Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSA Competition Kit (P320) - what's the verdict?

erwos

I did some review of the forum and, weirdly, didn't see much about the new TheSigArmorer Competition Kit. Are people liking it? Does it do a reasonable job of approximating a TSA trigger job? Trying to decide if I want to buy one... I have a P320 that's purely for experimentation and not a primary/backup competition gun, so the risk is relatively low, I guess.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, erwos said:

I did some review of the forum and, weirdly, didn't see much about the new TheSigArmorer Competition Kit. Are people liking it? Does it do a reasonable job of approximating a TSA trigger job? Trying to decide if I want to buy one... I have a P320 that's purely for experimentation and not a primary/backup competition gun, so the risk is relatively low, I guess.

It may not have been available long enough to get much exposure.

Plus the price is going to keep some people away.

I'm probably going to get it just because I like to tinker but I'm not in any hurry.

If you are referring to sending the gun off to Robert and and having him do the competition trigger then yes, it is worth it.   The trigger is more crisp, almost no overtravel.  Best striker trigger out there with the exception of a tuned Canik.  I like the GG kit .  Huge improvement in the weight for the record.

27 minutes ago, B585 said:

If you are referring to sending the gun off to Robert and and having him do the competition trigger then yes, it is worth it.   The trigger is more crisp, almost no overtravel.  Best striker trigger out there with the exception of a tuned Canik.  I like the GG kit .  Huge improvement in the weight for the record.

I am referring to this: https://www.thesigarmorer.com/product/the-sig-armorer-p320-competition-level-kit-with-flat-trigger/

Although now I notice he also has this kit presumably for use with the Keres trigger: https://www.thesigarmorer.com/product/the-sig-armorer-p320-core/

I’ve got his trigger kits in both my legions, I really like it compared to the stock triggers. I’m new to the P320 platform but for a striker fired trigger it’s very crisp and has a very short pull and reset with the competition springs. Coming from CZ’s I am more than pleased with the trigger kit. 

I got a chance to dry-fire a P320 with the Sig Armorer drop in kit earlier tonight after a match.  It's nice, but I don't think it's $300 worth of nice.  You can get similar performance with a combination of the Tactical Trigger kit (using the #1 springs and competition pre- travel stop) and the Armory Craft spring kit (using the lightest springs) for almost one third the price of the SA drop-in kit.  Hopefully SA can get their economy of scale up so the price can be lowered.  

On 11/2/2022 at 9:07 PM, erwos said:

I am referring to this: https://www.thesigarmorer.com/product/the-sig-armorer-p320-competition-level-kit-with-flat-trigger/

Although now I notice he also has this kit presumably for use with the Keres trigger: https://www.thesigarmorer.com/product/the-sig-armorer-p320-core/

Ok, that is not what I was talking about so I can’t comment on it.  I actually sent my guns to him.

• 3 weeks later...

I get my drop-in TSA trigger kit today for one of my p320s.  I'm very curious how it will work.  

I’ll be able to compare it to a hand done/non-drop in kit fit by Robert himself with an early version of his strikers before they were released.  

I haven’t liked the GG kits or the various versions with the keres trigger.   My current TSA hand done kit is much better than any other p320 trigger I’ve tried.  It’s shorter, crisper, and faster than my other attempts at a good trigger.  

The TSA drop in trigger is far beyond any expectation I have for any striker fired trigger.  Super shot take up.  Fairly crisp break with zero creep.  GG triggers are great but I find the comparison in relation to creep is not even a contest when comparing to the TSA drop in trigger.  The reset is pretty short as well.   While the trigger pull weight on the gage is more than my GG triggers when physically pulling the trigger it somehow does not feel heavier than the GG trigger.

9 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

The TSA drop in trigger is far beyond any expectation I have for any striker fired trigger.  Super shot take up.  Fairly crisp break with zero creep.  GG triggers are great but I find the comparison in relation to creep is not even a contest when comparing to the TSA drop in trigger.  The reset is pretty short as well.   While the trigger pull weight on the gage is more than my GG triggers when physically pulling the trigger it somehow does not feel heavier than the GG trigger.

“Super sho(r)t take up”. - does that mean the striker safety is compromised? Thanks 

11 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Even though TSA did my Competition Level Action Job, which includes the same parts, I agree with @Boomstick303100% on his assessment!  

Had also tested the AC and GG packages prior to the TSA package.

👍

13 hours ago, jaep1911 said:

“Super sho(r)t take up”. - does that mean the striker safety is compromised? Thanks 

No.  It looks like he accomplishes this through geometry, and modifications he makes through the parts.  Its not accomplished by adjustment screws.

Through his new trigger which you can see when comparing them is built different than the stock trigger and the modification to the trigger bar spring.

At the 12:50 point of the video below is most likely a good explanation of how this is accomplished.  

