Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended mid tier competition pistols

As I’m getting more involved in uspsa and other competition shooting, I’m wanting to get a dedicated competition pistol. I’m not terribly concerned with the division it puts me in, I currently shoot a p320 xcarry in limited (because it has a magwell) some options I’m considering are

CZ shadow 2

Springfield DS Prodigy

Sig p320 DH3

S&W m&p Competitor

I would like to stay in the 1000-1500 range, preferably more toward the low side of that. Thanks for any suggestions!

Are you shooting with iron sights, or with Optics?  I’d skip the DH3 and go with the X5 Legion if you need sights, consider a 320Max if all you want are optics. They seem to be a very good value. 

5 hours ago, Cuz said:

Are you shooting with iron sights, or with Optics?  I’d skip the DH3 and go with the X5 Legion if you need sights, consider a 320Max if all you want are optics. They seem to be a very good value. 

I haven’t made up my mind on optics yet, but it will likely be an addition down the road, which is kinda why I’m leaning dh3 over legion. I’ll be able to retain the read irons with the dh3. 

@Benk907

Shadow 2 all day long. Lots of gaming aftermarket and OEM support. 

Published and vetted spring setups and ammo information. 

Available 24 round magazines that work. 

Can upgrade internals as you get further along your journey with the help of YouTube videos if you’re the least bit handy. 

It’ll never hold you back as a platform. 

If optics might become an option, a CZ Shadow 2 OR looks pretty good.

... as far as I can tell, KMR pistols are not imported to USA. They are a lot like CZ but built better without the cost of CZ "Orange" models.

Shadow 2 is a good gun, I sold mine because a shadow 1 fits me better and points more naturally for me. I'd recommend handling every gun on your list before deciding. 

The new Glocks aren't on your list, but I'd recommend you give one of those a going over as well. With the choice of backstraps they just work for me, particularly in getting a straight back trigger pull that doesn't disturb the aim much. 

On 7/14/2024 at 6:32 PM, Benk907 said:

As I’m getting more involved in uspsa and other competition shooting, I’m wanting to get a dedicated competition pistol. I’m not terribly concerned with the division it puts me in, I currently shoot a p320 xcarry in limited (because it has a magwell) some options I’m considering are

CZ shadow 2

Springfield DS Prodigy

Sig p320 DH3

S&W m&p Competitor

I would like to stay in the 1000-1500 range, preferably more toward the low side of that. Thanks for any suggestions!

Some other options I’ve found since posting are

Canik Rival-S

CZ p-10 F competition

S&W m&p competitor

5 hours ago, perttime said:

If optics might become an option, a CZ Shadow 2 OR looks pretty good.

... as far as I can tell, KMR pistols are not imported to USA. They are a lot like CZ but built better without the cost of CZ "Orange" models.

What exactly is the difference between black and blue and orange? I’ll look at those guys, thank you!

4 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Shadow 2 is a good gun, I sold mine because a shadow 1 fits me better and points more naturally for me. I'd recommend handling every gun on your list before deciding. 

The new Glocks aren't on your list, but I'd recommend you give one of those a going over as well. With the choice of backstraps they just work for me, particularly in getting a straight back trigger pull that doesn't disturb the aim much. 

New glocks as in the gen 5? I’ve never been a huge fan, but I will give them their due diligence, I go to the gun store reasonably often for primers and so forth and try to put hands on a few new things. Some of these are a bit tough to find in person though.

7 hours ago, zzt said:

I'm a single action snob.  I'd buy the Prodigy, put a dot on it and shoot in LO.

I really like the look of the prodigy, I’ve got a Springfield ronin in 10mm I’m really happy with. I guess what holds me back is it’s a “cheap” 2011, vs most of the other pistols on this list are “top of the line” for their respective categories. Which makes me a bit wary of what I’m sacrificing to get that price 

2 hours ago, Benk907 said:

I guess what holds me back is it’s a “cheap” 2011, vs most of the other pistols on this list are “top of the line” for their respective categories. Which makes me a bit wary of what I’m sacrificing to get that price 

You get a first rate barrel, slide and frame that is well fit.  What you sacrifice is MIM internals.  They are good but will wear sooner than first rate parts.  So, after 20k rounds, replace all the internals with EGW or EE parts.  Or, do it upfront for a couple hundred.  

9 hours ago, Benk907 said:

What exactly is the difference between black and blue and orange? I’ll look at those guys, thank you!

I haven't looked into black and blue CZ pistols. I thought it is just cosmetics. I could be wrong. CZ "Orange" pistols are their premium range: built more precisely and perhaps with some extra features. Pricing gets steep with those, unless you can find a good used one.

If you like a larger grip, CZ TS (Tactical Sport) models might work for you.

