Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who builds a good 2011 from customer-supplied parts these days?

Rudukai13

***Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it if needed***

For some reason this week I’ve been thinking a lot about having a custom 2011 built to certain specifications. I’m talking a kind of “I want this company’s barrel, I want this company’s grip module, this style frame, this finish, this trigger pull weight, etc” exacting specifications. I’ve also considered buying a production 2011, like a Springfield Prodigy, and sending it out to a ‘smith to replace basically everything but the slide and frame with parts I select.

Who should I contact to inquire about this possibility? Point me in the direction for the best 2011 gunsmiths in the country who will build me a gun using compiled parts from various other companies. As of right now, budget is NOT a factor. I’m more than happy to pay top dollar for top quality

I think you will find most builders have a preferred set of parts they like using for whatever reason. No way I would buy a Prodigy if I was gonna pay to gut it. Id look at Brazos for a short block kit. 

I don’t mind using the builder’s preferred slide and frame rather than starting with a Prodigy, as long as they build it to the specification I want using a few specific parts. In particular, I want a 5” length slide, a full-length dustcover picatinny railed frame with a butler cut muzzle (like the 5” Prodigy frame), a Lone Star Innovations Outlaw left-handed grip module, and a 5” Government length Schuemann Z Barrels Tribrid 9mm barrel. Before anyone says anything, I know that barrel isn’t the best for competition/a traditional threaded and comped barrel will be softer and flatter/any other number of objections. I have different priorities other than maximum competitiveness.

Who are the gunsmiths that do high-quality, extremely reliable custom 2011 builds these days and aren’t afraid to deviate a bit from their usual blueprint?

Just a question. If you have no cost issue and want the best builder you can find why are you wanting to specify the parts? If you truly go to a top notch builder they will know way more than you.

I'm thinking no respected builder will put his name on a gun that you completely define. Why would they?  

I suppose it’s less the specific parts and more the resulting specs that those parts provided. I wanted to use the LSI Outlaw grip because I’m a lefty and wanted the mag release on the right side of the grip, but apparently both Atlas and SVI offer left-handed grip modules now. I wanted the Schuemann Tribrid basically to have a 5” total length barrel including integrated compensator, but if another builder is willing to make a similar barrel and comp assembly I wouldn’t have any issue using theirs instead.

So, less concerned with the specific parts, more concerned with the final specs of the pistol

You could try Rob at RSU Arms in Texas. He built me one last year and pretty much took what I drew on a piece of paper and built it using all the parts I wanted and used his frame. All slide cuts were my design and it came out perfect. 

48 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Atlas is just as good.  Fewer options, but a faster lead time.

They replied already, they’re at capacity just producing their regular line of pistols and not taking custom orders any time soon

49 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Atlas is just as good.  Fewer options, but a faster lead time.

Disagree. Not of the same caliber. Same price, if not more. But that’s about it. 

1 minute ago, Shmella said:

Disagree. Not of the same caliber. Same price, if not more. But that’s about it. 

RIGHT back at you.  Shot for them 8 years and have owned lots of them.  I'd buy another Atlas before Infinity all day long.

After reaching out to most of the builders recommended and looking through their prior work, it looks like SVI will be most willing and has previously built guns much more to individual customer specifications. It won’t be me sending in a pile of parts, but I’m confident they’ll be able to replicate what I’m wanting with their own pieces and make sure it still runs 100% reliably

SVI is just like every other larger builder. You have a selection of preset options. Thats it. Id argue SVI actually gives you less options overall. They are really more about milling and coatings as of late. Not to mention their turn around times if you need them to fix something is awful (Assuming they are even willing to look at it). 

My top 3 would builders would be... (All will build from a box of parts if you butter them up lol). 

Venom

Rafferty

Carne 

1 hour ago, Maximis228 said:

SVI is just like every other larger builder. You have a selection of preset options. Thats it. Id argue SVI actually gives you less options overall. They are really more about milling and coatings as of late. Not to mention their turn around times if you need them to fix something is awful (Assuming they are even willing to look at it). 

My top 3 would builders would be... (All will build from a box of parts if you butter them up lol). 

Venom

Rafferty

Carne 

I’ll give those three a call and ask if they can do what I’m looking for. It’ll be a few weeks still before I’m ready to actually put a deposit down and get on the waiting list, regardless of who I go with

On 5/27/2023 at 7:32 PM, RangerTrace said:

RIGHT back at you.  Shot for them 8 years and have owned lots of them.  I'd buy another Atlas before Infinity all day long.

After having many of each in my shop I have to agree with Ranger on this. I’d go atlas before infinity.