Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What 9.4 Grains Of Titegroup Under A 180 Jhp

chp5

Glockkaboom.JPG

Well this was likely a double charge by me. This happened about six months ago. I was loading 9mm on my 650 for a long time and then started loading some 40 on my 550. I guess I didn’t manually index on a round.

I was not hurt, although it felt like someone hit my hand with a crowbar. I had some fine shrapnel in my right hand, but it was small and not deep. My Spyderco got it all out in 5 minutes.

The barrel is now stuck in the slide and won’t come out. The slide is slightly bulged at the ejection port. The frame is fine and in use with another upper. The mag was completely blown out of the gun and all parts were disassembled – but I put it back together with a new follower and spring and it runs fine.

One note: ALWAYS WERE EYE PROTECTION WHEN SHOOTING. I felt shrapnel hit my glasses. If I didn’t have glasses, I’m sure I would not have a functional right eye.

A buddy of mine had this happen to him and the ejection port was bent a little bit and he put in a vice and ever so slightly bent it back, and started shooting it again. where you using a factory barrel when this happend or an aftermarket barrel?

Edited by PAPER KILLER

Glad you were seriously hurt, Cy.

*This is the prime reason why whenever someone asks me if I will sell them some reloads I say, "Hell No".

***Edited to add: I meant to say I am glad you were NOT seriously hurt, Cy.

Yes, gotta love those typos.

Edited by ima45dv8

I'm sure a aftermarket barrel would have met the same fate.

No doubt about that... Amazing what those Glocks will take and not hurt you, though. They might actually replace those parts for you - or get them to you cheap. Glock is amazingly forgiving about this kind of stuff - or, at least, used to be. Specially for folks in Atlanta, it seemed like....

I'm sure a aftermarket barrel would have met the same fate.

No doubt about that... Amazing what those Glocks will take and not hurt you, though. They might actually replace those parts for you - or get them to you cheap. Glock is amazingly forgiving about this kind of stuff - or, at least, used to be. Specially for folks in Atlanta, it seemed like....

Dave - I don't think I'll make a warranty claim on this one :o

Edited by chp5

I've got about 4K rounds of .40's made up with titegroup. I'm gonna start weighing each one before I shoot 'em now. Shooting mostly open now so I figure weighing 50-100 rounds everytime I go to reload will get me there eventually.

Saw that happen to a Bul M5 45acp a few years ago - in a match, fairly new shooter. Double-charge with a Lee turret press. Wasn't auto-indexing, I remember that part.

His barrel held into one [split] piece and the slide bulged a lot. But the [bul] grip was split into several pieces, magazine parts and ammo all over the grass, we eventually found his mainspring housing several feet away. Guy wasn't hurt too bad, had some huge cheap unfashionable shooting wrap-arounds on at the time, that saved his eyes I bet.

What I remember most was the SOUND of that happening. My buddy was the RO and his heart-rate didn't come back to normal for quite a while.

Eric,

Do you remember the guy shooting the BUL 38 Super in Ruskin? He had a case head failure (not even sure it was a double charge) that delaminated the lower. That particular gun does not tolerate this type of abuse.

Leo

Hi everyone,

I had a somewhat similar (Although far less serious) thing happebn to em today. I was shooting my almost new (About 4 months old current generation Glock 17) today. I do reload and my stanard load is 3.9 Grains of Tightgroup under a 125g Zero JHP always in Winchester cases with Winchester Small pistol primers. It was the second round out of a magazine of 5 rounds and when It went off it felt as though someone hit the side of my right hand with a 2X4 and I either dropped the gun or I threw it to the floor because of the sudden jab of pain in my right hand. We made the range safe and called a cease fire. The RO went forward and grabbed the gun from just in front of the firing line. The plastic butt plug and the magazine were both blown out of the gun (The magazine was intact and still had the remaining 3 rounds in the magazine) The slide and frame were pretty well sealed into one unit, but were were able to get it out of battery using a rubber mallet. The amazing thing was I completely took the gun apart and upon visual inspection, the only thing wrong was a cracked trigger (The trigger itself, the plastic part) The case has a seperation the the 6'oclock postion about 1/3" long and pretty deep and the entire case head was lenthened long ways. I had a bunch of people look at it and the general concensous was that it appeared to fire out of battery (The bottom part of the case, just in front of the extractor groover was bulged about 1 -16" forward of he groove) Now it could also have been a double charge on my part as well, but one guy who has had 3 case seperations and one total KB in a Glock 22 said if it was a double charge it would probably have been much worse.

I have nevere had a case head speration or a squib or any type of ammuinition or gun probalem before today, but it does make you appreciate the safety built into guns a little bit more now :-)

I am scared to use a 550. I've "borrowed" one a few times at a buddy's house...and caught myself making mistakes. I am sure the tried-and-true 550 users, that have been at it for years, aren't as likely to have mistakes.

I've seen enough of these double charge stories...the majority of them seem to have been done of the 550. :(

I'm sticking with a progressive press that auto indexes.

I recently started using a 550 exclusively for my 45's and am really paranoid about a double charge. That's why my loading rate on that machine is less than 500 rounds/hour.

Cy, I'm glad you kept all your fingers and facial features.

Cy,

Glad you weren't hurt.

Next time you load over 9 grains of Titegroup, please chrono the load.

I'd like to see if it makes major. :D

Come to think of it I wonder if this has ever happened at the chrono stage at a match.

I don't think I would want that job.

Tls