Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's The Best Pistol Caliber Carbine?

banjobart

Best for what? If it is just shooting then a 9mm version would probably be best. Sounds like ou have some criteria in mind, might want to let us know to focus the comments.

I personally like my AR15 in .45 ACP that uses 30 round Grease Gun Mags.

Neal in AZ

Bart, I've got a Mech Tech 9mm upper on my G17 frame that I like alot. Add a couple of Glock 33 round mags and you are good to go. Great accuracy out to 50 yards and if I do my part can keep a mag full on an IPSC target at 100 yards. Also since it is not a firearm, you can order it without all the govt. hassle.

Mike

I have two 9 mm PCCs, a Beretta Cx7 Storm and a Rock River carine. I have a 9 mm Oly Arms GL model on order as it takes Glock 9 mm mags.

I like both of the ones I have, they both run flawlessly. But the RR has the advantage as it has a much, much beter trigger and I am used to the 'feel' because of my other ARs.

However, you can't beat the Storm on looks -- those Italians sure know how to design a gun. The only problem with it is magazines. You HAVE to use factory mags for reliability and maximum capacity is 20. With the RR I use my 100 rd Beta mag to get the barrel hot enough to light my cigarettes when I forget to put one in the range bag.

DVC,

Sam

I have a Mech Tech upper for a Glock 17 too. I like it a lot. Lots of fun. You sure can burn up a lot of ammo in a little bit. :lol: You get almost the same trigger feel and weight that you have on your Glock pistol.

I had a problem with it feeding the first round when loading. It would nosedive sometimes. It would feed anything I fed it after I got the first round chambered. I sent it back and they fixed it right away.

I put a cheap red dot on it. I think it is a 100 yard gun for IDPA/IPSC targets. I took it to a USPSA 3-gun match where everybody who tried it could hit a 100 yard steel target every time.

Bill

I have been using a Colt 9mm carbine with a C-more scout mount. It works everytime the trigger is pulled, plus has the ability to get a pretty nice trigger pull on it. I bought 5 ProMags and 3 worked fine, 2 were junk. The good news is ProMag will exchange the two bad ones, so little is lost. The negative side of the ProMag is they do not fall free as the factory mags do. The factory mags are a bit expensive, but work very well. I also bought two converted UZI mags that hold 40 rounds each and they work flawlessly as well. They were only about 20 bucks each, if I remember correctly. There is one thing I noticed about the PCC, there is a lot of felt recoil due to the heavy bolt slamming back. It isn't recoil as you would think of it, but it makes the dot jump around a bit.

All in all they are a fun gun. We have incorporated them into our matches to shoot after the regular IPSC match. We use the same course and use a low ready default position for all starts. So far it looks to be a popular addition.

Gary

Been waiting for 3 months for the .45 upper from Oly Arms to complete my .45 AR project.

Took the Cav Arms MKII lower off of the Rocky Mt 3-gun prize table and I have a pile of 30 round Grease Gun mags just waiting patiently.

Haven't heard of anyone being dissapointed in one of these setups.

Rockriver Arms. 9mm, uses modified uzi mags. Mine ran right out of the box. You can get 40 round mags for it that work. They also make a 100 rd bata c-mag for it.

The problem with HK is the bolt needs to be locked opened to relaod. The colt format does not require the bolt to be opened. I have an Oly 9mm comp and the c-more tactical.

post-5317-1136078296_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tactical 1

The HK's like 94,93,91,SP89,MP5/9,33,91 etc. series do not require the bolt to be locked back to load or reload. If you load their 9MM mags with 30 round's (they will hold 31-32) they work like any auto pistol, insert mag, rack the carrier/bolt without putting the cocking handle in cocking tube notch. Now, if you go to HK school they will teach to to always lock back, but I didn't go to HK school. The HK does not have a last round 'hold open' capability unless you get into the latter MP5 series 40 S&W or 10MM but neither does a Colt or Colt clone pistol caliber set up unless you are using factory Colt mags. If there has been a new development I'm not aware of fill me in !

+1 for a Mech-Tech CCU for Glock 17. You can find them for well under $300 on Gun Broker. It's a real cheap carbine solution, if you've already got a Glock, that is. ;) I got mine for a cheap blaster to use in 3-gun until I can afford that dream AR.

I like my Oly Arms GL model. Uses the now easy to find Glock 33 rd mags. Plus all my pistol mags work as well. I had a minor problem with the factory trigger job they did. Namely that the gun had a nasty habit of shooting several round for each pull of the trigger. Fun but not what I was looking for. Dropped a JP in and it worked great. The bolt hold open also broke but they sent a new one and I've had no problems with it. No malfunctions in about 1000 rounds.

I found that some of the european style 9mm carbines require that you use hotter rounds to enable the bolt to work properly. since ammo in Europe is alot hotter than it is in the states. so if you are trying to save money by buying a european design pcc. You might be spending more money than you thought on ammo. But than again there is always reloading. Another carbine that I supprised no one mentioned was the .30 carbine. Not exactly a pistol cartridge per se, but its like a pistol cartridge. If you go with a .30 carbine be sure to make sure the mags work with the gun. They seem to be magazine sensitive. I would also look into getting maybe a hk94/mp5, if the seals, swat etc are using it you probably can't go wrong, but I have found using +p ammo seems to work the best.

