open gun market, so why not start there? Especially if it comes with mags. Mags cost at least $50 each to buy or build and fancy basepads just add to the price. I got this Para with four 140mm mags and one 170mm big stick for $1100.

38supercomp2.jpg

Thanks Byron! I am seriously considering the used market but I'm afraid that I'll end up spending the same as a new rig with later add-ons. Also, I do see more used Para open setups than the STI/SV variety...I'm guessing a few others started out less costly with the Para and then traded up after awhile. What do you think?

On a side note, I saw your tag picture...are you a revo guy trying to shoot autos, too? :)

Rob,

Definitely give Chuck at Shooters Connection a call. I was an open newbie and he took plenty of time discussing options and getting me into a gun that work for me. Now I have a Bedell gun that I am absolutely in love with.

This is just one man's opinion but unless you are very comfortable with either the previous owner or the used gun you buy is from one of the big boy smiths and you can research it, you may just be buying someone elses headache. Looking at the guns that run and the ones that have trouble it seems to me the ones built by just a single smith as a system/package tend to be dead nuts reliable where as the ones that were built a little at a time or piecemilled by different smiths seem to be the ones that have difficulty.

Good Luck

How long can you tread water?

If you purchase a used gun you can have it in a few days. If you have Benny or Dan or Bob or Don or....(sorry if I left you out, but you get the idea)...build your gun you have several months to a year to wait for its arrival.

If you want to shoot open this season you may want to pick up a used gun from the classifieds here or at USPSA's web site, then, after deciding all the modifications you would like to make, contact one of the custom builders and order the perfect blaster.

There's a lot to be said for both paths... A new gun, you get it built the way you want it, it's got zero miles on it, etc. A used gun is generally a lot less money, usually comes with a few mags, etc.

At this point, have you shot many (any?) open class guns?? If you can find some folks near you who will let you shoot theirs, you might get some idea of which direction you think you'd like to go. Then, I'd suggest thinking about how much you really want to budget - remembering that you might need new leather/plastic to shoot it out of, new reloading stuff (dies, conversion, etc) and new components, etc. Then decide how soon you want to be shooting it ;)

Those choices will dicate where to go from there. My first Open gun was used, and it was a great way to get in. My 2nd Open gun was brand spankin' new, built for me. My 3rd (and current) was very lightly used. I haven't regretted any of the three, so...

Frankly... unless money is of no concern, I'd suggest considering the used route as a first gun, and spend the extra cash on ammo (as long as you can get some confidence that the gun will run...).

i picked up one of the best deals i had seen here for an open gun. it was used and was definitely old but it shoots fine. some minor repair and touch ups and im still way under what it would have cost me to buy new. if your really dead set on open you can go ahead and pony up the couple of thousand it will cost for mags and the gun + accessories to reload for it! the gun isnt the only thing, hell, by the time your all set, youll have paid a lot more than anticipated.

i wanted to get into open cheap and see how i liked it. i figured by buying used, i would loose no money if i turned around and sold the gun...which is true. so in the end, if i decide id rather not try campaigning in open, i really havent lost much. ---> buy a used gun, sell it, take a lil hit. buy a new gun, sell it, take a nice hit.

If you are going to Titusville Saturday look me up and you can play with my Bedell shorty, then track down Paul W and check out his full size Bedell. See my profile for a photo and ask for Matt

You have many choices, but try out several guns and talk to some open shooters and shoot several guns before making $$ choices.

if your going to jump ...jump ! :D used works out pretty well but shoot the gun before you buy. if your going to change things hard chrome might be something to avoid. try to get any accessories you can thrown in.

lots of good used guns on the market .

just me but I would try for STI or CASPIAN. Most PARA guys upgrade to something else don't know why just noticed they do.

you won't be sorry you jumped ! but your jumping UP not down :D

c38

If you are going to Titusville Saturday look me up and you can play with my Bedell shorty,

Matt,

glad to see you solved the problems you had at Frank's match. ;)

How's your thumb?

Rob,

the advantage of the new gun route is that you can have it built according to your exact specs, as others have already pointed out, but you might not be knowing which your specs are, since you're (like me) an open newbie.

