Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 trigger pin broke

Ignatz

Hi, I had 2 light strikes in the last 500 rounds and decided to dismantle my 929 and give it a good cleaning. When I pulled out the trigger, the pin that's supposed to be pressed into the frame came out too. I initially thought that I'll just put it back in when I reassemble the side plate, but now I looked at everything again and can see the pin is broken inside the frame.

I was planning to shoot this 929 at Nationals this October and have several questions.

1.......I think I can reassemble the 929 with the broken pin. I think enough of the pin will go back in the frame hole to secure the trigger pin. I'm waiting for an Apex firing pin and wouldn't get to try this until later in the week.

2.....What's the correct way to fix this? 

3......I do have a spare 929, but would like to use this one at the Nationals.

Thanks, Rob

If you try to use the broken pin, it will not end well. The way to fix it is to drill out the broken part and put in a new pin of the correct diameter and length. You can secure the new pin in the frame with bearing retainer LocTite. Leave the trigger out for 24 hrs. and put the sideplate on to align the pin until the LocTite sets up. Clean off any excess, and reassemble. If done carefully, you can avoid drilling all the way through the frame. That way it won't look any different, and the pin can't come out.

2 hours ago, Ignatz said:

Thanks, I hate to send it back, but this repair is too much for me. Thanks for your response.

IN:

May want to ask TK as well.  I think I would trust them more than Smith and Wesson.

For sure, that sort of repair is over my head too.  Smart man.

GG

There are 2 options with s&w, 1st have them do it with a flush pin and refinish this option is the most expensive.  2nd they have what's called a crown stud pin, it will leave a dimpled pin visible.  Have had both, in think the crowned stud is stronger but have no proof.

They did m29-3 under warranty, yet charged me $160 for my 3 year old m627 PC?

Took them a couple of months. 

I'd contact tk, pinnacle or dave ohallso. Spelling not right probably.

This happened to a friend of mine a couple months ago when I took his side plate off to replace the hammer. 

He sent it to S&W and 6 weeks went by before they opened the gun case. When they saw it was a PC gun, they had to send it to the PC and said it may be 4 more months or longer.

I’m Duke’s friend.  First they told me it would be a warranty repair that would take 6-8 weeks. After 8 weeks, I called and they told me that almost exactly a month after they got it, they transferred it to the Performance Center, that the pin was a wear item that they would charge for and that it would be 4-6 months for the repair.  I was told that customer service can’t determine if it’s a warranty repair or wear problem until they have the gun.  Not happy, but what can you do?

Performance center model used in competition seems to be sketchy on if they’ll warranty cover the work.  If you send in to S&W be sure they are aware it’s a performance center job and pray that helps with the transfer delay.  Both times I had work done,  it was over 12 weeks…

Edited by NoSteel

9 hours ago, RangerMcFadden said:

Mojo Custom does them as well. Contact via FB.

Unfortunately not anymore, its just been in the last week he announced he is not doing trigger pins anymore due to his eye sight not being what it needs to be to do the finish part of the job.   Still would ask if i were op tho, and if you dont care about a possible line or mark of some sort let him know.   He did 2 for me last year at the same time and it took about 2 months door to door.

He is saying he is going to post instructions/pics of the process for posterity sake.  I have a very talented machinist near me who will do this work so long as he has instructions, so im hopeful there will be at least 1 option left that is not the factory which is no longer a warranty fix.

A bridgeport and proper tooling is required to do this job.

11 hours ago, pskys2 said:

There are 2 options with s&w, 1st have them do it with a flush pin and refinish this option is the most expensive.  2nd they have what's called a crown stud pin, it will leave a dimpled pin visible.  Have had both, in think the crowned stud is stronger but have no proof.

They did m29-3 under warranty, yet charged me $160 for my 3 year old m627 PC?

Took them a couple of months. 

I'd contact tk, pinnacle or dave ohallso. Spelling not right probably.

Tk told me no, dave said he could but he doesn't have a jig setup to make it easy and told me to go to joe. 

That was last year, you may be able to convince one of them to do it though, its worth asking.

That sucks, I never got my worn one fixed, it's still in the safe in pieces.  I never was able to send it to Mojo due to all the BS in 2020/21, so I just left it.  There is a new S&W warranty place in Canada, I should just deal with it. 

16 hours ago, RangerMcFadden said:

For crying out loud. Just lost pinnacle. Very few “gunsmiths” now-a-days.

the problem is real and oddly its generally a good thing. The reason its a good thing is by and large guns are very well made these days, the vast majority require little to no service to run reliably. 

the down side it for us enthusiasts there are less and less people doing it and its getting more expensive all the time.