Keep the replies coming, all are very appreciated. The 30 Carbine will not work-it craters poppers and plates terribly. I think that caliber should be 9mm for economy.

So far the Storm seems great, but mags are a problem. 30 rounders seem mandatory. The AR's are a solution but an expensive one.

I do not have a Glock anymore, can't shoot them with a hand injury. I have several Paras but they are all 40's and I do not want to shoot up my 40 Limited ammo in the carbine. So the Mech-Tech solution gets expensive too, either in ammo or in the purchase of a Glock 17.

I wonder if reliable 30 round mags are available for the Ruger PC-9?

I haven't shot one and know nothing about them but the Kel-Tec Sub2000 is very reasonably priced and folds in two. They will take the 33 round glock mags whether you shoot a Glock or not the Glock mags are nice and reasonably priced.

You can buy the whole gun for just a little more than the Mech-tec conversion and instead of turning your glock into a carbine you keep your pistol and have a carbine too.

Has anyone tried one of these?

Here is some info and some reviews: http://www.kel-tec.com/prod03.htm

Rick

I like my Mech-Tech upper on a STI lower in 38 Super a lot, but I have little to compare it to other than a few bouts with full-auto MP5's and Tommy guns.

Great trigger, same magazines & reload speed, and I can even holster it if desired :D

I briefly considered the Kel-Tec, but I thought it felt like a toy. Too much plastic for me and the front sight is absolutely ridiculous. There are also not many options for scope mounting.

You can buy the whole gun for just a little more than the Mech-tec conversion and instead of turning your glock into a carbine you keep your pistol and have a carbine too.

The Mech-Tech's can be had for around $250 on Gun Broker from time to time. They have a Weaver scope base, where the Kel-Tec has zip, they sell a scope mount for about another $50. The Mech-Tech slips on and off as easily as the Glock slide does, so you can go back and forth in seconds.

I've got a buddy who has a CX-4 Storm and really likes it. Big stick mags are pretty easy to find. The Ruger carbine seems like a good piece, but I don't know about mag availability.

I have several Paras but they are all 40's and I do not want to shoot up my 40 Limited ammo in the carbine. So the Mech-Tech solution gets expensive too, either in ammo or in the purchase of a Glock 17.

You can have the Mech-Tech in 9mm and shoot it on your Para 40 frame, You just need 9mm mags for your Para.

quote:

I have several Paras but they are all 40's and I do not want to shoot up my 40 Limited ammo in the carbine. So the Mech-Tech solution gets expensive too, either in ammo or in the purchase of a Glock 17.

Bart:

As already mentioned-

Buy some 9mm mags for your Para and get a MechTech (with Para insert)upper in 9mm. Your 40 receiver should work fine. Also, with tweaking, the STI 170 mm mags will work and give you 27 rounds or more depending on the basepad you use.

I have a Colt AR9mm carbine and a MechTech in 45 ACP I stick on my Para. The Colt is very accurate but they do have an odd recoil to them. It is more noticable the hotter the ammo you use. I shot some of my major 9 ammo in it and recoil was on par with my 16" .223 AR with Miculek brake.

The MechTech isn't as accurate at long range as the Colt but it sure is fun. Big old holes in the paper and the steel clangs with authority. Still good enough for 3 gun fun if the range is kept under 50 yards.

I agree the MP5/HK93 is the slickest shooters. For match use, they are slower to reload though with the paddle release. And they don't have the trigger the AR system can have. But they are easiest to keep on target and softest recoiling. Also, some comments were made about loading 30-31 in the mags. We used to download to 28 for reliability back in my SRT days. Even the wonderful engineering of the HK will choke occasionally and we found loading to the max brought problems.

Been waiting for 3 months for the .45 upper from Oly Arms to complete my .45 AR project.

Took the Cav Arms MKII lower off of the Rocky Mt 3-gun prize table and I have a pile of 30 round Grease Gun mags just waiting patiently.

Haven't heard of anyone being dissapointed in one of these setups.

I just went ahead and built up my own Oly style upper in .45 ACP to build up my ARM3. I had to wait a bit but after I had all the parts they went togeather great and it shoots awesome. In fact I just put 150 rounds through it on Friday. 30 rounds of .45 ACP sure beats 30 rounds of 9mm. :D

The pic below was just after I got it put togeather and didn't have matching Coyote handguards so I used a spare set of black M4 handguards I had. I have since put a set of Coyote brown on it so it matches.

Neal in AZ

306184.jpg

Edited by Intel6

I got the Kel-Tec Sub2000 in the .40 that uses the G22 mags. and with factory loads it was not fun to shoot. Your face rests right on the metal stock and due to the gun being so light it bites a little. I have not tried reduced loads yet so I am still thinking it may work out. As pointed out before it is not an expensive firearm......John DVC

If I had it to do over again, it would be Rock River 9mm carbine all the way. You get what you pay for. I have a Cobray M-11 carbine, a High Point, a 9mm Olympic AR carbine and a 45 ACP AR carbine. All but the high point shoot 30 rounders well. I test fired a buddies Rock River, and...I envy!!! :wub:

My .02,

Jeff