Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

opinions on xtreme bullets?

Obvious

I'm looking for a cheap plated bullet and xtreme bullets scratch that itch at around 9cpr. They seem to have mixed reviews on an old school website, so I'm wondering if anyone here has anything to say about them? Not sure if I want to go with 124 or 147 but I'm looking at ordering 1500 projectiles this coming payday. 

I have loaded and shot many thousands of Extreme Bullets over the years because of price and quality. They used to ship free but those days are gone. I purchased and shot both the 124 and 147 rounds. Both reflected good results for IDPA and Steel Challenge but when they started increasing their prices and started charging shipping I moved to Precision Delta and have never gone back…..

To answer your question - their product quality to me was very good and their product was consistent in the orders I purchased which was about 50,000 rounds over a five year period of time…

sucked so bad they changed their name a few times to sucker in a new group of buyers..
HOWEVER.. I fully admit I haven't bought any in oooh 22 ish years,,,  Sizing  consistency was horrible..  
Probably why your old websights have bad reviews. Although most copper plated besides Berry's had same issue back then.
Maybe they got their act together...  Get a sample pack and try em see if they work for you.
I can say that in last few years I got a batch of everglades copper coated and they worked fine

i have shot a ton of them and do not have any bad news. I switched over to Everglades plated bullets about 3 years ago because of the quality and the 2nd day free shipping. The version (1 )147 flat nose gives me match grade accuracy and i have won many matches with them since the switch. Either are good products, Everglades gives a choice of plating thickness and diameter along with constant sales and free shipping. 

1 minute ago, Joe4d said:

sucked so bad they changed their name a few times to sucker in a new group of buyers..
HOWEVER.. I fully admit I haven't bought any in oooh 22 ish years,,,  Sizing  consistency was horrible..  
Probably why your old websights have bad reviews. Although most copper plated besides Berry's had same issue back then.
Maybe they got their act together...  Get a sample pack and try em see if they work for you.
I can say that in last few years I got a batch of everglades copper coated and they worked fine

Interesting to hear. After shipping and tax though the price is pretty meh. Looks like precision delta might be the way to go. 

Just now, bowenbuilt said:

i have shot a ton of them and do not have any bad news. I switched over to Everglades plated bullets about 3 years ago because of the quality and the 2nd day free shipping. The version (1 )147 flat nose gives me match grade accuracy and i have won many matches with them since the switch. Either are good products, Everglades gives a choice of plating thickness and diameter along with constant sales and free shipping. 

Any thoughts on Everglades vs precision delta? 

1 minute ago, Obvious said:

Any thoughts on Everglades vs precision delta? 

You will just have to buy them and compare. You have to make sure not to over crimp plated bullets to get the utmost performance out of them. Jacketed bullets such as PD are not as fussy about crimp but they are more expensive. I constantly get groups with the EG bullets out of my Glocks under 1.5'' at 25 yards so i have no problem using them in matches. YMMV.

I've shot several thousand 124 gr Xtreme with no issues.  I typically use Win 231 powder (or Titegroup when I can't find Win) and both seem to work well with Xtreme for me out of a Glock 17, EAA Witness, a PCC and a small carry gun.

They seemed to have bullets available when i needed them during the pandemic when other dealers were out of stock, so I never stopped using them.

I only but 1k or 2k at a time, but consistency between batches always seemed pretty close.

I might check the others mentioned in this thread if there's a good enough $$$ saving, but otherwise I'd have no issues sticking with Xtreme.

X-Treme is not as accurate as the old Rainier and current Berry's plated in any of my guns.  I still have a couple hundred left in 45.  I'll shoot them after everything else is used up.  I'd shoot Everglades plated before I'd buy more X-Tremes.

So it depends on what you are shooting them at.  If bullseye, stay away.  If steel challenge, okay.  If USPSA, maybe.  Personally, I wait for deals on JHPs and buy them for the same price as plated.  The last deal was 3000 115 JHPs for 8 cents each.  Last deal was 3000 124 heavy plate for 7 cents each.  You have to keep your eyes open and pounce when you find a deal.

21 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I guess that I was one of those “suckers” for buying bullets from X-Treme when I did. 

For me based on being a “B” classified shooter, shooting local and state Steel Challenge and local IDPA matches , their bullets worked great for me - and again this was when their prices were much lower (or the bullets I wanted were on sale) and they offered free shipping.  

Edited by Sigarmsp226

1 hour ago, HesedTech said:

As others mention Everglades is where I go for plated bullets in 124. Buy there V2 which have thicker plating/

Exactly what I just did. $94 flat for 1000 plated 9mm is hard to beat. 

So many other better options.

Plated bullets fill the gap of not accurate not cheap bullets. A gap no one is looking to fill.

if you’re looking to shoot non comped guns cheap go with coated lead. 

if you want a FULLY JACKETED bullet go with Everglades, PD, or RMR JHPs or FMJs.

Skip the plated, but if you must go with Everglades or RMR plated. Everglades plated are actually quite good bullets, but unless you can get them on sale, they just aren’t a good value proposition.

