Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Division 9mm Factory Ammo

markm

If you got to a match without your ammo, (been there, done that) what would you use off the shelf from the nearest Super store? Why?

I use CCI 9mm 115gr Blazer. It's cheap, it's accurate, it makes a 133PF in my G34. I was using American Eagle 115gr 9mm, but it makes a 147PF in my gun and I can feel the difference.

Most folks around here use Winchester "white box" 115gr FMJ 9mm. Why? Because it is about $5 per box of 50 at Academy. The medium hardness Winchester primers work with most guns.

No matter what you choose I would inspect and case gauge every round if it was for a major match. When I was shooting factory I would get about 4 rounds per 1000 that wouldn't pass my match ammo inspection. Better safe than sorry.

Edited by vincent

I've been using Blazer 115 grain FMJs because I could get it for $3.86/box from Academy. (I've heard they're raised their price, but haven't checked.) It runs 100% in my mostly stock Beretta 92 Brigadier and CZ-75B.

When WWB first came out I tried it and it occasionally wouldn't make the PF. Current stuff is fine.

wwb makes 140+ pf in my glock 34 too.

but betweent that, wolf, and blazer, ill take the winchesters.

second place would be the brass blazer,third the wolf and fourth the aluminum cased blazer.

i was getting funny stovepipes in a stock glock 34 with aluminum blazer...the only thing i can attribute it to is the lighter case not ejecting properly in my pistol.

i choose to handload because i like a bullet heavier than 115 grains and a price under 5 bucks for 50. when i shot production hard and heavy, ammo was mixed brass, federal primers, win 231 powder and berrys or rainier plated 147 grian bullets.. now that ive shot up 10 pounds of free 231, i would probably switch to titegroup as its cheaper and less temperature sensitive

American Egale 115, UMC 115, CCI blazer 115, Win USA 115, and M882 all have worked quite well in my HK. The M882 PF of 157

I would have no problems using any off the shelf major production ammo. If Wolf was all that was there I'd forfit the match.

I am pretty comfortable shooting WWB, Remington, Blazer brass or PMC through my CZs..

all of them group decently and make powerfactor..about 131-132.

I tend to mix up reloading my ammo or doing store bought..depending on time vs money..

I have very good luck with Wolf ammo out of my CZ SP01. I have put a thousand rounds downrange with no problems. Here are a few targets shooting controlled pairs at 50 feet and one taking a littl more time at 25 feet. Yes it is a little dirty, but that is what they make Break Free Powder Blast for

post-2563-1140099593_thumb.jpgpost-2563-1140099575_thumb.jpgpost-2563-1140099618_thumb.jpg

Edited by fortyfiveshooter

When I first started out in GSSF/Team shooting, I was part of "Team Blazer". As long as the hard CCI primers go off in your Production Race gun, then its accurate, clean, available ammo. The CCI Electroplated bullets in Blazer are the same as they use in CCI/Speer Lawman practice ammo & are the same Electroplating technology as Speer Gold Dot (an electroplated bullet).

As far as Wolf goes, I don't use it in competition or even practice much, but I have found the primers to be very sensitive - about like Federal.

I use either WWB or CCI Blazer, and just today noticed that Nachez has the brass CCI's for a good price. I recently bought 250 rounds of Wolf 9MM, 40S&W, and 45ACP to test in my Glock, CZ40B, and Springer 1911. Well the test failed for the 9 and 40, the jury is still out on the 45. Super hard primers in the 9MM, and the 40's have FTF at least once in every other magazine. I've cleaned the mags, and only load 10 rounds in the 12 rounders and still problems. The 45 seems to be OK so far, but I've only fired 75 rounds of Wolf so far.

Wold is all I use in my AK-47, and my Remington 870 loves their sport shells for skeet and wobble trap. I've just given up on their pistol ammo.

Bruce

Ive been shooting Atlanta Arms 147gr. Its really light and is very dependable so far. Ive burned up about 1000rnd of 147 and 115--no duds at all. Its remanufactured but it works and its cheap---$110 + 15shipping per 1000rnds for the 115gr and $135 +15shipping for the 147grn. If you buy over $500 shipping is free too. For production class its a good deal in my opinion. B)

Over 10,000 rounds of aluminum Blazers last year with absolutely zero problems out of my G34. Extremely clean, cleaner than V V, N320 that I now shoot. Shot more accurately than my best Zero 147 gr, JHP load over N320. Tell me again why I am reloading this year?

Rick

Lawman,

Have you tried reloading any of your own ammo or tried 147's? IF so, how do they compare with the recoil of the 115's. I currently load 147's w/ Titegroup, but interesting have thought about trying the Remington UMC's 115. Just wondering how the recoil is compared to the 147's.

Thanks,

I haven't been loading my own in production. It's part of the reason I switched. I hate reloading. I know that the 147's from Atlanta Arms are supposed to be very soft and shootable. I just haven't got around to trying them. I like the ease of being able to go to the Bi-Mart 5 blocks from my house and buy all the match/practice ammo I need. Of the loads I've tried I really don't notice a difference. I'm sure some folks do. For me the 17 combined with the Rem 115's is just about a perfect combo. Shoots great and returns exactly where I want it to on the target.

i started off with blazer 115s, but found that federal american eagle 147 grain flat tips shot much softer. i used them for awhile (a little pricey @ $7.75/50)...until carlos turned me on to the N310/147 home brew...softer and cheaper! that's when i bought a dillon.

I haven't been loading my own in production. It's part of the reason I switched. I hate reloading.

i hate reloading too. some people seem to enjoy it, & get some sort of zen thing going. it just feels like a chore, or work, to me. but the N310 load just feels so much better than any factory ammo i've tried. so during the winter months, when there are very few matches, i load enough for the entire year. i just finished loading up 15k rounds...i'm glad that's done (and i'm hoping it will get me through the year).

Another vote for the 147gr. Atlanta Arms Ammo. Very nice stuff. Before that I was running the 115gr. MagTech. Also pretty soft, but I like the feel and accuracy of the Atlanta Arms Ammo. Guns I've shot with this load are aGlock 17 with a Barsto and a SV 9mm.

Nick-

We chrono'd four store bought 115gr FMJ brands last summer and found that Blazer and Winchester White Box were approx 75+ fps faster than PMC and Remington MC through the same 5" gun.

The Rem and PMC also had less muzzle rise than the first two. A caution, however. The Rem 115gr MC (metal case) is shorter than the normal oal of any other store bought brand and may cause feeding problems in some guns.

Edited by Tony S45