Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help ASAP!

jeremy kemlo

Shooting the WRC this weekend with my 14 year old daughter. My daughter wants to shoot the 929 and I do not have any load data for it. I have a couple options. I could bring Factory 115 grain federal ammunition. not sure what power factor that would result in. Or I could load something up with my 145 Gr Bayou Bullets within 320.  
I used 145 grain Bayou Bullets with 3.2 g of N320 in my Cz Shadow 2.  That gets me 131 power factor but not sure what that will do in the 929. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Phil said:

Factory loads in the 929 often show a lot of bullet creep and misfires.

I was able to get the ammo he would like to use "Factory 115 grain federal ammunition." to fire reliably with the right moon clip, but bullet creep was really bad - as in shoot 7 and the last bullet may have walked all the way out of the brass. 

Considering that I see a loss of about 100 fps due to the cylinder gap, I would suggest you try 3.5 of the N320 under your 145s.

My QuickLoad program says you need 3 grains under the 160 to make 124 pf.  At this point, why try to cut it too close?

Edited by pyrrhic3gun

Am I going k to load the 160 to a length of 1.125. That’s what my press is at now. 

36 minutes ago, pyrrhic3gun said:

Considering that I see a loss of about 100 fps due to the cylinder gap, I would suggest you try 3.5 of the N320 under your 145s.

My QuickLoad program says you need 3 grains under the 160 to make 124 pf.  At this point, why try to cut it too close?

33 minutes ago, DukeSoprano said:

Close as I can get to helping is my Short Colt load

Bayou,  160 gr, 1.175 OAL, 3.1 N350 , 125PF

627 V-Comp

I would go for 2.85-2.9gr to be safe of N320 but pull the bullet out to 1.18” and crimp that *****.  Leave a nice indent in the round.

I have ours at 1.19”, with a projectile that long I’m not sure you could get to 1.12” without deforming the brass.  It’s not a CZ 

The 929 is a 9x21

23 hours ago, jeremy kemlo said:

I used 145 grain Bayou Bullets with 3.2 g of N320 in my Cz Shadow 2.  That gets me 131 power factor but not sure what that will do in the 929. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

145gr with 3.25gr of N320 (in my Super GP 100, not a 929, granted, but at least they're both revolvers) is 130PF on the nose.

My 929 load is 3.20 gn of N320, 147 gn Blue Bullets (they are sold as 147, but are technically 150), OAL 1.120", Federal #100 GM primers for consistency. This gives me just over 130 PF if I recall correctly. 

The OAL is the only wildcard and the value I use is to minimize messing around between different loads for different guns. The fat BB bullets won't pass the plunk test on some other guns if loaded longer because the ogive is pretty high on these particular RNs. 

On 7/13/2023 at 1:03 PM, jeremy kemlo said:

Shooting the WRC this weekend with my 14 year old daughter. My daughter wants to shoot the 929 and I do not have any load data for it.

Wayne Nordwell, is that you buddy ?

Long time, no visual. How you been?

Since N320 is fairly close (no not exact!) to W231, I think the 3.2gr. recommendation is accurate. My load for the 145 - 150 gr projectiles is 3.3 W231. I load to 1.100 in all my 9mm because that is my shortest chamber in an auto. (Yes I understand that autos are different than revolvers.) I don't change anything other than the case between the 2 platforms. I also use the same set up for .355 9mm bullets and .3575 revolver bullets with no creep.

BTW my 3.3gr load with a 147 or 1 coated 150gr runs at 132pf (auto) and 130 (revo).

So, I'm interested to hear the rest of the story.  I see from the results that she shot well enough to get 3rd Junior.  Congrats to her!  What load did you settle on?  Did she get the chip in the bag and have to chrono?

If so what did they chrono at speedwise?

• 3 weeks later...