Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PC Virus Scanner Suggestion: AVG

I think I've posted this product plug before-- at the World Shoot I found that some Czech shooters had been sponsored by Grisoft AVG. For anybody that doesn't recognize the name, they're one of the second-tier anti-virus vendors (the first tier consisting of the Mcafee and Norton duopoly, for no reason except market size)

Checking into it a little more, Grisoft not only sells for half what the tier-one guys do (you get two years for the price of one), but they also offer free trials and even a completely-free version for home non-commercial users. Their scanner is as good as or better than most and in my testing on several home machines and a small corporate deployment, trouble-free, unlike Norton and McAfee.

It's a win all-around. Check it out. http://www.grisoft.com. You'll have to poke around a bit to find the free home version.

(no I'm not sponsored by them.. though I will entertain offers :D :D)

I put the free version on my son's machine about 6 months ago and have been impressed with how it compares to the Norton program I'm using. I'm thinking about letting my Norton subscription expire and changing my machine over to AVG as well. Good to hear they support the shooting sports.

+1 on Shred's recommendation, I actually use the free version on all of my home PC's and install in on anyone else's home PC's that I happen to be servicing that need anti-virus.

Never knew that supported the sport, that's fantastic. Even more of a reason to support the product.

Edit: Here's a link directly to the free version of the software. http://free.grisoft.com/

Edited by j2fast

so? So Ah? will it help me spell better? and if i install it and my computer locks up will Roy help me fix it?

How do we let AVG know we are purchasing their product becuas they sponsored a shooter?

Thanks I needed a new Virus program. I am loading it now

B)

so? So Ah? will it help me spell better? and if i install it and my computer locks up will Roy help me fix it?

How do we let AVG know we are purchasing their product becuas they sponsored a shooter?

Thanks I needed a new Virus program. I am loading it now

B)

Smell better? Oh, right, spell. :lol: maybe not. But if it breaks your system, it probably was hurting to begin with.

The best way I know to let them know is via one of the Czechs I talk to occasionally whose dad was one of the sponsorees, but I'm sure there's a comment form on their web site somwhere. I'm not sure if there's a separate US / CZ branch.. if so, the US office may be thinking WTF?, but they'll live.

Have had it in/on my system for quite some time. It automatically updates and scans every day. Seems to work great. I had no idea they sponsored shooters!! No wonder I liked them. Meanwhile, many of my associates also swear by AVG. There is also an expanded version of their ware that can be purchased; but the Home version is free. I imagine you can make charitable donations to them much as you can with SpybotS&D--who takes PayPal.

• 1 year later...
I used to use AVG but found something that I feel is better and is still free.

AVAST I have had great success with it.

I was running AVG and liked it. It didn't use very many resources and loved the price. No problems with viruses. One thing that I didn't like about it was that each time that I ran Spybot S&D or AdAware was that I would find lots of spyware on my machine and the program didn't do anything to stop it so I was removing the same stuff each week and lots of it.

I switched over to McAfee Total Protection 2007 for this reason, but am considering getting my money back on it. I'm running one of the new dual core processors and my download speeds were greater than 5 mbps with the AVG product installed. With no other changes except the install of McAfee, my download speeds have been cut in half. Just today ran some speed tests and the speeds were 1700, 2500 and 2300 nothing close to the 5400 than I use to be running. McAfee has a 30 day money back garantee and I am just about ready to take them up on it.

Rick

I just downloaded Avast and it seems really nice. So nice that I just might pay for it because they did such a good job with it. I can detect no system slowdown at all. The only thing I don't care for is the totally funky teeny-bobber friendly UI.

Thanks for the heads-up! Beats the heck of of Norton VirusMagnet 2007®. ;)

I'm still using AVG and things still seem to be cool on this home system. I also still use Spybot S&D and wouldn't think of operating without it.

Norton and McAfee ought to be outlawed. Useless pieces of s**t.

Wanted to add that we include AVG Free (and AdAware) on all our refurbished boxes at work either for donation or resale. It's good stuff. We're not obliged to add in Spybot S&D on our refurb's but I always do or the new owner will end up with zillions of tracking-ware and crap they may not be hip to removing.

That's incredibly cool that Grisoft sponsor shooters. Incredibly cool. B)

Could not agree more. every machine I have had these on eventually locks up and/or slows down. More often sooner than later. If I get a new machine with Norton or Mcafee, I rip it out by the roots. This is not easy as they are very invasive.

