Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I remember paying under .30 centes per gallon. And latter when the price went sky high to .75 cents 1973? 74? and spending $5.00 a week for gass to get the 20+ miles to school What is the lowest you remembers paying? The gas pumps could not go over .99 c

Just curious, in what year did you pay $0.30?

Btw, adjusted for inflation $0.75 in 1974 is $2.87 today. $0.75 in 1973 would be $3.19 today.

The lowest I remember paying was $99 circa 1992 but thats when I started driving.

Edited by Vlad

The lowest I remember paying was $99 circa 1992 but thats when I started driving.

Now *that's* expensive gas!!! :lol:

Lowest I remember paying was around $.65 in the late-ish 90s in the Atlanta area - it only lasted for about a week, too...

I remember my dad filling up the Chevy Impala for 19 cents a gallon in 1965 and getting pages and pages of Green Stamps too. Heck, the attendant even cleaned the windows all the way around and checked the oil level and tire pressure too ;-)

Those really were the days and they are not coming back ;-(

I remember paying under .30 centes per gallon. And latter when the price went sky high to .75 cents 1973? 74? and spending $5.00 a week for gass to get the 20+ miles to school What is the lowest you remembers paying? The gas pumps could not go over .99 c

Damn, your really ageing yourself Jamie :)

Sub dollar gas is as far as i remember. :blink:

James

When I started driving in '61 regular cost 21.9 a gallon. When we took the cars up to Martin to race, we filled them with Sunoco 260 at 34.9 a gallon. In '65, when I was stationed in Germany, Regular at the QM station on base cost 17 cents. Of course, over there cigarettes cost 19 cents a pack and a Lowenbrau at the NCO club was 15 cents, but that's an entirely different thread.

Later, Steve

I worked at a "Spur" gas station in junior high school in the mid-sixties. We pumped "regular" for $.28/gal and "premium" for $.32/gal.

Sometime during that time, a convienence store a couple of blocks away started selling gas across the street from another gas station. They got into gas wars with each other. I remember my Daddy filling up a 55 gal drum in the back of his pickup at $.12-.15 a gal. It was like Mr. Seevers said, prices were changing hourly.

dj

Just curious, in what year did you pay $0.30?

It seams like it was 1969 lived on a good size pice of land, & had a motor cycle. my Dad let me drive it out on the paved road to the 'country store to get some gas = 'so he wouldn't have to take me', I paid extra to get the :huh: premum stuff, but it had water in and I barley got back home.

had to clean out my carb, the guy at the store insisted his gas was fine. I paid .35cents to get the good stuff and it craped my carb.

That kind of digs at me today I got two gallons and 1/3 of it was brown water, :angry: I had to work over an hour to make that much.

Ong 45 your right I should have kept my mouth shut ,, <_< like most always.

1959 filled up the Impala with .19 per gal gas...

many greens stamps and full service too...WOW those really were the days..

Actually thats one of things that always surprises me when people say it. I live in NJ where full survice is mandated by the state. Yup, I am not to be trusted to pump my own gas. I moved to the US in 1991 and lived in NJ since, but I ALWAYS forget to get out of the car when I travel out of state. I have to say that it irks me that the state mandates it but boy do I like full services when its raining or its colder then then heck.

Oh and .19 in 1959 is 1.23 today. Last years gas prices?

You know people are never satisfied with how price increases, regardless of how little it might be...

In 1965 when I started working, I made 425 a month...went to college and paid my own way and rented an apt and still had money left at months end..Now I make a bit more, but have about the same left at months end..go figure..LOL

In 1956 I bought my first car, a used 51 Ford and gas was .25 unless you could find 2 stations in a gas war then it was 'how low can you go'. In 1962 in Germany I got the same quartermaster gas ration for my Harley that a Volkswagon got, 25 gallon per month at .20 a gallon. Local gas was about .75 a liter.

My new loaded 65 Mustang cost $2500.

http://www.postcarbon.org/book/print/242

I recently read "Twlight in the Desert", by Matthew Simmons. I was an oil field production foreman for 3 years, so the technical parts of the book were expecially enjoyable to me. This guy has an MBA from Harvard, owns his own investment bank that specializes in energy, and is an advior to President Bush.

Mr. Simmons recently sort of "noticed by accident" that all the papers being published by Saudi petroleum engineers seem to cover topics related to declining production. While the Saudi gvt maintains that all is well (pun intended), the unofficial technical papers presented at world-wide conferences say otherwise. In my opinion, The House of Saud is kind of like an lawyer who has lived in the same house his whole life and is a walking encyclopedia on plumbing problems, yet claims that he has never personally experienced any.

I caution anyone who decides to investigate the concept of "Peak oil" that there are a lot of dooms-day prognosticators out there. It's a little like Y2K in that regard. Like Mr. Simmons, I remain optomistic that we will find ways to cope. It isn't the end of the world, just the end of the age of cheap oil. Change always comes.