Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Perfectly clean comps

Took me a long time to find a good technique. Used to spend hours picking and using dremel with brass brushes etc. This method is zero effort and take minutes.

Clean comp to perfection once. Spray it with alcohol to assure metal is clean. Spray weld clean inside and spread with a Q tip to be sure it’s completely applied. Once it’s time to clean the comp use bore tech C4 and soak it for as long as you can. I strung mine up with a slip knot and dunk it in a old medicine bottle. Today I soaked a few hours and it was amazing results. 

Wanted to share with you guys who like clean guns. Mine is brand new clean every match and for those who like that this is for you.

https://ibb.co/MScWQWs
https://ibb.co/d0vkMhD

l

Edited by brian45acp

If you only shoot JHPs or plated through your comp, it doesn't get dirty.  You get a little carbon, but you can still see the machining marks at the bottom of the chambers.  If it bothers you, spray in some solvent and wipe it away.  The first time I did that I had 12k rounds through it.  I also use clean burning powder.

IMG_7196.jpeg.0172f454ea3d82df0a11156004bca970.jpeg
engraving pen to jack hammer it out. Works great! 

this is carbon build up from Sport Pistol under a 115 Everglades plated projectile

Edited by Bdh821
12 hours ago, Bdh821 said:

this is carbon build up from Sport Pistol under a 115 Everglades plated projectile

That pic reminds me that mine is overdue for a cleaning.  How long did it take with the Dremel engraver?

The point I was making is no tools required with how I did it. I was sick of using the brass dremel wheel and brass picks. I also don’t want to keep scouring my comp with tools.

The chemical method is mostly hands off and so easy. As you can see in the pic the comp glows like it’s new. But if you need to chisel stuff off it’s likely from cheaper bullets causing melted lead to stick. I use jhp for purposes of keeping my blood lead levels down.

On 1/21/2024 at 4:19 PM, brian45acp said:

Once it’s time to clean the comp use bore tech C4 and soak it for as long as you can

Thanks for the information.  I will check it out.  Probably better option than peracetic acid.

23 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

That pic reminds me that mine is overdue for a cleaning.  How long did it take with the Dremel engraver?

I’d say 30 mins seems average. You gotta be patient with it and let it actually jackhammer instead of putting too much pressure on the carbon buildup.  

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2024 at 9:13 PM, Bdh821 said:

What's that bit?  It looks like it's made of brass.

2 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

What's that bit?  It looks like it's made of brass.

It’s a brass 12ga shotgun jag that I cut and sharpened. So yea, a 1/8” brass rod basically 

PB Graphite Dry Lube spray from Home depot has worked well so far, starting with a completely clean comp.  A couple matches and a few range trips, no buildup.  

2 hours ago, GMP said:

PB Graphite Dry Lube spray from Home depot has worked well so far, starting with a completely clean comp.  A couple matches and a few range trips, no buildup.  

Can you post a picture?  I've read that the Graphite Dry Lubes leave a black residue.

22 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

Can you post a picture?  I've read that the Graphite Dry Lubes leave a black residue.

Its fine graphite and a solvent carrier, like black paint, but who cares on the inside of the comp.  Looks just like very light carbon coating after a few hundred rounds, no thick buildup.  Spray it on and then wipe off any on the outside of the comp with a rag and solvent before the carrier evaporates.  It will stick to/stain surfaces it drips on if it dries but that's what you want.