Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Jerry Miculek Model 327 WR

I for one am quite happy to have tens or thousands of single headstamp 9mm brass cleaned and processed (during the winter) all for free.  I have enough issues with running a few thousand pcs of supercomp in a season.

I am reloading for 2.

magnaporting and coated bullets = forever cleaning the ports

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway... what exactly is the problem with scandium-aluminum frames?

I looked at a few threads where they are mentioned, and found people saying that they get beat up, unless you use very light Steel Challenge loads. "Beat up" in what way?

6 hours ago, perttime said:

Anyway... what exactly is the problem with scandium-aluminum frames?

I looked at a few threads where they are mentioned, and found people saying that they get beat up, unless you use very light Steel Challenge loads. "Beat up" in what way?

PT:

The frame is very light so the recoil is a lot more evident.  Anything that can loosen under recoil will do so faster with the 327 TRR-8 which I own and have experienced.  The barrel shroud coming loose was a battle with me too until I cleaned up the threads, put some Blue Lock Tite on them and tightened it firmly with a spanner wrench.  Bullets will pull completely out of the case unless you use a very firm crimp.

All that said, I got mine magnaported with a single port and that ended loosening problems.  In retrospect I should have gotten it double ported like J.M.

To me, the revolver is too light and having a solid steel barrel would be a good thing.

GG

Same problems here as GG. I went so far as to try to talk S&W into a different (steel) barrel. but the threads were a no-go. They finally said there was no way to go heavier.

Sold it to a happy owner and bought the 929.

Posted (edited)

Does Jerry even shoot revolver anymore?

If I remember right, he was one of the ones lobbying for eight shot minor, then once it was adopted never shot revolver again. But maybe I miss remembering

Edited by RJH

5 hours ago, perttime said:

Thank you for the details!

I don't mind a little recoil - but I do like a gun that doesn't give me much mechanical trouble....

PT:

The recoil was a sharp hit instead of a push.  Really couldn't dampen it with loads, either.  As I said, the magna porting reduced a lot of this so now it is closer to a steel frame with recoil.  If a shooter likes a light revolver and wants a TRR-8, my advise is to send it off to Magna Port and get it double ported.  

GG

I didn't mind the recoil of my TRR8 because I used 96 PF loads for steel challenge.

My issue was the light weight of the gun caused a lot of shots to slide past the targets. Every other gun I shot was stopping on the target but the TRR8 would slide just past. I shot it enough to know that I was having to change my shooting style for that gun and back for the others so I sold it to a guy who wanted it for USPSA. Perfect gun for that.

I always prior ran steel S&W revolvers, 29, 586Plus, 686Plus, etc so the weight was a familiar thing with a 929.

16 hours ago, RJH said:

Does Jerry even shoot revolver anymore?

If I remember right, he was one of the ones lobbying for eight shot minor, then once it was adopted never shot revolver again. But maybe I miss remembering

He won his last uspsa rev nationals with a 625 in 2013.  He won the irc for the last time that same year. The end of 2013 is when the 8 shot rule passed, everyone was shooting 8m in 2014 and Jerry wasnt there.   

2013 3 gun nation was a thing.   Jm was winning or in running at every match he entered and there was surely more money to be had.  He has also complained alot that his hand was basically dead from so many draws with revolver and he had to stop...

Posted (edited)

When he was talking about the lightness, ease of draw and ease of the rotation of the titanium cylinder I was wondering if he was having arthritis or nerve issues. You can’t shoot millions/billions of rounds over that amount of time and not have some issues. 
Even so, he still kicks butt!

Edited by Farmer
Sp

1 hour ago, testosterone said:

He won his last uspsa rev nationals with a 625 in 2013.  He won the irc for the last time that same year. The end of 2013 is when the 8 shot rule passed, everyone was shooting 8m in 2014 and Jerry wasnt there.   

2013 3 gun nation was a thing.   Jm was winning or in running at every match he entered and there was surely more money to be had.  He has also complained alot that his hand was basically dead from so many draws with revolver and he had to stop...

I remember about the hand stuff know, and I think that's why he was a big proponent of 8 minor. That is why it is odd to me that quit shooting revo in USPSA and such. 

1 hour ago, RJH said:

I remember about the hand stuff know, and I think that's why he was a big proponent of 8 minor. That is why it is odd to me that quit shooting revo in USPSA and such. 

He won all but 1 nationals he entered. And from what I understand there are unanswered questions around that one. Just another reason I don’t think a person should be eligible to win uspsa nationals from outside the super squad. 

The numbers say continued winning wasn’t favorable after the 8 minor rule change for him, even if that was a change he wanted. 

