Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Blue Bullet .38/.357 160g Round Nose

hueycrew

I'm looking for feedback on the Blue Bullet 160G round nose.

Will be shot from a SW627, TK 38 Short Colt Brass, TK Moon Clips. (yeah - I drank the kool-aid)

How well do they feed/load into the cylinder?  Does the shape of the bullet (Ogive) cause any issues?

I've used SNS Casting for years.  Saw the Blue Bullet on another post.

Give Damn Good Bullets a look, much better profile, not as "pointy" and smoother, rounder shoulder.

The upshot is they are considerably cheaper too. The 750 pack is 15 bucks cheaper than blue bullets. I've been using DG bullets for several years now, very satisfied with them. 

I've used them 1.180" oal in a m28 and 2 627's.  Good prices and good shipping.

Fwiw I like black bullet internationals better, a little cheaper and in my guns a bit more accurate.  Think due to sizing.  But it could be me or my guns.

You won't be disappointed.

i got a few different heavy round nose projectiles to test out for my 929 and of the coated 160-165gr i picked the blue bullets because of the pointy nose. i wanted the pointiest shape to minimize side bounce on a poor moon toss at the cylinder.  i don't know how much it matters anyway since i may screw up the rest of the reload, but i'm liking them so far. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2023 at 12:46 PM, hueycrew said:

I'm looking for feedback on the Blue Bullet 160G round nose.

Will be shot from a SW627, TK 38 Short Colt Brass, TK Moon Clips. (yeah - I drank the kool-aid)

How well do they feed/load into the cylinder?  Does the shape of the bullet (Ogive) cause any issues?

I've used SNS Casting for years.  Saw the Blue Bullet on another post.

What will your AOL be with 160s and the Short Colts?  Sounds like something I'd like to try.

2 hours ago, hueycrew said:

With SNS 160g coated and 3.5g WST. OAL 1.200

Just be aware wst is reverse temperature sensitive.  It will lose velocity as the ambient temperature gets hotter.

Saw a bad example at the 2019 or 2020 MW icore regional, buddy failed chrono, not even close needed 800 and couldn't even get 720.

He had made 840 in march 30 degree weather, and even with lab radar couldn't get past 720 at 100 degrees at Columbia, mo.  

It's an accurate, clean powder, but be cautious.

Name: .38 Short Colt: 160gr Bayou RN: Clays 3.05gr: Starline Case: OAL 1.2
Notes: S&W 627 / Current powder setting
Shots: 5
Average: 811 ft/s
SD: 10 ft/s
Min: 802 ft/s
Max: 828 ft/s
Spread: 26 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 129
Power Factor Low: 128
Power Factor High: 132
Barometric Pressure: 29 in Hg
Temperature: 90 F
Bullet Weight: 160
Powder/Wt: Clays/3.05gr
Bullet/Wt: Bayou 160gr RN
Primer: Fed SPP
Case: Starline
OAL: 1.2
Gun: S&W 627

14 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Just be aware wst is reverse temperature sensitive.  It will lose velocity as the ambient temperature gets hotter.

Saw a bad example at the 2019 or 2020 MW icore regional, buddy failed chrono, not even close needed 800 and couldn't even get 720.

He had made 840 in march 30 degree weather, and even with lab radar couldn't get past 720 at 100 degrees at Columbia, mo.  

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll will be using either Sport Pistol or Tite Group.   

8 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Name: .38 Short Colt: 160gr Bayou RN: Clays 3.05gr: Starline Case: OAL 1.2
Notes: S&W 627 / Current powder setting
Shots: 5
Average: 811 ft/s
SD: 10 ft/s
Min: 802 ft/s
Max: 828 ft/s
Spread: 26 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 129
Power Factor Low: 128
Power Factor High: 132
Barometric Pressure: 29 in Hg
Temperature: 90 F
Bullet Weight: 160
Powder/Wt: Clays/3.05gr
Bullet/Wt: Bayou 160gr RN
Primer: Fed SPP
Case: Starline
OAL: 1.2
Gun: S&W 627

I like Clays. I have about 2lbs left of the Australian mfg.  I used it a lot for 12ga, and for a while in 45 ACP.  I couldn't get the powder drops in the 45 consistent so I stopped using it there.   It's gotta be tuff in 9mm.                                               

1 hour ago, Drillbit said:

I like Clays. I have about 2lbs left of the Australian mfg.  I used it a lot for 12ga, and for a while in 45 ACP.  I couldn't get the powder drops in the 45 consistent so I stopped using it there.   It's gotta be tuff in 9mm.                                               

Dillon makes a small charge powder bar that solves that problem.  It's a square cut rather than the usual tapered end.

16 hours ago, pskys2 said:

PK:

Found this on The Forum.  2K4 and yes, the powder has probably been changed a couple of times since then but honestly. I have heard of some powders being 'sensitive' to powder temperature but always, with no exception, going in the conventional direction of 'higher powder temp, higher pressure and velocity'.  

I would rather believe the usual.  Undercharged or bullet change.  Could also be crimp and OAL but those two by themselves won't account for over 100 fps.

GG

1 hour ago, gargoil66 said:

PK:

Found this on The Forum.  2K4 and yes, the powder has probably been changed a couple of times since then but honestly. I have heard of some powders being 'sensitive' to powder temperature but always, with no exception, going in the conventional direction of 'higher powder temp, higher pressure and velocity'.  

I would rather believe the usual.  Undercharged or bullet change.  Could also be crimp and OAL but those two by themselves won't account for over 100 fps.

