Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does a jp-5 require more cleaning than blowback?

Never had a blowback AR9 but I will only shoot JHP's out of my JP5, I've found that cast or even JHP's with exposed lead bases leave a lot of lead fouling in the comp. As for the rest, have you ever shot low power loads out of your 1911/2011 and noticed how dirty it gets. From the brass not having enough pressure to seal to the chamber. Well with the JP5 and it's fluted chamber it seems worse, I think that's because the fluting starts in the bore so the cartridge doesn't probably seal that much at all. The front of the action gets a lot of carbon, the magwell and magazines get filthy. While I've never had an issue with dirty causing a problem cleaning the lower every time is kind of a pain. But like I said I don't know what a blowback is like.

17 hours ago, drone14k said:

Would the jp5 require a lot more cleaning than a short stroked blowback pcc? Shooting around 1k rounds a week with coated bullets and TG

Absolutely not. The roller delay is a far, far cleaner operating system. 

You WILL be cleaning ANY compensator using Titegroup and coated bullets. 

48 minutes ago, drone14k said:

Do you not have to take apart the bolt and clean inside? That was my main concern is that putting that thing back together frequently would be annoying.

About every 2 matches ( maybe every match if I’m bored ) I’ll pull the bolt, give it a rub down and a little oil. You simply turn he roller assy @ 90 degrees then turn the lock block the same. Entire process takes about 90 seconds and no tools. Not to mention the 5’s seem to stay much cleaner than my GMR-15’s did. 

1 hour ago, Part_time_redneck said:

About every 2 matches ( maybe every match if I’m bored ) I’ll pull the bolt, give it a rub down and a little oil. You simply turn he roller assy @ 90 degrees then turn the lock block the same. Entire process takes about 90 seconds and no tools. Not to mention the 5’s seem to stay much cleaner than my GMR-15’s did. 

Do you ever have to disassemble the roller assembly though?

1 hour ago, drone14k said:

Do you ever have to disassemble the roller assembly though?

No, there's no reason to do so. 

5 seconds of 3M High Power Brake Cleaner is about all the time that's necessary for "cleaning" with another 5 seconds to dip your BCG in oil + 1 flick to remove excess. 

12 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

No, there's no reason to do so. 

5 seconds of 3M High Power Brake Cleaner is about all the time that's necessary for "cleaning" with another 5 seconds to dip your BCG in oil + 1 flick to remove excess. 

Isn't brake remover a bit ' bad' ? It removes all deep into the material? I would love to use it 🙂

Rather than using Brake Kleen, I like using Carb Cleaner.  It doesn't completely strip all the oil off the metal like Brake Kleen.  It does a fair job on carbon, but it will eat through Nitrile gloves.  Unfortunately, the Peoples Republic of Commieforniastan has banned most of the Carb Cleaners, which I don't understand.  I would think the Communist California Air Resource Board would love CARB Cleaner.

https://pj1.com/blog/brake-cleaner-and-carburetor-cleaner/

Nolan

9 hours ago, Nolan said:

Rather than using Brake Kleen, I like using Carb Cleaner.  It doesn't completely strip all the oil off the metal like Brake Kleen.  It does a fair job on carbon, but it will eat through Nitrile gloves.  Unfortunately, the Peoples Republic of Commieforniastan has banned most of the Carb Cleaners, which I don't understand.  I would think the Communist California Air Resource Board would love CARB Cleaner.

https://pj1.com/blog/brake-cleaner-and-carburetor-cleaner/

Nolan

Probably because they've made cars with carburetors illegal too.......

• 3 months later...

I was curios about the cleaning issue too - I have a GMR15 and JP5 - an injury has curtailed my shooting so I have <1500 rounds through the JP5, most very hot loads for bowling pins - stays pretty clean.  Just cleaned the GMR after about 2000 rds, it was filthy - but I shot a lot of different power loads, the softer ones are definitely dirtier.   

In summary - I can't tell at this point if the JP5 runs cleaner or dirtier for sure, but I will probably clean more often regardless, seems like there is a lot going on and I don't want to gum up the works.  

My JP-5 is much cleaner than my GMR-15.

There is a caveat.  Depending on the powder you're using, you'll need to take the extractor and spring out and clean the channel.  I do a regular clean every 1200-1500 rounds and at about 4K, had a failure to extract stove pipe at a match.  Fast forward 4 months, and I'm finally back to shooting after a knee scope.  I forgot about the stove pipe and didn't do a full bolt clean before a practice session last Friday.  I had another stove pipe and pulled the bolt down.  I don't know how it ran at all with all the gunk under and around the extractor and spring.

I think this was the same malfunction Max Leograndis had at the Nats a few years back. 

I'm pulling the extractor every 3K from now on.  FYI, my load is 4.5 of N320 under a 115 PD JHP V2.  It's 133 PF.

18 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

No, that was not related to carbon or the -5 in general.

Sounds like the same malfunction to me.  Both of which seem to be user error by not maintaining a clean Extractor and/or Extractor spring.  Because of Max's Malfunction and post I make sure to keep this area free of carbon. Makes complete sense if carbon is packing that area that it will not work correctly.  Maintenance intervals are obviously going to depend on the type of powder used.  

Per Max in the thread linked below:

"That was an unlucky malf. I hadn't cleaned or removed the extractor in 15k rounds. Only maintenance I did was infrequently wipe out the inside of the upper receiver and the bcg with cleaner, then re-lube. Fouling had started to build up around the extractor causing the tension to lessen. I did check the tension prior to the match, but only with my finger, not a casing, so I didn't realize how much build up there was in the crevices."  

Maybe I am not understanding Max's post correctly.  But as I read his and the post above it would seem it is the same malfunction to me. 

Edited by Boomstick303
48 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Sounds like the same malfunction to me.  Both of which seem to be user error by not maintaining a clean Extractor and/or Extractor spring.  Because of Max's Malfunction and post I make sure to keep this area free of carbon. Makes complete sense if carbon is packing that area that it will not work correctly.  Maintenance intervals are obviously going to depend on the type of powder used.  

Per Max in the thread linked below:

"That was an unlucky malf. I hadn't cleaned or removed the extractor in 15k rounds. Only maintenance I did was infrequently wipe out the inside of the upper receiver and the bcg with cleaner, then re-lube. Fouling had started to build up around the extractor causing the tension to lessen. I did check the tension prior to the match, but only with my finger, not a casing, so I didn't realize how much build up there was in the crevices."  

Maybe I am not understanding Max's post correctly.  But as I read his and the post above it would seem it is the same malfunction to me. 

There's more to it, but if it's not posted then I'll just leave it. 

Moving back on topic, here's the official video for maintenance. 

Here’s a simple fact. Everything is usually a pro / con relationship. Even if the JP-5 did require more cleaning, which it doesn’t, the reliability & how good it shoots more than make up for it. Both of mine have remained very clean but then like stated, I don’t let it get too bad before a rub down.