Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 Competition Holsters?

ENDlllESS

Now that I have decided to take the next step and buy a dedicated competition rig, I have been looking around for a holster for my Glock 45. I have my eye on a Long Shadow Huron holster, has anyone bought from them and are they GTG? GX Products is out of the equation because of their 16 week lead time.

Never heard of them, but I can recommend Blade-Tech and Red Hill Tactical as being great competition holsters. 

if you are getting a closed end holster, I’d recommend ordering it for a Glock 34. That way it will accommodate the different slide lengths you may want to use. 

The Huron is a fantastic holster and their customer service is top notch. They may even have what you’re looking for in stock just give them a call. But rest assured they’ll deliver early and their quality is better than most and understand competition holsters. Best holsters I have from them and I own several from most of the big names. 

Don't overthink it. A $35 Blade Tech or $40 Uncle Mike's is fine. Anything open top without extra retention doodads, cut below the ejection port with tension screws. CompTac, Red Hill, Ghost.

There's no need to get an open race rig for a G17, especially for a noob.

Ymhay is ultimately correct. Its a gun bucket and before my Huron I had an old Blade Tech I purchased from Blade Tech’s blem box when they were local. Worked great for years until it broke. Eventually everything will break. Don’t overthink it and get after your training. 

I always started with looking at the Safariland stuff but that option is gone and doesn't look like it's coming back.

I'd probably look at the RHT or Comp-Tac for a non-race holster

I went with Red Hill Tactical for my 17.5 MOS. Very happy two years on. I ordered it custom and it took a month. They have some in stock right now. Be sure and let them know if you are using a light or red dot.

Edited by Mcfoto

I started with a blade tech holster and now use red hill tactical. They both work very well. Both companies have supported shooting sports for years with sponsorships of matches and shooters. My GF has a GX, it's nice but a 16 week lead time is tough.

If you want to buy once, cry once, I would say GX products is worth the wait.  Red Hill is a pretty close second IMO but I like the GX vice function.  Comptac international is a heck of a holster and I still use mine for IDPA.   Blade tech is fine too if you want to spend a little less.   I shot their old black ice holster for about 3 years before I got a GX.  

agree with the suggestions above about optics cut and  34/35 length.  Mine were all 17 length for years and of course I bought a 34 to build a carry optics gun so I had to buy a new holster.   

On 2/18/2024 at 3:37 PM, ENDlllESS said:

Now that I have decided to take the next step and buy a dedicated competition rig, I have been looking around for a holster for my Glock 45. I have my eye on a Long Shadow Huron holster, has anyone bought from them and are they GTG? GX Products is out of the equation because of their 16 week lead time.

It's NOT 16 weeks for GX, it's a 52 week+ wait.

Edited by robb315

• 4 weeks later...

Any of the kydex holsters with retention will work..they all, at least should, accomplish the same goal. Hold the gun in the holster in a safe manner and allow for a relatively quick draw. Even a T-Rex Arms holster will do that, but GX Holster has a different feel to it and locking mechanism that can be achieved by adding a clamp. 

• 2 weeks later...

Look at the ghost hydra P+.  QVO also makes pretty quality holsters.  But you will want to know what division you’re going to be in to decide what kind of holster you’ll want.  

Edited by Atlas33