Edited by iflyskyhigh

I have a different take than ifly.  Good plated bullets are really quite accurate.  In many cases more accurate than hard cast coated.  It all comes down to the quality and consistency of the bullet.  When they were still making them, Rainier was the best, followed by RMR and Berry's.  RMR did not make the plated bullets they sold.  They no longer offer them because the manufacturer cannot keep up with demand for their own sales.  I've only shot 1k of the Everglades plated, so I don't have a definite opinion yet.  So far I like them.  I don't like Frontier plated.

Plated and heavy plate are a must if you are going to shoot them through a ported or compensated gun.  They are also better on steel, because they are softer and shatter into many small fragments.  Hard cast bullets shatter in much larger pieces, and those chunks carry a lot further.  Do not shoot lead or coated bullets out of a comp, unless you really enjoy removing lead and smurf poo from it.  Same thing with jacketed, except for the smurf poo.

As far as 115gr JHPs go, Hornady HAPs are the best, very closely followed by Zero and Montana Gold.  My initial impression of RMR 124 JHPs is they are as good.  I'll form a definite opinion once I've shot another 1k.  PD and Everglades cannot hold a candle to any of the aforementioned  That being said, they are more than accurate enough for USPSA.  For 45 bullseye, you cannot do better than Nosler 185gr JHP.

As far as coated lead goes, they almost all suck.  I like Precision Bullets the best, by a long shot.  Accurate and the coating doesn't stink when fired.  Another good one, surprisingly, is Summers Industries.  Accurate and very inexpensive.  Hi-Tek coating stinks when fired.  I'll not list the approximately dozen other brands I've tried and discarded.  However, I will mention the worst.  J-Ames coated bullets are bafflingly bad, and they smoke horribly.  Most of the bullets I've tried in my PCC vary from one hole to 2" groups at 25 yards.  With the J-Ames, I was lucky to keep them all on a 12"x12" target.  I bought 1k because I was assured they would not lead up a comp.  I though so little of them the remaining 750+ were placed on the free table at my club.

33 minutes ago, zzt said:

I have a different take than ifly.  Good plated bullets are really quite accurate.  In many cases more accurate than hard cast coated.  It all comes down to the quality and consistency of the bullet.  When they were still making them, Rainier was the best, followed by RMR and Berry's.  RMR did not make the plated bullets they sold.  They no longer offer them because the manufacturer cannot keep up with demand for their own sales.  I've only shot 1k of the Everglades plated, so I don't have a definite opinion yet.  So far I like them.  I don't like Frontier plated.

Plated and heavy plate are a must if you are going to shoot them through a ported or compensated gun.  They are also better on steel, because they are softer and shatter into many small fragments.  Hard cast bullets shatter in much larger pieces, and those chunks carry a lot further.  Do not shoot lead or coated bullets out of a comp, unless you really enjoy removing lead and smurf poo from it.  Same thing with jacketed, except for the smurf poo.

As far as 115gr JHPs go, Hornady HAPs are the best, very closely followed by Zero and Montana Gold.  My initial impression of RMR 124 JHPs is they are as good.  I'll form a definite opinion once I've shot another 1k.  PD and Everglades cannot hold a candle to any of the aforementioned  That being said, they are more than accurate enough for USPSA.  For 45 bullseye, you cannot do better than Nosler 185gr JHP.

As far as coated lead goes, they almost all suck.  I like Precision Bullets the best, by a long shot.  Accurate and the coating doesn't stink when fired.  Another good one, surprisingly, is Summers Industries.  Accurate and very inexpensive.  Hi-Tek coating stinks when fired.  I'll not list the approximately dozen other brands I've tried and discarded.  However, I will mention the worst.  J-Ames coated bullets are bafflingly bad, and they smoke horribly.  Most of the bullets I've tried in my PCC vary from one hole to 2" groups at 25 yards.  With the J-Ames, I was lucky to keep them all on a 12"x12" target.  I bought 1k because I was assured they would not lead up a comp.  I though so little of them the remaining 750+ were placed on the free table at my club.

I was just looking for plated to keep the lead exposure/shavings down. Sub 10 cents each is around where my 9mm from blue bullets was, so if it’s the same price I don’t see a reason to not swap. Still trying different companies, not sure where I’ll end up. Probably going to keep shooting coated lead for my TSO though simply because of the price difference between different bullets. 

I’ve shot a ton of xtreme over the last 5 years. 115 9mm and 180 .40. They have been consistently sized accurate enough. I prefer these in my PCC because they shooter cleaner than coated, but in my CZ and 1911, they have comparable accuracy to Blues. 

On 10/3/2022 at 12:17 PM, zzt said:

Just no. Not to all of it.

I bought 3,000 124 grained Round nose plated bullets Off of Gun broker  Using 3.6 gr. of clays.  I think I get a better group with my shotgun. I couldn't get them to shoot for s#!t

Edited by usmc1974

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2022 at 6:29 PM, usmc1974 said:

I bought 3,000 124 grained Round nose plated bullets Off of Gun broker  Using 3.6 gr. of clays.  I think I get a better group with my shotgun. I couldn't get them to shoot for s#!t

I tried clays with several different bullets, none of them were accurate.  Try N320 but don't blame me if you fall in love with it.