Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor load powder

blacklab

I've gotten comfortable with using SNS 115gr coated bullets with 4.3gr of universal for 9mm minor loads in a 2011 open gun and thought I'd just always stick with it forever, if it's not broke don't fix it. Unfortunately, my system broke recently, Universal is nowhere to be found. I've been doing some reading online and Unique, Sport Pistol, N340 and WST all seem to be somewhat of a good substitute from what I can tell. I'm trying to not have to buy a ton of different powders to try and was hoping someone would chime in and share what they found that works best in their gun. I know each gun acts differently, but I'd like to start with the one's that people had the best luck with and go from there. If I could find a close alternative in the first or second try that'd be a huge time and money saver.

I use Winchester 231 for everything in my 9mm and 38 mid rounds. Nice feature is that HP38 is the same powder in different packaging but is usually $1 cheaper per pound, even in the same store. Never knew why that was.

I go from 2.8gr under a 96 gr coated bullet in my revolver for SC to around 5 gr with a 135 coated for plate and USPSA loads. It runs about the same fps per charge as Tightgroup but is somewhat cleaner.

On 9/30/2023 at 4:07 PM, Dr. Phil said:

I use Winchester 231 for everything in my 9mm and 38 mid rounds. Nice feature is that HP38 is the same powder in different packaging but is usually $1 cheaper per pound, even in the same store. Never knew why that was.

I go from 2.8gr under a 96 gr coated bullet in my revolver for SC to around 5 gr with a 135 coated for plate and USPSA loads. It runs about the same fps per charge as Tightgroup but is somewhat cleaner.

Is this a load for short colt?

2 hours ago, old558 said:

Is this a load for short colt?

I am thinking he means Steel challenge. 

but eh,, who knows we got SC for steel challenge, super comp, and short colt,, maybe others.. 

19 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

I am thinking he means Steel challenge. 

but eh,, who knows we got SC for steel challenge, super comp, and short colt,, maybe others.. 

My mom thinks I'm Sweet and Cute.

No power factor 9mm, 3.2-3.4 gr of American select works. For what you are talking about an 8 lbs jug of red dot, amselect, or other mid fast shotgun powder is fine and will last a LONG time. I doubt there is a bad choice just stay W231 and slower.

12 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

Steel Challenge.

No PF. No recoil.

Just have to wait for the bullet at 35 yards. But then< I call shots so no waiting.

Sorry I should have been clearer. You mentioned your revolver so I was wondering if your load is for 9mm, 38 special or 38 short colt.