Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rival S holster fitment

TheChef1

On 3/16/2023 at 11:18 PM, TheChef1 said:

I’ll let you know when I get it. I definitely stopped holding my breath though. I’ve heard people saying that he was taking up to 6 months. And that was before he changed shops.

So, the people at Ghost might have some miscommunication between their customer service teams because...I had originally been sent a DM response that the Hydra P would NOT fit the Rival-S (which is why I posted that above), however, I also got an email saying this (when asking if the Hydra P would fit the Rival-S):

"We are glad to let you know that the Hydra P and P+ is being made for the Canik Rival S we are currently in a trial and error phase with this pistol model and are doing some adjustments with the help of our customers feed back if you do decide to purchase this holster before checking out please leave a note/comment that its for the Canik Rival S.

Thank you

Ghost Holsters"

Anyway, I ended up ordering one to see how it'll turn out. We'll see I guess. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Small world... I AM that customer working with Ghost (at least one of them). I joined the forums specifically for this topic. 

I can tell you with certainty that the stock Hydra P+ for the polymer Rival does not work. The shroud is both too narrow side to side and too short from rail to slide. 

They fixed the side to side issue with some small spacers. I'm waiting to hear back on what they provide for the for the rail to slide height issue. 

I'll report back here with any progress one way or another. 

On 3/16/2023 at 12:32 PM, Illmatica said:

Let us know how it turns out, please. 

I was hoping to get the Ghost Hydra P (I want a locking-type holster for reasons) but they said it wouldn't fit a Rival-S.

Thanks. 

I have the Ghost Hyrda P+ For the Rival. It's snug but seems to work fine for me with my Rival S.

My Smoky Mountain for the polymer Rival seemed OK without modification but them was sticky at the range. I was looking at the Canik thinking of its Walther heritage, and tried a Comp Tac International PDP 4.5 holster I had, and the Rival steel fits great. 

On 4/5/2023 at 7:58 PM, GJM said:

I was looking at the Canik thinking of its Walther heritage, and tried a Comp Tac International PDP 4.5 holster I had, and the Rival steel fits great. 

Can you please post a pic or even a video showing the draw? It looks like there's a PDP 5" version.

I bought the Ghost Hydra P+ thinking it would fit the steel frame version and should get it today. Hopefully it fits. Now I'm finding it hard to find an IDPA holster.

Edited by telligentgunner

Just got the Ghost Hydra P+ and it does not fit like it's supposed to out of the box.  It's snug and rubs against the kydex hood, which it's not supposed to do on this model.  However, if you loosen up the hood screws, it becomes lose and fits like it should.  All you'll have to do is add some metal or plastic washers between the kydex hood hand retention module to make and keep it wider.

I don't think I'm going to keep it because it sits too far away from my body for my liking.  If anyone wants to purchase it from me before I send it back, message me.  I may even add the washers for you and make sure it fits.

I think I'm going to go with Carey Concealment's X1 Raptor because of its magnetic retention and the fact that I can use it for both USPSA and IDPA.

P.S. If everyone on here who's looking for a really good holster messages Double Alpha and requests that they make a Max Holster for the Rival-S, that could push them over the edge to produce one. That holster is by far the best I've used for Glocks with its roller retention, but none of the ones they make will fit the Rival-S.

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/max-holsters

Edited by telligentgunner

On 4/7/2023 at 6:01 PM, jpm2953 said:

Just got my rival-S today. What’s the go to holster? Smokey Mountain? Really don’t like RHT but I will if I have to. 

The smokey mountain is great but I wouldn't get  it unless he has a mold for the rival-S yet. Even after altering mine the draw can be sticky and now the polymer is loose in there and I really have to crank down the screws.

8 hours ago, SufferInSilence said:

Anyone know if the DAA Racemaster insert block for the TP9SF fits the Rival (steel frame version more specifically) 

Theres a guy around me who swaps back and forth between his poly rival and tp9sfx.  He shoots them both in open because he likes  the magwell and slide racker. I think  he uses a racemaster for both but no clue what block he uses.

9 minutes ago, TheChef1 said:

The smokey mountain is great but I wouldn't get  it unless he has a mold for the rival-S yet. Even after altering mine the draw can be sticky and now the polymer is loose in there and I really have to crank down the screws.

He has an option for the rival-s. That’s what I ordered. Fingers crossed 

3 minutes ago, TheChef1 said:

Theres a guy around me who swaps back and forth between his poly rival and tp9sfx.  He shoots them both in open because he likes  the magwell and slide racker. I think  he uses a racemaster for both but no clue what block he uses.

Hmmm interesting.  Good to know.  DAA only makes a block for the TP9SFX so I guess it does work then.  
Just got my 1st Canik yesterday (steel frame) I was shocked how wide/fat the trigger guard was. 

Im debating to hold off until that Align Tactical thumb rest comes out then see which brand will make a holster for it before dumping $100+ on a holster.  
My P320 holster from Black Scorpion is made to take Align’s thumb rest.  
(Oddly, the Rival will drop-in the 320 holster with some decent useable tension, for a short term fix) 

Just now, jpm2953 said:

He has an option for the rival-s. That’s what I ordered. Fingers crossed 

Cool, After I got my rival S and saw it didn't fit properly I let him know and showed some pictures of where it was getting hung up so I'm sure he got it setup for the S. I got my S super early so he hadn't had one at the time to make a mold from. 

1 minute ago, SufferInSilence said:

Hmmm interesting.  Good to know.  DAA only makes a block for the TP9SFX so I guess it does work then.  
Just got my 1st Canik yesterday (steel frame) I was shocked how wide/fat the trigger guard was. 

Im debating to hold off until that Align Tactical thumb rest comes out then see which brand will make a holster for it before dumping $100+ on a holster.  
My P320 holster from Black Scorpion is made to take Align’s thumb rest.  
(Oddly, the Rival will drop-in the 320 holster with some decent useable tension, for a short term fix) 

I used my M&P pro 5 inch holster for awhile with the rival and I gave it to my buddy who is still using it. Theres been comments on enos of people using PDP, Glock 34 and sig holsters too.

On 2/6/2023 at 9:43 AM, WxGuy said:

I have a Black Scorpion holster for my SFX that worked on my poly Rival.  It's thin Kydex and the heat gun/hot water trick may work on it.  My double Kydex RHT holster may present a bit more of a challenge.

RHT makes one for the Rival S.

Update: I have a BSG holster for sig 320 (the fancy pants aluminum hanger type) 

I ordered the BSG Canik Rival S holster with the paddle mount on eBay for $50.  Swapped mounts and its competition ready.  

So I saved about $75 just using the hanger for hint my BSG holsters.  

• 3 weeks later...

I’m thinking about picking up a used polymer rival, it does not come with the factory holster.

Hoping to test the pistol some before investing in gear… Anybody have experience if it will fit in a comptac Glock 34 holster? Or a Glock with light holster? 

i’ve use the Glock with X300 holster for a number of non-Glock pistols, but they don’t all fit. If anybody has holsters laying around and can test, I would appreciate it.

The factory provided pistol is useless anyway.  If you’re average Joe and need a place to hold your pistol while you walk around your property etc it’s fine.  It’s a place holder rather than a useable rough and tumble/get at it holster.