Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideal power factor

lroy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

is it harder because of the incredible pressures and intimidating power? or is it just because everyone is using ultra-light slides and 7 lb recoil springs and otherwise seeking bleeding-edge performance?

Major doesn't seem all that hard on your average limited guns. Seems to me talk about reducing power factor makes as much sense as reducing speed in F1 so the engines will last longer (and so girls and poofs can drive the cars without being skeered).

;)

My comment wasn’t about lowering the power factor. It was to correct the comment that basically stated that major isn’t more harsh to a gun than minor. 9mm major makes a ton more pressure than a 45 making major and more pressure than a .40. A few of the now common powders can spike pressures pretty quickly in 9 major if over loaded by just a little. The rest of your statement I’ll leave alone as it’s just plain stupid. 

Just now, donnyglock said:

My comment wasn’t about lowering the power factor. It was to correct the comment that basically stated that major isn’t more harsh to a gun than minor. 9mm major makes a ton more pressure than a 45 making major and more pressure than a .40. A few of the now common powders can spike pressures pretty quickly in 9 major if over loaded by just a little. The rest of your statement I’ll leave alone as it’s just plain stupid. 

lol, ok, are you only talking about 9mm major? or does the same problem exist with 38 super? Is it only a problem with certain powders?

I know you know alot about the topic, but just saying 'major is harder on the gun than minor' leaves out alot of variables and context. 

19 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

if people choose a cartridge that beats up the gun, how is that anyone else's problem?

hah, pretty much the thought I was trying to get across..
Dont get why 40 never became a more popular open option.. I guess cause it wasnt around when people started experimenting with higher capacity and started with 38 supers.

14 minutes ago, donnyglock said:

your correction is incorrect..
Major isnt more harsh on a gun than minor.
Loading to major in a round never designed for major is harsh...   See thats an example of the  FA to FO mathematical theorem... 
In that an increase in the amount of FA (F#$#K around)  has a direct relationship to an increase in  the amount of FO... (Find Out)

11 hours ago, Joe4d said:

your correction is incorrect..
Major isnt more harsh on a gun than minor.
Loading to major in a round never designed for major is harsh...   See thats an example of the  FA to FO mathematical theorem... 
In that an increase in the amount of FA (F#$#K around)  has a direct relationship to an increase in  the amount of FO... (Find Out)

That’s exactly what I said if you read it. 9major makes has way more pressure to make major. No one is shooting .45 in open. I’m not going to argue the facts of today. It’s a stupid discussion to be honest as this is the open gun forum and no one shoots .45. 
 .38 super and super comp is harsher in major than minor obviously,  as a bigger explosion means more heat and pressure but it’s less than 9major apples to apples. 

Edited by donnyglock

11 minutes ago, donnyglock said:

Lol. Hell yes since I build a lot of them these days. 

Curious how much of your work is skewed away from the limited and open guns to slide ride now. It does seem like all 2011 builders jumped on it 

32 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

Curious how much of your work is skewed away from the limited and open guns to slide ride now. It does seem like all 2011 builders jumped on it 

Honestly it’s been a fair amount. Right now I have 4 slide rides and three open guns  in my immediate q. Limited guns have been on the decline for awhile. 

Edited by donnyglock

15 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

Thanks Donny. I appreciate your candor. I think it’s pretty telling 

What are you talking about?  According to those in the know on this forum there is only a hand full of 2011 minor shooters, Limited isn't dying, blah, blah, blah..........

Every cracked slide I’ve seen in person has been on an open gun.  Two were tri-topped three weren’t.  All broke around ejection port. 

The only thing the guns had in common is that they were open guns. Some were 9, some 38. A few were shooting 115s, most shot 124s.  

8 minutes ago, lroy said:

Yeah, I guess kind of the point of this thread was to ask, what is functionally the difference between 150pf and 175?

The dot movement will be minimal either way, but one is safer.

What ? That makes no sense whatsoever.
Slides sliced and diced out of their design parameters, Rounds hot rodded  out of design parameters and its the power factor thats the problem ? 

6 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

What ? That makes no sense whatsoever.
Slides sliced and diced out of their design parameters, Rounds hot rodded  out of design parameters and its the power factor thats the problem ? 

It makes perfect sense. Everyone uses 9 or 38.

Please stop posting about 45. You obviously do not shoot open competitively.

11 hours ago, CalTeacher said:

Every cracked slide I’ve seen in person has been on an open gun.  Two were tri-topped three weren’t.  All broke around ejection port. 

The only thing the guns had in common is that they were open guns. Some were 9, some 38. A few were shooting 115s, most shot 124s.  

The slide on my Infinity Limted gun cracked right down the middle from the ejection port about 2/3 the way toward the muzzle end after 80k+ rounds with 170+ pf ammo and 12# recoil spring.  But that was because the slide had internal lightening (larger bore), flat top, and serrations.  Which is how I spec'd it.  Unfortunately, with that combination, the material was really thin right where it cracked.  Replacement slide has tri-top and no internal lightening or serrations.

14 hours ago, CalTeacher said:

Every cracked slide I’ve seen in person has been on an open gun.  

most sti dvc limited guns that were actually used seem to have cracked.

i have a 9mm 1911 used only with 135-ish pf that cracked. Fortunately this was back in the old days when STI/staccato still stood behind their products, so the slide was replaced under warranty.

Edited by motosapiens

6 hours ago, lroy said:

It makes perfect sense. Everyone uses 9 or 38.

Please stop posting about 45. You obviously do not shoot open competitively.

please stop crying about cracked slides, you obviously are shooting over spec ammo, and underspec slides

34 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

please stop crying about cracked slides, you obviously are shooting over spec ammo, and underspec slides

at no point did I mention cracked slides. you don't read posts and don't shoot open. why are you posting?

21 hours ago, lroy said:

at no point did I mention cracked slides. you don't read posts and don't shoot open. why are you posting?

actually putting an open gun together now... But if it breaks or blows up in my hand I am a big boy and will lick my wounds and start over.
I dont think it is right to advocate for rule change due to safety when the issue isnt the rule, its the non standard gun mods.

Edited by Joe4d