Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody use a Pro Chrono DLX with Bluetooth? What the heck did they do to the app?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, dannyd said:

That remote on the new app works great, so far.

So you get the readings on your phone? Mine only shows the last shot but it scrolls through everything on the chrono itself. What’s your device?

3 hours ago, Farmer said:

So you get the readings on your phone? Mine only shows the last shot but it scrolls through everything on the chrono itself. What’s your device?

With the new DLX app now you can change shot strings from you phone and don't have to walk out to the device.

with the old notebook I dont have to walk out to the device either,,,  I can see the display and write the number down.
Can probably see it alot better than the face of a phone,, which I probably forgot at home anyways, as I dont carry it around much. 

I used the new app at the range yesterday, what a piece of crap.

Now it drops the Bluetooth connection every minute or so, there's a delay in the shot showing up in the app, and when you display shot lists by "newest first", it keys off their creation date not the updated date.

It's basically useless. Great job

Edited by ysrracer

any way to roll back the update to previous version ?
One thing I have learned with computers is to never update a driver if everything is working ok.. 
Learned that with printers,,, everythign AOK,,, get a pop up that an update is available.... Surrrrre OK click on it..
Then spend an hour trying to un screw it up.

17 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

any way to roll back the update to previous version ?
One thing I have learned with computers is to never update a driver if everything is working ok.. 
Learned that with printers,,, everythign AOK,,, get a pop up that an update is available.... Surrrrre OK click on it..
Then spend an hour trying to un screw it up.

I wish. When I contacted Competition Electronics about it they were really pissy.

I expected better customer service.

35 minutes ago, dannyd said:

The software I use is split; no update for computer, but phone updated, so when I import the data has all the old features.  Being able to change strings is a nice add on to the phone software.

Oh, I guess I should have added I'm using the same Moto G android phone I was using before the update.

Here's what I sent them:

The new Digital Link app sucks and is basically useless.
Forget about the lack of graphics on the shot list, now it
1. Constantly drops the Bluetooth connection. I mean like every other shot.
2. There's a two second delay from when the shot crosses the chrono to when it appears in the app  
3. When you create a bunch of shot lists ahead of time, then use them, the "sort by newest" function doesn't realize they've been updated, and still sorts them on their creation date, not their updated date.
You guys have managed to turn a really useful app, into one that's basically useless. Great job

Here's what they sent me:

I understand your frustration, and assure you we are working hard to resolve these issues. However, I find your approach to be unacceptable. Making negative remarks directed at CE is no way to solve a problem and it will not get you anywhere with us. If you intend to make further communication with us, I insist you conduct yourself in a professional manner or your message will be dismissed.

For your information, the outgoing app was quickly becoming incompatible with many new devices and the rewrite was mandatory. The issues you are seeing are just a fact of reality, and everyone will have to be patient as we sort through them. These same sort of problems existed when we wrote the original app and we worked hard to correct every one. Updates will be released often until all is resolved.

8 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Here's what I sent them:

The new Digital Link app sucks and is basically useless.
Forget about the lack of graphics on the shot list, now it
1. Constantly drops the Bluetooth connection. I mean like every other shot.
2. There's a two second delay from when the shot crosses the chrono to when it appears in the app  
3. When you create a bunch of shot lists ahead of time, then use them, the "sort by newest" function doesn't realize they've been updated, and still sorts them on their creation date, not their updated date.
You guys have managed to turn a really useful app, into one that's basically useless. Great job

Here's what they sent me:

I understand your frustration, and assure you we are working hard to resolve these issues. However, I find your approach to be unacceptable. Making negative remarks directed at CE is no way to solve a problem and it will not get you anywhere with us. If you intend to make further communication with us, I insist you conduct yourself in a professional manner or your message will be dismissed.

For your information, the outgoing app was quickly becoming incompatible with many new devices and the rewrite was mandatory. The issues you are seeing are just a fact of reality, and everyone will have to be patient as we sort through them. These same sort of problems existed when we wrote the original app and we worked hard to correct every one. Updates will be released often until all is resolved.

Well, based on the tone of your message, and their response to you, I guess it’s safe to assume that the 4 messages I sent them were all “dismissed”.

i sent mine while at the range, and I was quite upset because I had limited time, and needed to get through a chrono session. Then when I got home and found one they changed the export process, I sort of lost it. 

I probably should send them an apology, but I’m still a bit torqued about it. No matter how they changed the app, there was absolutely no reason to change the format of the exported data. It’s a simple CSV file, why change that???  Now none of my excel import macros work and I don’t have time to try and fix them.   

The company does struggle, I sent a unit in for repairs and they could not fix it, luckily I purchased it from Brownells and their going to take care of it.

The software also struggled first time around, hopefully they can fix this, but for a 150 dollar unit it still works very well.

6 hours ago, Farmer said:

Tried mine yesterday and it worked just like the old one, just looks different. Maybe you have some excess lint in your phone. 

Same Moto G android phone I used before the update, and it worked just fine then.

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

Well, based on the tone of your message, and their response to you, I guess it’s safe to assume that the 4 messages I sent them were all “dismissed”.

I'll keep my response to their response to myself for right now :)

I would not be surprised if they were struggling, they are  still selling their old tech with some minor updates.

When my original Pro Chrono with Bluetooth adapter died (it fell, i didn't shoot it. Honest*) I replaced it with a LMBR + bluetooth adapter. Same price, but no hassle with setting up lighting or diffusers.

Just turn it on and plop it down, work great on indoors ranges.

Same with the timers, only the most expensive one has BT and they all look pretty chunky.

(And still a 9V battery? Give me a break)

I have used several of their products and I have always like them and their support was pretty good back than.

It's a shame really.

*the muzzle blast pushed it off the table