Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How heavy is too heavy?

Porsche320

1 hour ago, jim vaughan said:

I have found that 1.3 Kg /46 oz is the ideal weight for me.

Remember that 29 rounds also adds a heap of weight.

Yip, about 13 more oz. Over 5lbs on the draw. 

My 9major open is 57, and I thought a little more would be welcome. IDPA gun feels like at toy at 44 by comparison. 

I have built open guns anywhere from 38 OZs Empty to 60.25 OZs empty. I prefer a heavy gun in the 56-61 range myself. I'm also a larger guy compared to most. Each will have its own balance and feel. None of them cycle any faster than the others. Feel is different for sure, but that's about it. They function the same with the same ammo. 

7 minutes ago, turbocomp38s said:

if it is balanced, I would not worry about it. I like some weight -I prefer that. Is this 9 major or 38sc? TY!

38s

I have a 9 major and wanted to try super.

19 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

I have built open guns anywhere from 38 OZs Empty to 60.25 OZs empty. I prefer a heavy gun in the 56-61 range myself. I'm also a larger guy compared to most. Each will have its own balance and feel. None of them cycle any faster than the others. Feel is different for sure, but that's about it. They function the same with the same ammo. 

61 empty is pretty close to this.  Good to have that data point. Thank you. 

I included the mag because of the ridiculous 3.5oz base plate. 

12 hours ago, Runswithwood1 said:

Hopefully you have a good sturdy belt! My open 2011 weighs in at 57oz unloaded and that's more than enough for me

As soon as you run and the pants with all the equipment fall off, then you'll know it's too heavy😉

39 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

I wouldnt like it,, IMO thats too dang heavy 

I might not like it either, but I’m going to find out. 

Have you competed with a gun you found too heavy?  And what weight did you find to be too much?

Your perception is your reality. I think proper balance is a much better indicator of "Feel". My MPA DS9 LOC is heavier than my shadow 2 but the shadow 2 feels heavier to me because it's so nose heavy. 

1 hour ago, Porsche320 said:

I might not like it either, but I’m going to find out. 

Have you competed with a gun you found too heavy?  And what weight did you find to be too much?

nope, because if it was too heavy I wouldnt have competed with it. 

17 hours ago, Porsche320 said:

Just finished an ultra heavy build, and I wonder if I went too far. 

The balance feels good. CG seems to be behind the trigger, but…. 69 oz. 

Anyone try anything near this heavy?

Yes, I went through a phase where I played with heavier and heavier guns. At one point testing up to 59 oz. Now one of my guns is 42 the other just under 40 with out mags. Much happier in this weight range. 

8 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Yes, I went through a phase where I played with heavier and heavier guns. At one point testing up to 59 oz. Now one of my guns is 42 the other just under 40 with out mags. Much happier in this weight range. 

Thank you for the data point. 

More weight isn't always "More Better". You need to test it out in live fire by running Doubles Drills to see what the on target hits look like at varied paces of shooting and distance of target. You also need to perform narrow and wide transition drills to determine if the extra weight is negatively impacting your ability to stop the gun precisely on the next target.

Super heavy guns "Feel" very soft shooting and stable when shooting at a single target in a normal grip/stance scenario. But more often than not, the extra weight becomes a net detractor because the gun ends up being muzzle bouncy after the slide snaps forward or you can't stop the gun precisely on the next target because its too heavy.

Performance on the range is always the ultimate validation of a guns setup. Get out on the range and see how it performs then go from there.

Nice blaster! I've never shot competition gun so heavy, I'd be very curious to try it. I would have to hit the gym first.

I thought my open gun at 50 oz without a mag I was pushing it. After shooting the open gun for a season, I found my CZs felt too light, so I ended up adding brass grips to get their weight within an ounce of the open gun.

7 hours ago, yigal said:

As soon as you run and the pants with all the equipment fall off, then you'll know it's too heavy😉

Blue alpha loop back inner belt and ratchet attachment for my outer solved that problem

Edited by Runswithwood1

31 minutes ago, Runswithwood1 said:

Blue alpha loop back inner belt and ratchet attachment for my outer solved that problem

nope not for me,, I suffer from noassital... waste bigger than my ass,, can torque a belt till I cant breath,, pants would still fall down.. Went to Perry suspenders long ago

14 hours ago, Joe4d said:

nope not for me,, I suffer from noassital... waste bigger than my ass,, can torque a belt till I cant breath,, pants would still fall down.. Went to Perry suspenders long ago

@Joe4d.........    me too brother! That's why I mentioned suspenders too! :)