Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Electronic Ears

Cjblackmon

Hey guys. With so many different brands of Electronic Ear Muffs out there, what are some of the best ones out there? I'm tired of wearing earplugs at the matches! I'm looking for a headset based on a few factors.

1. Quality of performance (outside use only).

2. Comfort

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys. With so many different brands of Electronic Ear Muffs out there, what are some of the best ones out there? I'm tired of wearing earplugs at the matches! I'm looking for a headset based on a few factors.

2. Comfort

2. Comfort

Look at the Peltor or Dillon electronic muffs. The Tac-6 are very light and comfortable. They work well with rifle, pistol and shotgun. The Tac-7's are a little heavier, but are very comfortable for RO work.

Both are effective.

Liota

PRO EARS

By RidgeLine Inc

made in the USA by a Shooter. Nice guy Dan Nigro made in WestCliff Colorado!!!!!

WWW.Pro-Ears.com

All his stuff is first rate and he helps with JR shooters and at the Steel Challenge

I sugest the Dimension 1 = yo can have a normal conversation and the gun fire will not come through.

Made in the USA buy Americans in a nice town.

2. Comfort

Sounds like a set of pro ears to me.

For me, quality of performance means two things: how well it reduces sounds (NRR) and how well it reproduces sounds (electronics).

I like the highest NRR available (for Open guns), so that basically means there are two candidates: the ProEars Pro-Mag and the Peltor Tactical-Pro. I've got both. The electronics are better on the Pro-Ears, but only marginally. Neither get loud enough IMO, but that's probably a good thing given what they're on our heads for.

Comfort is your other determining factor. Based on that, I'd choose the Tactical-Pro. I had the Pro-Mag first and noticed its position on my head was somewhat tenuous and, also, that it was heavy. Quick head snaps made 'em move a bit. Worrying about whether or not your ears are going to stay on is not a good thing and definitely makes you uncomfortable (and the thing should have plenty of tension on a dome as large as mine).

I then asked for (and got) the Tactical-Pro for X-Mas last year. I added Brownell's Ear Muff Covers and they're pretty damn good. I still use earplugs—the Leight Matrix plugs—underneath when I'm shooting Open and sometimes solely when I'm shooting Limited or Production. It's the perfect setup, IMO.

The smaller/lighter sets might work for you, however. I had a set of the Radianz that I didn't like (they were a little small for my ears, didn't reproduce sound that well, cut out rather than attenuating when shots were fired, and sucked down batteries), so I'd say go with the Pro-Ears Predator or the Peltor Tactical 6... and if you don't mind spending big(ger) money, the Peltor Comtac.

If you can, try out some other people's ears at local matches.

HTH. :)

i have a set of the radians pro amps. i forget what i paid for them, but it was somewhere around $60-70. they work well, and i dont think they shut down to block noise. if i'm scoring while shooting is going on on the stage next door, i can hear fine even with plugs under the radians. before i got the radians i would constantly have to take a plug out to hear the RO calling the scores. compared to how much some of the others cost, i think the radians are a great buy. (keep in mind that i've never tried any of the more expensive brands, so i cant compare...but the radians work well for me).

I am an electronic muff junkie. I have owned just about all of them at one time or another. After all the smoke cleared, pardon pun, I have settled on two that IMO are the best for several reasons. The Radian Pro Amp and the Pro Ear Predator 300 run neck and neck. The Radian muff is about half the cost of the Predators. The Radian uses cheap AAA batteries also. When I go to the range I find myself usually reaching for the Radians.

The Predator needs a bit more gain for me. It appears that the gain is not adjustable in the Predators. Others my find it perfect for them.

Another Radian muff, the Pro Magnum is larger than either, but has a lot of gain.

Thanks a lot for all of your responses! Now I have a lot more to go back on. I didn't know at all how many brands were out there and I wanted to get a shooters point of view when it came down to comfort and quality. Thanks for all of your help, and I'll let you know which I decide on. Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Chad

Hey 300Lb,

If you want your Pro-Ears louder, have you tried moving the jumpers on the circuit boards? There are easily adjustable gain settings on the boards themselves.

http://www.pro-ears.com/troubleshoot.htm

John

Hey John,

Never messed with it. Really, it's the bulk and weight that became mroe of an issue for me than merely it not getting loud enough. I'm keeping 'em now for those rare times I take someone else out to the range.

I just might have to try those Deutsch muffs. My guess is the majority of the NRR comes from the cups. However, if the electronics are as good as they say they are and there's plenty of gain to be had....

Thanks again for all of your responses. I ordered the Pro Ears Pro Slim (+), Dimension 1's. These are brand new and coming straight from the Pro Ears Company. The ( + ) is their brand new design that's coming out in January 2006 (ordering it straight from Pro Ears you can get it before January). It Takes the standard Pro Slim design from a NRR (Noise Reduction Rating) rating of 21 to NRR rating of 28, as well as added comfort. I picked these because I found that Pro Ears have the highest gaurantee (5 years) on their Dimension 1's, and seem to have all of the performance and comfort I'm looking for.

I did search the out the Sordin Supreme Pro's. They were the same price as the Pro Ears ($230, but cost wasn't the concern, performance was) but the warranty was for only 90 days and the NRR Rating was lower at 22.

I'll be getting them tomorrow (thank god for overnight shipping since I hate waiting for anything), and I'll take them to the range tomorrow night. Thanks agin for all of your responses and help!!!!

Edited by Cjblackmon

PRO EARS

By RidgeLine Inc

made in the USA by a Shooter. Nice guy Dan Nigro made in WestCliff Colorado!!!!!

WWW.Pro-Ears.com

All his stuff is first rate and he helps with JR shooters and at the Steel Challenge

I sugest the Dimension 1 = yo can have a normal conversation and the gun fire will not come through.

Made in the USA buy Americans in a nice town.

+1 on the Pro Ears. I tried a few of the better ones before I called the guys at Ridgeline. Initially it was the 5 year warranty that got me to try them. Now you couldn't pay me to give them up. I have the Dimension 1 and they're great. They may take 4 batteries, but they seem to last forever.

-Cuz

Guys,

Someone just emailed me and told me about this thread. If you're looking at something sub $100, like it has been said above, the Radians Pro Amps are a great buy BUT if you're looking at the vicinity of the Pro Ears and the Sordins, check out the MePaBlus.

We've been T&E'ing a bunch for the past 12 months for the Team and short of the Sordins having better electronics, the MPBs are the way to go. We originally thought about purchasing them for the guys on the Team but we've been so impressed with them that we've offered to sign on as their exclusive US importer for the T-132s.

Mike Luciano of MLE Shooting Sports is one of your forum dealers and he'll be stocking these real soon. He's been hounding me for more since he sold out of his first delivery. Sorry Mike, I wish I was smart enough to get more the first time round :(

Here's the latest review on Military Moron:

http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/he...ar.html#mepablu