9 minutes ago, MWP said:

He won all but 1 nationals he entered. And from what I understand there are unanswered questions around that one. Just another reason I don’t think a person should be eligible to win uspsa nationals from outside the super squad. 

That's an interesting take

9 minutes ago, MWP said:

The numbers say continued winning wasn’t favorable after the 8 minor rule change for him, even if that was a change he wanted. 

Idk quite what you mean here

1 hour ago, RJH said:

Idk quite what you mean here

I mean Jerry was going to lose to Rob at PASA on those stages when the 8 minor passed. 

On 5/16/2024 at 6:24 PM, Mcfoto said:

I’d buy one if I had the money, but I don’t. So I won’t. Will be curious in a couple years when they start coming up used.

they will be bought up, and stuck in a safe somewhere, with all the other guns that seem to have just disappeared off the earth, I mean try to find a basic 30/30 , I mean a few here and there, but used shops are pretty empty and I know marlin and winchester made millions of them

56 minutes ago, MWP said:

I mean Jerry was going to lose to Rob at PASA on those stages when the 8 minor passed. 

Why do you think so? You figure Jerry had lost a step, or was Rob just looking that good?  

And, if they were both shooting six round guns what do you think Jerry would have had the advantage there? 

I know you are a revolver guy so I am interested in your input

4 minutes ago, RJH said:

Why do you think so? You figure Jerry had lost a step, or was Rob just looking that good?  

And, if they were both shooting six round guns what do you think Jerry would have had the advantage there? 

When I was a kid living in Arizona, maybe 40 years ago, Rob showed up to one of our local matches at the National Guard Armory, with a S&W 66.

We were all shooting autos. He still kicked most of our butts.

1 minute ago, ysrracer said:

When I was a kid living in Arizona, maybe 40 years ago, Rob showed up to one of our local matches at the National Guard Armory, with a S&W 66.

We were all shooting autos. He still kicked most of our butts.

Yeah but, y'all weren't Jerry either 🤣🤣

16 minutes ago, RJH said:

I think we talked about it years ago on this forum. Very long story short, it was a very Rob style match, an anti Jerry style match, and was all 8 friendly since it was SS nationals. Jerry did almost every shooting skill better than Rob with a revolver, but matches at PASA were more bullseye matches than anything else, and Rob greatly excels at that style of shooting. Mathematically the standing reload was the only thing that kept Jerry alive in 2013 since his was so much faster than Rob’s. 

9 minutes ago, MWP said:

I think we talked about it years ago on this forum. Very long story short, it was a very Rob style match, an anti Jerry style match, and was all 8 friendly since it was SS nationals. Jerry did almost every shooting skill better than Rob with a revolver, but matches at PASA were more bullseye matches than anything else, and Rob greatly excels at that style of shooting. Mathematically the standing reload was the only thing that kept Jerry alive in 2013 since his was so much faster than Rob’s. 

That makes sense. Would have been pretty interesting to see how everything shook out though if Jerry would have shot that match. Or any match since then. 

Do you know if he quit shooting USPSA pistol all together or if he just hasn't shot any majors? I do know like you were saying he was, and is, still heavily involved in three gun 

On a slight tangent, I can't believe it was 2013 when they went to eight round revolvers. Doesn't seem that long ago. Time flies when you're getting old LOL

On 5/18/2024 at 8:01 AM, Dr. Phil said:

Or you can have TK bore the 38 to 9mm, like many have, and shoot all of the 38s plus 0mm. 

929 owners who reload figured out that "walking" problem several years ago. Many (most?) do not have problems now. Shoot the right brass in the right moons and you are good to go.

I had a 327-scandium gun. Too light for me.

I wouldn't spend the money for a safe queen / investment gun but more power to them that do.

Not sure what you mean about the TK work since 38 is typically 0.358 and 9mm is typically .355-6. My 929 barrel leads up with 9mm sized coated bullets, so I'm shooting .358, have wondered if boring the cylinder would be a good idea (still get occasional leading, I wonder if I'm scraping off coating before the bullet gets to the barrel assuming the cylinder unlike the barrel was sized for 9mm). 

Besides the right brass and the right moons I have had to be selective about bullets. 135 grain bayou coated worked well for me, the 160's I wanted to run I have never found a way to keep from walking. 

11 hours ago, MWP said:

He was 58 in 2013 which is crazy, and yeah, he smashed rob on time but rob shot considerably better points.

The math wasn't in his favor going forward with minor scoring.

Not saying it was a sure thing he would start loosing, thats stupid, but given the lifetime performance he had, going out on a win made sense.