Been using AVG for 2 years with good results - even survived and cleaned a few infections. Also run spybot and adaware, but will probably be giving up on spybot in the near future as their downloads are becoming problematic. Have went with a new one I like called spyware blaster which is also free.

My favorite tool,though, is privacy keeper which erases all the temp stuff as soon as you leave the internet. I think it has actually saved me a number of times.

+100 Both products are evil crap that they promote as something people can't live without.

I'm still using AVG on all of my Windoze PC's; Spybot and Adware are tops on my list of must have software as well.

I like AVG. I've been using it for about a year. Much less intrusive than Norton or McAfee.

I'm an IT guy so I often get calls for "tech support". In the last 4 months I have had to forcefully uninstall a Norton AV and/or security product from three computers because it had broken something important like Office or had decided to completely disallow access to the network. In two out of the three cases the uninstall application didn't work and I had to use my laptop to download a special uninstaller from Norton's website that removes their products. I think it is a bad sign that they need this but it was nice they made it available. Removing Norton and replacing it with AVG fixed all three cases.

I'm glad to hear they support shooting as well. All of the AVG users should write to them and let them know that support of shooting is important to at least a few of their users.

I have been running AVG on 2 of my computers at home for the last 3 years and have had no virus problems since. Norton is junk, it wouldn't catch a virus unless it was one that its people designed. My office computers run McAfee and seem ok. My newest 64bit machine has AVAST because the AVG system will not run in a 64 bit OS, I tried several times and finally gave up as it is not supported for 6. Bothe of these antivirus systems work very well as my home pc's have been virus free for a long time. I quit using all the Symantec/Norton products because they dont get the job done. The only product the company uses of Norton at all is Ghost. The fact that they support shooters is just another bonus.

Edited by scirocco38s

"One thing that I didn't like about it was that each time that I ran Spybot S&D or AdAware was that I would find lots of spyware on my machine and the program didn't do anything to stop it so I was removing the same stuff each week and lots of it." Rick

Hey Rick, I've been using AVG for at least 5 years and I think it's an awesome product. Free is good but I would pay for it if I had to. (maybe someday we will) Anyway, with regard to your statement about Spybot Search & Destroy and Lavasoft's AdAware, they are designed to find spyware and advertisement cookies not viruses. AVG locates viruses.

The reason why AVG is is such an awesome product is because it uses heuristics. "Heuristics improve the efficiency of search algorithms...they are more computationally efficient."(Wikipedia) This is why they update their definitions every day. They get a new list of the virus crap found out there and give your computer the new data to find it. McCaffe and Norton are so busy spinning their wheels all day long looking for a virus that they can't exactly identify that they suck up computer resouces like your cpu and memory.

AVG has something new this year, AVG Anti-Spyware. It's also free. Try it, you'll like it.

~Nanci~

I have used both AVG and Avast and they are both great. Another one to try is NOD. I believe they have a free trial period and the cost to purchase is very low. It has a very high detection rate and doesn't bog your machine down at all.

Adam

I think I've posted this product plug before-- at the World Shoot I found that some Czech shooters had been sponsored by Grisoft AVG. For anybody that doesn't recognize the name, they're one of the second-tier anti-virus vendors (the first tier consisting of the Mcafee and Norton duopoly, for no reason except market size)

Checking into it a little more, Grisoft not only sells for half what the tier-one guys do (you get two years for the price of one), but they also offer free trials and even a completely-free version for home non-commercial users. Their scanner is as good as or better than most and in my testing on several home machines and a small corporate deployment, trouble-free, unlike Norton and McAfee.

It's a win all-around. Check it out. http://www.grisoft.com. You'll have to poke around a bit to find the free home version.

(no I'm not sponsored by them.. though I will entertain offers :D :D)

Thanks for the tip

Anthon

... http://www.grisoft.com. You'll have to poke around a bit to find the free home version.

Let's be honest: you have to poke around a LOT to find it. :D

Here's a direct link: http://free.grisoft.com

So far Avast seems to be fantastic. It's lean, functional, and I can detect no system slowdowns. Integration into Outlook Express was seamless, which was a pleasant change from Norton.

The only downside is that they haven't sent me my keycode yet, which kind of concerns me.