Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revo with optics maybe legal in USPSA

Bosshoss

Looks like Revolver with optics might be become legal in USPSA but in limited 10. BTW way they have always been legal in USPSA but in open division🙂.

8 minor vs autos with 10 major doesn't sound like much fun(I guess it is better than shooting against 29 rounds and a comp) but at least it will give all those that have been saying I would shoot USPSA with a revolver if I could use optics no more excuses😂.(still could have shot open)

I suppose this will also translate to Steel Challenge???

I just hope that not very many of our current revolver shooters switch to limited 10 to do this as the numbers they track would not show those that shoot limited 10 with a revolver as revolver shooters and further reducing the numbers of revolver shooters that are still shooting revolver. 

More discussion here.

3 minutes ago, RJH said:

Why not shoot eight major? 

Eight rounds of minor is for revolver division only, you could have always shot eight rounds of major in l10

I've shot revolver matches with 357 mag 125 jhp at 1400 f/s, scored minor, it was fun didn't see a huge difference in times either.  But the wear and tear on the gun is accelerated and I wouldn't do it much.

Kind of like major 9 at a 180pf.

Just now, pskys2 said:

I've shot revolver matches with 357 mag 125 jhp at 1400 f/s, scored minor, it was fun didn't see a huge difference in times either.  But the wear and tear on the gun is accelerated and I wouldn't do it much.

Kind of like major 9 at a 180pf.

Think 180s @ 925 would be bad/hard on the gun?

Dang it, scratch all that, I was thinking 357 would be okay for major in l10, it is not. Got to have 357 sig or 40. My mind got shooting major in revolver mixed up, because you can shoot eight rounds of major with a 357 revolver in open, but not in l10

Revo optics wouldn’t be any more competitive in L10 than it would in Open. Sure the capacity difference is there, but with the semi-auto reload speed and major power factor, there would be no chance. The only way Revo optics would work would be heads up (aka OSR in Steel Challenge), and I am not advocating that at this time.

The addition of optics in L10 is just throwing a bone to see if folks want optics on their major PF Limited guns, since the new Limited Optics division might effectively kill Limited irons. I personally would have just allowed SAO into CO, but I’m not a CO shooter so what do I know,

The shift in the new rule proposals really seems to be leaving Revo (and Single Stack) in the dust. If Production is allowed to increase capacity, then they might survive (as a surrogate Lim minor division), but Revo is effectively dead (with the noteable exception of the people on this forum). Please note that I am also not advocating scrapping the division, just that I don’t know how one would increase participation numbers.

Thinking about the future of Revo does make me a little sad. It is my favorite division. Every year I think this is the year, but it never plays out. I don’t think allowing optics in L10 would change that, since open allows that currently and I don’t see anyone taking advantage (but I’m sure one or two people probably have at some point just for the novelty).

Just thinking about this a bit more, I would run an optic revolver if they allowed it in Production (under the current capacity rules). An optic-sighted 8 shot revolver would probably still get beat by an iron-sighted 10 shot semi-auto, but at least it’s closer than it would be in L10. The main difference here is that not only are both on the same PF level, but only the Revo would have the advantage of the optical sight (which would make more of a difference in minor PF scoring).

Edited by J_Allen
Clarified my reasoning in the last sentence

I would like to have seen them use an 8 round major and 10 round minor scoring like Single Stack.  I'm thinking that a 9mm 1911 with an optic might be fun in this division.  I'll shoot it with my red dot revo to get ready for ICORE matches.

I had cataract surgery and now my eyes are better for irons.  I can use +1 safety glasses and still see the sights.  I didn't expect those results.

8 minutes ago, BadShot said:

I would like to have seen them use an 8 round major and 10 round minor scoring like Single Stack.  I'm thinking that a 9mm 1911 with an optic might be fun in this division.  I'll shoot it with my red dot revo to get ready for ICORE matches.

Agreed. Always wished they would have done 8 major and 10 minor in all the locap divisions

I wonder how a low cap iron and a low cap optics division would work.  Major/minor scoring, allow magwells, no thumb rests.  It won't make it perfect, but still a place to play. I suppose you could make it 8/10 rounds at the buzzer to bring revolvers a bit more competitive.

Combining Revolver with locap is about as equitable as combining PCC with Carry Optics. Total nonstarter; the guns are just too different for fair competition, at least once you get past 8 rounds.

I do like having more places than Revolver and Open to realistically play with them, though.

Does anyone shoot L10? I am thinking at our local matches I have rarely if ever seen anyone shoot L10 

Shooting a revo in open always seemed dumb as you would pretty much be guarantied to finish in last place and have to explain to all your buddies that you don't really suck that bad, you were just shooting a revo with a dot...

1 hour ago, Chillywig said:

Does anyone shoot L10? I am thinking at our local matches I have rarely if ever seen anyone shoot L10 

Shooting a revo in open always seemed dumb as you would pretty much be guarantied to finish in last place and have to explain to all your buddies that you don't really suck that bad, you were just shooting a revo with a dot...

Locally we have 1 guy.  Shot my 625 with a dot at a level I sc match in open once, ended up in the middle of the pack.  But in uspsa?  I'd expect to not be last, but it would still be an unattractive option.

2 hours ago, MWP said:

Allowing them. No one would be competitive without them the moment they were allowed. 

I'm not sure, in sc and at our icore matches I usually shoot a 627 PC irons and a pro dot, usually my PC score is 5% better.

For me the dot is slower, it's an issue of wanting to settle the dot.

So I doubt if I'd change, but know several who would.

Not that it matters optics in revolver isn't on the table.

Edited by pskys2