Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal Syntech 9mm ammo

terrydoc

Hi Guy's

I'm an IPSC PDO shooter using the 150gn Syntech, which I know is set up for and approved for USPSA match ammo. I do see there's a label on the box that states "" Action Pistol". I've come across the 115 and 124gn that has range on the label. My question is, is it as good for action pistol or is it set up for just range practice for defensive ammo?

Can't find anything of substance on the Federal website.

Thanks.  

The "normal" Syntech is loaded closer to FMJ range ammo velocities the the "Action Pistol" USPSA stuff, but is a bit cheaper than FMJ, and from the little I've shot is good stuff, it may not be as close to the power factor floor as the "action pistol" stuff. 

Also the "purple" syntech is loaded to match HST defensive ammo for practice, the "red" syntech is loaded to match the American Eagle FMJ line, other than the stuff marked Action Pistol with the USPSA logo.

On 10/1/2023 at 1:25 AM, terrydoc said:

Hi Guy's

I'm an IPSC PDO shooter using the 150gn Syntech, which I know is set up for and approved for USPSA match ammo. I do see there's a label on the box that states "" Action Pistol". I've come across the 115 and 124gn that has range on the label. My question is, is it as good for action pistol or is it set up for just range practice for defensive ammo?

Can't find anything of substance on the Federal website.

Thanks.  

I haven’t had problems with it personally, except the 150 USPSA marked Action Pistol rounds chronographed at 146 PF at my state match last year.  There’s much cheaper and equally reliable ammo out there if you’re in that PF range.  It was accurate for me.

That said, one guy I shoot with regularly and another I know have had keyholes with it from time to time.

Edited by Archer

1 hour ago, happygunner77 said:

Why hate it? It's just ammo. 

For a competition oriented cartridge it just moved the gun too much versus blazer 115gr that actuates the slide super quick

On 10/5/2023 at 5:28 PM, Archer said:

That said, one guy I shoot with regularly and another I know have had keyholes with it from time to time.

I’ve had the 150 variety keyhole as well out of a specific 92G barrel. Seems like some barrels just don’t like it. 

I did the match ammo thing at Nationals a few years back.  I had issues on steel falling.  

Talking with the CRO on the stage.  Someone I had known for years made the comment that others were experiencing the same thing on his stage.

I noticed the problem on another stage.

I did chrono with both ammo; the match and my reloads.

That issues was more than two Nationals ago so maybe the problem does not exist anymore.  But I won't buy it.

It was 150gr ammo.

I've had pretty good results with most every flavor of Syntech at this point. It makes power factor, it's soft, it's clean and it knocks down steel really well. Not sure what poppers @pjb45 was hitting but any well made design I've hit at matches has gone down, regardless of whether I hit in the calibration zone or significantly lower. 

One thing to keep in mind is some pistols, Czech and Italian in particular, are notorious for being short throated and have historically not played well with standard to long OAL factory ammo or reloads. Additionally, some pistols just don't like heavier for caliber (e.g. 150 gr 9mm) loads. It's OK if your rig doesn't like a particular ammo. It happens all the time. 

On 10/5/2023 at 9:19 PM, Nile said:

It’s great, very smooth shooting/low recoil/cycles well and pretty accurate.
It great if you’re having some who’s never shot centerfires shoot. In a full size pistol you’ll be amazed how mild it is.

This is probably the most underrated application for Syntech, especially the 150's. It's absolutely amazing for bringing new or recoil averse folks to the range for the first time. Not only is it soft, but it's subsonic so there's less concussion to deal with. 

And it's hilariously quiet suppressed. 

The guy I shoot with regularly has not had keyhole problems with any other coated projectiles, but I am not certain about the mass he’s using- that’s obviously an additional variable.  For me, no keyholes at all with the 150 Syntech, but I have just a half case remaining and moved on to 147 grain Blazer Brass and Lawman since using the Syntech last year.  I did notice that it shoots around 2” at 25 yards from my 5” HK’s, but spat 6” groups in one of my 4” SIGs and so there is definitely a barrel dependency thing here.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, OPENB said:

I think for the price of it, there are choices with a real jacketed bullet that perform similarly. A coated bullet load shouldn’t cost more than a FMJ. 

Ditto,,,
hype and marketing,, not sure why anyone buys this stuff for what they charge. 

I've had accuracy issues with plated berrys and syntec that were enough that I stoped using them at matches in my PCC & Sig P2xx. PCC groups were doubled with syntec at 50y. 

I did shoot a match using a borrowed Tangfo from a friend with syntec this summer and had no issues and what i felt was acceptable accuracy. He's shot the gun from a ransom with a dozen separate loads and uses 147 AE or 150 syntec when he can get it.