Go to a match and ask some people... people love to show off their gats and most of them will be happy to tell you what's good and bad about their choice and if the match allows it, many will let you shoot theirs too after the match.

On 7/16/2024 at 4:19 PM, Benk907 said:

I've heard very experienced GMs say a shadow orange isn't needed unless you are shooting bullseye matches.  Black and blue is way to go. 

With the CZs if you're going to a do action work, replacing hammers, triggers, spring, polishing, you're usually better off getting a stock model and doing the upgrades. 

1 hour ago, CZsandSigs said:

I've heard very experienced GMs say a shadow orange isn't needed unless you are shooting bullseye matches.  Black and blue is way to go. 

I've got a shadow 1 orange and a regular shadow 1. I would agree with not needed but being a gun whore I still like having it. 

Okay... You'll have to pick a division to really refine the choices. 

If you want the most people to shoot with /against, you're going to be shooting CO. 

Skip the Canik S - Love the feel, good trigger, reliability issues.  I spent two months trying to sort mine out.  Never 100% reliable.

Shadow is a safe bet but not the "latest".  My EX shot one so I don't even like to touch them now....😅

Sig X5 Legion - has great stock sights, soft shooting, lots of support. Mine has run like a top since I got it.  Shot it Tuesday Night at an indoor match after two months on the Canik S.  It's shoots soft and runs 100%. 😉 Not sure why I ever got the Canik...🙄. The Legion frame is has tungsten in it.  It's a hybrid,  flex of polymer, weight of metal frame.  For competition, it's the P320 you want - > P320 Max is a variation of the X5 with the optic already on it.  If you want to shoot CO that's the one to get in the P320 line.

Many of the Shadow guys have moved on to the new hotness... Walther PDP Steel Frame Match.  Might be at the top of the price range you gave but it's ready to go out of the box.  Comes with the factory Trigger upgrade.  I'm likely going to try one.... I should just keep shooting the X5 but I'm a hopeless gear Ho. 😁 If you don't like the weight, there is a cheaper lighter PDP Match polymer 

On the low end - Glock 47 or 34, snappy but it shoots well. Apex trigger and a Holosun 507 comp will get you a long way in CO.🙂. I'm favoring the 47 over my 34 at the moment.  The shorter gun feels faster handling.  Shooting a dot, the 34's longer slide isn't an advantage.....

I've shot all of these and have the X5, Canik, G34 and G45 in the safe.  I took the X5 to the last match but I could have taken a Glock.  Results would have been the same. 😉  

For the Dot, you can't go wrong with the Holosun 507 Comp. I have Canik ME03, Sig Max, and FOUR of the Holosun's on different guns.  Start there.... 😉

Edited by Chutist

I'll add a vote for Sig platform.  I've a X5 for CO and LO, and another for limited.   I could use one, for all 3, but I'm not taking 507 Comp off optics gun ever!  There is a lot you can do with Sig.  Swap slides with lower/grip, different trigger combos, and X5 will take 1911 springs, so it's easy and cheap to get a set of springs to match with ammo.  For SC I'll use 100 gr Blazzer, and heavy springs. For USPSA, 147 or 150 and lighter springs. In short, there is so much you can do with 320 platform that it makes a great system to grow with.  That said, next purchase will be a higher end 2011 like MPA or Vudoo.

I would purchase a CZ Shadow 2 OR and then replace the mainspring with a 13# spring ( CZ Spring Main / Hammer Spring Calibration (czcustom.com) ), replace the firing pin spring with a RAMI firing pin spring ( Reduced Power Firing Pin Spring CZ 2075 RAMI FACTORY SPRING (czcustom.com) ), and replace the recoil spring with an 11# recoil spring ( CZ Recoil Spring 11Lb (czcustom.com) ).  You do not need an extended firing pin.  I have this setup with a stock firing pin and have never had a failure to fire.

This will get you a very competitive pistol that you can use in Production, Carry Optics, and Limited Optics.  You would probably need to install the larger safety for Limited Optics (to start cocked and locked), but my Shadow 2 included the larger safety when I purchased it as an extra part.  The total cost would be much less than $1500.

On 7/16/2024 at 3:18 PM, Benk907 said:

S&W m&p competitor

Competitor is good out of the box if you like M&Ps. If you want more weight, get a brass magwell or cheap WML. It is quite accurate. Their mags are not expensive. 

Had an X5 Legion. Its good but the accuracy can decrease substantially over time. 

Edited by Zincwarrior

• 3 weeks later...

Those are all fine pistols. The main question you have to ask yourself is whether you want to go SA/DA or DAO if you're looking at your first pistol dedicated to competition. There will be a lot of time later to switch platforms, guns, divisions, sights, and anything else you desire.

But to start, stick to one platform and one gun, then get good with it.