Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Korth NXS 6" 357/9MM

Speedwagon

Overpriced and over rated a S&W 627 with a trigger job and if you are determined to shoot 9mm have the cylinder reamed to 9mm. All of that can be done for under $2000. If you just want to spend that kind of money I have a 627 that can change cylinders between 38 special and 38 super has a custom barrel. I can let you have for $6000. In all honesty buy a S&W unless you just want a Korth. 

29 minutes ago, revoman said:

Overpriced and over rated a S&W 627 with a trigger job and if you are determined to shoot 9mm have the cylinder reamed to 9mm. All of that can be done for under $2000. If you just want to spend that kind of money I have a 627 that can change cylinders between 38 special and 38 super has a custom barrel. I can let you have for $6000. In all honesty buy a S&W unless you just want a Korth. 

I take it you've been able to handle or shoot one? 

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Speedwagon said:

Looking for impressions on the Korth NXS 6" 357/9MM revolver offered by Nighthawk Customs from people that have handled or tested them. Mostly thinking of using it for ICORE.

Try checking with Alex Chu/@ethalider on Instagram (and evidently here, although no idea if he's active).

He runs one now and then, and also ye standard 929. I think his was some kind of promotional/sponsorship deal, so he may not be able to be totally honest, but I don't know of any other Americans who actually compete with one.

8 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

Try checking with Alex Chu/@ethalider on Instagram (and evidently here, although no idea if he's active).

He runs one now and then, and also ye standard 929. I think his was some kind of promotional/sponsorship deal, so he may not be able to be totally honest, but I don't know of any other Americans who actually compete with one.

Thanks for this info, I'll look into it.

I shot one a couple years ago.

I didnt think it was anything that special and I was shopping for a PPC revo at the time and had money to burn.  Nice yes, but not for close to 6 grand.  The CDI factor was way high though.

I’ve shot a few. You aren’t missing anything. 

We would see more if they were priced competitively with the Smith and Ruger offerings, but I don’t think anyone would be replacing the current popular guns with one. 

My buddy has both a Korth that Willy built (what ever that means) and a Manurhin.

I've shot both, meh. No big deal. They're really well made, and the fit and finish is outstanding, but they're the wrong tool if the job is either ICORE or WRC.

Thanks all for the input!

I have an appreciation for quality German made products and don't mind paying the price in most cases but I need to see something at least a little more to make it work the extra. The YouTube reviews I see really build them up but to get this kind of feedback for what I'm intending to do with it is a big help.

Korths are cool guns.

If you can afford it, get one just for the coolness factor. I don't think you should expect it to be a superior race gun, though.

I've seen one at the range. A black and red one with all sorts of rails. I've understood that the guy is not short of small change.

Edited by perttime

45 minutes ago, Speedwagon said:

Thanks all for the input!

I have an appreciation for quality German made products and don't mind paying the price in most cases but I need to see something at least a little more to make it work the extra. The YouTube reviews I see really build them up but to get this kind of feedback for what I'm intending to do with it is a big help.

They're great guns for shooting single action, shooting double action slowly, or showing your friends at a BBQ.

ICORE and WRC, not so much.

I agree with perttime and ysrracer. The Korth and Manhurin guns are very well made, and I think worth a premium price. However, the DA on them is no better than a spring kit in a Smith. Maybe 8 - 9 lbs. and some have misfires at that level.

A while back, a local gun shop (lgs) had 4 Korth and 4 Manhurins on consignment from an estate. I know the owner pretty well, so I asked if I could put them on my trigger pull gage and check the DA pull. They were nice, but nowhere near a tuned 6 lb. S&W or my hammer kit. It's not that hard to get a Smith to 6 lb., there are a lot of them better than that. The S&W K,L, and N frame guns have the most tuning potential of any brand out there. They look similar on the outside, but the lockworks inside are very different from each other.

Edited by Toolguy

16 minutes ago, MWP said:

I’d love to see these companies market to competition shooters. 

Sponsored shooters, vendor demos etc. 

Nah, my buddy is an 89 year old retired doctor. In fact he was John Wayne's doctor (ask your grandma who he was).

Those guns are what we call in Texas as, BBQ guns, like the Texas Rangers carry.

You break them out at a BBQ, and show your friends.

I've met many and I'm one myself. Just looking at something different.

I guess I'm not from the same mold as some of the cheapest revo shooters. They must have broken it somewhere along the line. Just enjoying the time I have left here. Think I'm going to stick with my 929 and Ruger Match Champion 10MM. The Ruger I can use in the new division ICORE opened up this year "Big 6". It's in the 2024 rule book that just came out.

As a side note, I was mountain biking a while back at Moab UT and stayed at a small hotel in the back of town that had a sign up in the office that said "John Wayne slept here" with his picture and autograph. I was afraid to look under the bed!

2 hours ago, Speedwagon said:

I've met many and I'm one myself. Just looking at something different.

I guess I'm not from the same mold as some of the cheapest revo shooters. They must have broken it somewhere along the line. Just enjoying the time I have left here. Think I'm going to stick with my 929 and Ruger Match Champion 10MM. The Ruger I can use in the new division ICORE opened up this year "Big 6". It's in the 2024 rule book that just came out.

As a side note, I was mountain biking a while back at Moab UT and stayed at a small hotel in the back of town that had a sign up in the office that said "John Wayne slept here" with his picture and autograph. I was afraid to look under the bed!

Big 6 is a category like snubby, not a division.

I shot a Korth a couple of years ago: well fit, smooth action. My fiddled with Ruger GPs have  lighter triggers, heck my fiddled with Taurus 608 has a lighter trigger. However, if lighter trigger springs are available, I expect that the Korth wouldn't require as much shimming and polishing as my Rugers did.

Think of a turbo Porsche as a Manurhin or Korth. Is it nicer than a Camaro? Probably, is it a Formula 1 race car? 

Probably not.

Like I said, they're nice guns, so is a North American Arms SAA, they're just the wrong tool for the job.

If I’m going to spend that much on a revolver, it better feel like the action is on ball bearings and shoot a near caliber sized group at 50 yards from a ransom rest. 

On a trip from Houston to Dallas I stopped at Able in Huntsville, TX and they had one on display I got to fondle.

It was very impressive. Extremely well made and the fit & finish was noticeable.   I don't see the value but it was not a Taurus for sure. 

If you can afford it, I think you'd like it.  I shoot a Krieghoff  and a Kolar for clays and most people would think both are way over priced and that you can get a gun that is just as good for half the price or less. That is true, but a Beretta, even a DT11, will never be  Krieghoff.

1 hour ago, warpspeed said:

On a trip from Houston to Dallas I stopped at Able in Huntsville, TX and they had one on display I got to fondle.

It was very impressive. Extremely well made and the fit & finish was noticeable.   I don't see the value but it was not a Taurus for sure. 

If you can afford it, I think you'd like it.  I shoot a Krieghoff  and a Kolar for clays and most people would think both are way over priced and that you can get a gun that is just as good for half the price or less. That is true, but a Beretta, even a DT11, will never be  Krieghoff.

Krieghoff? Those guys are weenies :)

(here's mine)

.Krieghoff.thumb.png.5d5faef78a276ce4a156641779d66a93.png