On 11/21/2022 at 8:56 AM, uhmeebuh said:

I get my drop-in TSA trigger kit today for one of my p320s.  I'm very curious how it will work.  

I’ll be able to compare it to a hand done/non-drop in kit fit by Robert himself with an early version of his strikers before they were released.  

I haven’t liked the GG kits or the various versions with the keres trigger.   My current TSA hand done kit is much better than any other p320 trigger I’ve tried.  It’s shorter, crisper, and faster than my other attempts at a good trigger.  

Verdict time - it’s great!  Even better than the hand done one Robert did for me which I considered the pinnacle of a P320 trigger.  I have tried all the other options (GG, Apex, AC, Keres and others) and they don’t compare IMO.   

All the slop on my original trigger (after ~12k rounds and a lot of dry fire) is gone and the break is significantly better.   Not as good as a PPQ with a Dynamic trigger but very good.   One buddy said it was closer to a 2011…but I wouldn’t go quite that far.   It’s still a P320 after all 🙂

The new sear and safety lever are much tighter fit and you can feel it in the break.   I notice less vertical movement in the slide when dry firing but that may be just my bias.  

I went with the -10% sear springs and the +20% trigger spring since I like a strong reset.    It resulted in a ~5lb break which is ~1.5lb heavier than my well broken in trigger.  Some of the weight is my spring selection, some is that the springs are new, but I think some of it is the shorter curved trigger.  

I really didn’t like the curved trigger at first - mostly because it’s different than the flat trigger and I have a lot of rounds through the flat triggers.  The curved trigger puts the finger up a bit higher which likely contributes to some of the heavier feel.  It’s also a bit of a tight curve so there’s really only one place for your finger - not like any of the hybrid curved triggers out there.  It’s got a wide flat face otherwise and it feels good.  

But my splits were the same the first time out and I didn’t notice the trigger curve at all when actually firing.  So, it’s likely that it’s just different and not anything that impacted my shooting.   And…now I really like the trigger so much ado about nothing.   

TLDR; it’s very good, removes almost all of the slop, it’s worth the price IMO. 

On 11/22/2022 at 10:35 PM, uhmeebuh said:

I notice less vertical movement in the slide when dry firing but that may be just my bias.

I have zero upward slide movement when pulling the trigger with my AXG Pro with a Barstow barrel and SA drop in trigger.  Not sure what cancelled that out exactly but it was nice to see.  

Edited by Boomstick303

11 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I have zero upward slide movement when pulling the trigger with my AXG Pro with a Barstow barrel and SA drop in trigger.  Not sure exactly what cancelled that out exactly but it was nice to see.  

@Boomstick303 Was your BarSto barrel a gunsmith fit or drop in?

:)

4 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Gunsmith Fit.  I guess it was not easy.  Lock up is really solid and the gun seems to run great with about 250 rounds through it.

Wonder if the forward underlug was able to be fit in order to take up some of that slide to frame "slack"?  

Looking forward to hearing your function/accuracy reports once the barrel is broke in!

:)

On 11/23/2022 at 8:41 AM, Boomstick303 said:

I have zero upward slide movement when pulling the trigger with my AXG Pro with a Barstow barrel and SA drop in trigger.  Not sure what cancelled that out exactly but it was nice to see.  

Are you running the axg pro 4.7” slide? 

4 hours ago, fireman1776 said:

I know it's not directed at me AND it's not what this thread is about BUT....

I'm running the AXG pro slide 4.7" instead of the Max slide 5.0" and I like it better.  The slide only weighs an ounce or so less but the balance is better IMO and it's a bit faster.  I like how it swings better as well with less barrel and guide rod in the front.  I'm curious about even shorter/ lighter/ faster slides but will run this for the next season and see how I feel about it then.  

Edited by uhmeebuh
forgot some words

14 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

I know it's not directed at me AND it's not what this thread is about BUT....

I'm running the AXG pro slide 4.7" instead of the Max slide 5.0" and I like it better.  The slide only weighs an ounce or so less but the balance is better IMO and it's a bit faster.  I like how it swings better as well with less barrel and guide rod in the front.  I'm curious about even shorter/ lighter/ faster slides but will run this for the next season and see how I feel about it then.  

Thanks. I priced out an AXG conversion kit and it's basically the cost of the entire gun with the FCU. I was debating trying the axg lower with my x5 5" upper but I hadn't heard any reports on it. 

On 11/24/2022 at 3:48 PM, fireman1776 said:

Yes.  I am curious as to how it runs vs 5" barrel variants.  I am trying to get my P320 Platform as close to my Athena as I can, too keep handling/indexing the guns as close as possible.  It seems to be working with what I have created.  I have yet to test stuff back to back, or on the clock.  That will come in the next month to see how they stack up.   

Edited by Boomstick303