Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot or Circle Dot for Holosun users

RangerTrace

I'm curious which you prefer if you run a Holosun optic?  I've been using the dot, but I've been dry firing the circle dot a little bit and like the speed of it.  My actual preference has been larger 5-7 MOA dot on other brands, but I ended up with a couple Holosuns on pistol deals I couldn't refuse.  

I have 2 holosuns 507c's. The first is the original one with the dot and circle, not the newer 507c comp. In the beginning I ran it with the dot and circle but after a while I felt like I was seeing too much "green" so I went to running the dot alone.

Later, I bought the 507c acss with the 8 moa chevron and the large circle that let's you find the dot faster if you are still sometimes challenged like me. Once you are on the "dot" you do not see that large circle anymore. I really like that chevron. You can focus on the point of the chevron when zeroing and later once the chevron is anywhere on the target you know you are good to go.

I prefer dot only. I found that when I had the larger circle turned one I would break the shot early as the edge of the circle touched where I was looking vs the center dot. Using the new comp model for the first time this weekend. I did like the 8 moa decently, but it was a little bigger than like. I am at 2-5 moa preference. 

On 10/27/2023 at 10:04 PM, Runswithwood1 said:

Thus far I like the center dot with 8 moa circle turned up nice and bright so it almost blends together. Havent had a chance to do much shooting as of yet but I'm pretty optimistic about the 507 comp doing what it does

I'll second that! I shoot a lot of steel chalenge and the 8 MOA circle dot looks just like a 8 MOA dot. It's been perfect for me.😍

I picked up a Holoson 507C Green last night, after having shot one on my friend Tony’s LO gun last month.  The dot combo possibilities are great, but the 8moa or 8moa/2moa are the heat.  Really nice clarity, small footprint, and big window are already pushing SROs off of guns left and right locally and nationally.

Just ordered one.  New trials for me....one, shooting green for the first time (I believe the red wavelengths make it that last color your eyes pick up?); and 2, circle reticles........for a LO application.  Be interesting....

25 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I have used several holosun's, I typically just use the dot with the only exception being the 507 comp I use the 8 moa ring with the dot basically making it a 8 moa dot. I use the dot to zero. 

Makes sense.  If mine wasn't the 30moa circle, I'd probably do the same.  The one nice thing about the 2.5 MOA dot, is it made shooting C zone steel at 100 yards a piece of cake yesterday.  

@RangerTrace people really seem to swear by dot size, and think there is only one size that makes sense and it's what ever size they've picked for what ever reason they picked.

Completely subjective here too, I feel like I can call my shots better with a small dot. Like I can see exactly where that small point was when it lifted. I think I've heard sailor say he runs a small dot, for similar reasons. I know several good shooters in this area that are small dot gang. So clearly the "big dot is the only way" crowd is at least somewhat wrong.

That said, I pick up my 8 moa ring/dot combo and I'm like "wow, this is amazing and clearly the best" then when I go back to a little dot I think that's the best. 

At the end of the day I think we probably just adapt to what ever we have. 

When I was messing with the Holosun I preferred the straight 2 moa dot. The 2+8 looked much bigger to me than 8.

personally I’ve tried a variety of sizes from 2-10. And I always gravitate back to a small bright dot. 

I've been running the 2MOA as well. I felt the 8moa ring looked a lot bigger than 8 - compared to my EPS carry on my CCW which is 6MOA, it looks almost twice the size, and definitely feels closer to at least 10moa

At that point it is just a bit too big for my preference - I really wish they made a 6moa variant as I find the dot on my EPS absolutely perfect in size.

Holosun, pls make 407 competition thx

On 10/27/2023 at 10:04 PM, Runswithwood1 said:

Thus far I like the center dot with 8 moa circle turned up nice and bright so it almost blends together. Havent had a chance to do much shooting as of yet but I'm pretty optimistic about the 507 comp doing what it does

By cranking up the brightness that much doesn't your eye focus on the dot causing you to lose focus on the target? 

When running the 8 moa circle with dot I just run the brightness like I normally would, which for me is generally kind of low. I can see that little space between them, but for the most part shooting a stage the dot is never really stable enough to notice it and it's easy enough to ignore.