I'd go with a used gun, until I'd figure out how I really would like my gun to be built.

Edited by Skywalker

Thanks for the advice folks! I am leaning toward the new route for obvious reasons but I will also consider used for the savings and cheaper experience. I will try to get out to Titusville on Saturday but I have to work that day too- hope to see you and Paul there, Matt.

Buy used and shoot it untill your new one is built.

I always choose the route that will put more guns in the safe. :D

+1 on this approach. I ordered a new Brazos Pro Sx and found a used one in the meantime to shoot. Not having shot open before, it was an eye opener to have something to tell me what I wanted versus what I didn't want. Plus Bob was extremely accomodating on making the bunch of changes I kept throwing his way.

Now, if I can just make my wife forget about the gun 'you said you would sell as soon as the new one showed up'!

Rob

If you can make it to Ruskin on Sunday we can show you some open guns. It's I-4 west to I-75 south to Sun City Center and then easy directions from there:

http://www.tbpc.org/matchinfo.html

http://www.tbpc.org/images/gcmap.gif

My most recent Open gun has everything I want and cost me $1250 postage paid plus about $450 for a new STI grip, an Ice magwell and more mags. I bought it based on trusting the gunsmith who made it [Dave at Springfield Custom] and the brand of barrel on it which I trust to go many years without trouble or loss of accuracy.

There have been some great deals on this site and uspsa.com classifieds - if you find something and want advice like pros & cons of the gunsmith, whether it's plated, it's caliber etc you can PM me any time.

You could literally take Todd Jarrett's winning gun from 1991 and shoot within single-digit percents of what you can shoot with any Open gun made since then. But new is nice!

If I had the green I would jump on Shaun's gun in a hearthbeat! Looks like a great deal for a 9mm open gun.

I paid just under that for my used 38 super open gun with 3 mags and a holster. A used gun is not a bad way to go. My gun is an older one originally built by Frank Glenn and it's previous owner took 5th in Nationals with it so that says something. It rested in a safe for close to 5 years before he put it up for sale but it runs perfect with super or super comp.

I see guys with newer and nicer looking guns having a glitch here and there and mine continues to run like a top so I am very happy.

I was given the gun to test out and another shooter gave me a hundred rounds of free ammo to try it out in a match and I was not giving the gun back after that.

I would buy a used gun a play a bit and down the road you can step into a new one if you get hooked hard on the dark side.

if you got the bug, and the green, get that caylor blaster

i know several ppl who use him and his work is 110 percent...

also 9mm major is THE hot ticket for cheap brass...especially with all the rumors about brass about to get silly expensive.

Also...just about any powder that would safely make the 175 power factor major in the super will work well in the lower powerfactor in a full sized 9mm.

Good powder choices are:

Power Pistol

Hs6

LONGSHOT

Ramshot silhouette

HS7

the True Blue

And the slower VV powders..like n350, 3n37, 3n38...even some folks report using n340.

Unless you get a stellar deal on a super, and/or sponsored by starline, i would look for a 9mm.

Harmon

Forum member Shaun Finney has a nice looking 9mm open gun for sale, that he just posted to the Classifieds forum. That might be a very good place to start ;)

I was just going to post the same thing. :)

Not only are they out to get you; They stay one step ahead of you by reading your mind. :lol:

Sorry for the drift. Now we return you to your regularly scheduled brain washi.........I mean programming.

Buy a used one and shoot it noting what you like and don't like. Shoot it long enough to get rolling and then order a custom gun, that way you know what you want when you order.

Edited by Dream

Erik Lund may still be selling his: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...topic=31515&hl= Erik's guns are immaculate and you couldn't deal with a nicer guy.

If you prefer a new one, show up at the FL State match, in Frostproof, this month and I'll let you shoot mine... then I'll introduce you to my gunsmith, Derek Janowicz ( Millennium Custom ). He will most likely have other guns there for you to test fire too. He's based out of Lake Worth, Florida. :D

If I was living in the State I would have bought an almost new gun while I was waiting for my baby's.....a bit harder in the smaller market were I live....to get a used custom Gun with low milage

Edited by dansy