Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stroked stock 2

Polymer

4 hours ago, Polymer said:

Have any of you stroked a stock 2 or own a newer one that is stroked from the factory and can tell a difference? 

I have owned both the old version and the newer stroked one. There is a difference for sure in recoil. I favour the old unstroked versions. But thats my preference. Its like comparing felt recoil and what you like to see visually between shooting 124gr vs. 147gr bullets. You might favour one over the other. If I were Tanfoglio factory I would go back to the old configuration or at least make is possible to choose how you want it stroked. 

Edited by tedahlenius85

I have a simlar experience, I have a Stock 2 Xtreme and a handful of regular Stock 2's. I had a machinist friend stroke one of my regular ones to match the Xtreme and can't tell any real differences shooting them.

22 hours ago, Polymer said:

Have any of you stroked a stock 2 or own a newer one that is stroked from the factory and can tell a difference? 

It's a fad except when one knows what they are doing.

Atlas Gun works has a great video explaining why they stroke open guns. I own multiple Tanfos, old and new, and have no idea which ones have a longer stroke of the slide.

"Stroking" 2011s was invented by Dave Dawson way back in the day, and it was mostly for the added reliability in feeding .38 Super from 170mm mags.   The difference in recoil was a secondary effect.

Later on some of the other custom builders took it up and had a little purse-fight about it.

You can fool with the stroke on Tanfos by adding and subtracting buffers.  They run reliably enough either way though.

I saw a picture of a stroked vs non-stroked Tanfo on this forum before.

Was there a particular year Tanfoglio started doing this so you can know by the year of production if your gun is stroked or not?

Or maybe if you had the newer slide serrations that would probably mean you have a stroked gun?

Edited by DenC

The new slide cuts are stroked. I've got a new one, but I still need to change parts to the same config as my other guns (out of the shop this trigger was horrible)
It shot smoother/softer the one time I testfired it, I think it was the medium hammer spring compared to the light ones that I normally run, recoil spring was the same. Might also be the fitment, this one has almost no play, my main match gun has quite some play by now.

Edited by DBX1987

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the main reason why some IFG slides are stroked is to increase extraction reliability. The sooner the ejector strikes the case before it bottoms out on the frame is better on these guns. I noticed the stroked guns have better ejection patterns i.e to the side or rearward instead of bouncing off of the ejection port and flies forward. 

Edited by Agent #1911