GG

I tested it extensively in the 1990's and it was a very real, and measurable, thing.  I observed it personally, it was frustrating but manageable as long as it was factored in.  And it lead to a life long obsession with verifying match load velocities at varying temperature, humidity and conditions.

As for my buddy, i could only go from his statements and my observation.  But it did fit into my experiences.  And it wasn't just 1 round, they fired all 8, with a fairly normal overall spread.

Edited by pskys2

The inverse temp. sensitivity of WST has been well documented over the years. Yes, it is an anomaly. Every other powder I know of is going the other direction temp. wise except the Hogdon Extreme powders starting in this century that are very stable over a wide range of temperatures.

20 hours ago, pskys2 said:

I believe it was 2019 and it was HOT and humid. We even tried tapping the case to get the powder up against the primer and gently loading the moon back it.

All to no avail.

the 2018 IRC was hotter (and higher) but no humidity and the matches were over by noon.

1 hour ago, Toolguy said:

The inverse temp. sensitivity of WST has been well documented over the years. Yes, it is an anomaly. Every other powder I know of is going the other direction temp. wise except the Hogdon Extreme powders starting in this century that are very stable over a wide range of temperatures.

Warren:

Can you link me to a test or two?  I would like to see how much change per increment of temp change and if it is repeatable.

GG

Simple solution VVN320 3.2 seated at 1.180 to 1.175. 128 to 130 PF from Florida, Colorado to Louisiana and in between. Altitude from 13’ to 4700’ and temperatures from 80 to 50. Measures great and burns super clean. 

Cost a little more but one less thing to worry about as you travel to matches across America 🇺🇸

20 hours ago, revoman said:

Simple solution VVN320 3.2 seated at 1.180 to 1.175. 128 to 130 PF from Florida, Colorado to Louisiana and in between. Altitude from 13’ to 4700’ and temperatures from 80 to 50. Measures great and burns super clean. 

Cost a little more but one less thing to worry about as you travel to matches across America 🇺🇸

I've heard a lot of good things about it.  Keep wanting to try it but between the price and availability haven't.

Anyone tried Shooters World Super Clean?  It sounds good, has a good price and a nearby Scheel's has it in stock?

Oh and gargoil66, I try to remove as many variables as possible in all things.  To the point that I installed a set screw in my Dillon Powder Bars as I noticed they tended to increase charge weight over several thousands of strokes.  Not a lot but enough to be noticed.  At first I thought it was temperature/humidity  causing slight metal expansion.  Or maybe even affecting the loads themselves.  The velocities tended to increase also.  So I did one Bar and the issue stopped.  I'd still notice velocities changing with the weather and usually pretty predictably, and that was expected.  WST was the only one that didn't follow the expected trend.  I had loads in 45 ACP, 38 Super and 38 Short Colt all follow the same pattern.  It may be it settles down at some point or in come combinations.  But it's something to be aware of.  I used it in competition in 45 ACP's for Limited and SS and never got bit, but I had to load hotter in the spring and double check in the summer.  Finally found Clays and Titegroup and switched.  I'm a little OCD though.

On 1/1/2024 at 5:41 PM, revoman said:

Kurt showed me his 929 back in 2020 and I was surprised at how clean it was (he uses 231) but didn’t think much until I “ran out” on n320 last January.  Turns out I just misplaced a few tubs but switched to 231 and that stuff is clean.

When I was demooning the 231 and n320 rounds together you  could see the difference and the amount of crap on the towel was a lot less.  Maybe a super heavy bullet and 2.8gr on n320 simply isn’t enough pressure to burn cleanly?

I sold the n320 at $75 more a tub than I paid for it, it’s crazy expensive if not impossible to find anymore.

5 hours ago, pskys2 said:

I've heard a lot of good things about it.  Keep wanting to try it but between the price and availability haven't.

Anyone tried Shooters World Super Clean?  It sounds good, has a good price and a nearby Scheel's has it in stock?

Oh and gargoil66, I try to remove as many variables as possible in all things.  To the point that I installed a set screw in my Dillon Powder Bars as I noticed they tended to increase charge weight over several thousands of strokes.  Not a lot but enough to be noticed.  At first I thought it was temperature/humidity  causing slight metal expansion.  Or maybe even affecting the loads themselves.  The velocities tended to increase also.  So I did one Bar and the issue stopped.  I'd still notice velocities changing with the weather and usually pretty predictably, and that was expected.  WST was the only one that didn't follow the expected trend.  I had loads in 45 ACP, 38 Super and 38 Short Colt all follow the same pattern.  It may be it settles down at some point or in come combinations.  But it's something to be aware of.  I used it in competition in 45 ACP's for Limited and SS and never got bit, but I had to load hotter in the spring and double check in the summer.  Finally found Clays and Titegroup and switched.  I'm a little OCD though.

PK:

Almost keeled over when I saw the price of a pound of WST.  Would have bought a pound and run some tests because it seems that those who use the powder are divided on it increasing velocity as it gets colder.  Anyway, I figure since I have no intention of shifting to WST, I will let those who use it deal with it.  

A set screw in a Dillon measure is not a OCD thing to do IMHO.  I suspect the adjustment screw in the Dillon measure probably unscrews over time.  My issue with it and any other measure is powder settling as I activate the measure.  So I end up tapping the measure to settle the powder then throw five or so charges and dump them back into the hopper.  They settle down well after that.  I am not particularly anal about pistol and revolver loads and if I have a question I just see what guys here have found to work.  Can always pick up something.    

GG