Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Am I too old?

Goat259

Jerry mickulek started at about 30 granted he shot a lot before then but he started his sponsor and becoming known then

he was winning well into his 60s

josh froelich started late look at him world champ

we use to have an 82 year old come shoot 

i have a buddy who is 70 who shoots every weekend 

if you do the work and spend the time and money you will be surprised 

i started at 35 made M in 8 mo

i shot pcc 4 times and made M

just switched to open made M

its doable with work

so is gm

So what if you dont win a national title but if thats a goal work your tail off and go for it

On 9/10/2022 at 4:10 PM, Goat259 said:

Good Evening,

I did not start competitively shooting until I was 31 years old and I am now 33.  I got to ask, will I ever be competitive at all? Realistically, I’m not going to ever compete for a top spot at Nationals, but I would like to someday make M or GM. 

I am only a B class in CO, and C in Limited. I plan to stay in Limited though. 

Am I too old?

Goat

I shot my first match Feb 26th of this year. I’m 2% points away from A and my goal is M within 12 months. 33 is young. How bad do you want it? Focus on doing the fundamentals really well, figure out where you’re losing time and you’ll get where you want to be. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

On 9/10/2022 at 6:10 PM, Goat259 said:

Good Evening,

I did not start competitively shooting until I was 31 years old and I am now 33.  I got to ask, will I ever be competitive at all? Realistically, I’m not going to ever compete for a top spot at Nationals, but I would like to someday make M or GM. 

Am I too old?

Goat

Mediocre mentality. I started shooting competitions December 2020 at 30 and I am 2x GM in SC and M in USPSA - soon to be GM. 33 now 

Edited by 42ATK

On 9/10/2022 at 6:10 PM, Goat259 said:

Good Evening,

Am I too old?

Goat

I started in IDPA around 31 I think many of us probably do. I was a Sharpshooter at best then, I'd guess that's D class. I didn't find uspsa or really get serious until I was maybe 33. I made M by 34. GM in a couple divisions by 38-39. I train way less now and shoot less matches but at 42 I can still hang with M's and G's 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

52 is still young enough to enjoy a lot of shooting. I'm 72 and still get to shoot Steel Challenge matches about every month.  I practice at least once a week with my guns and 2 times a week with my bows.  I'm going to swap that.

Good Evening,

Am I too old?

Goat

Older thread but I’ll post an update. I started shooting when I was 38. No previous experience. I made M in CO in 7 months and even took a month off in the middle. I have a pretty obsessive personality though. Take a couple classes. Shoot a lot. Read the books. Squad with the super squad and watch what they do. Basically just put in the work. I turn 40 this summer and my goal is to be “good enough” to make a run for GM next fall. I live in a pretty competitive area and do pretty well but still lack a little consistency. I have a 2 year old and another due any day. I’ve been an athlete most of my life and I think a lot of

people neglect the fitness aspect of this game. In reality it’s a movement game where you happen to shoot guns. Mobility is a big deal. I’ve also had a back surgery, and broken my entire lumbar spine/pelvis. No excuses, just put in the work 👍

Edited by ColoradoNick

personally: too old? not yet at 59.. but slow improvements from experience are diminished by slowing reflexes, pain in the feet and knees, diminishing endurance, diminishing eyesight / visual focus. 

in general: too old? no as long as your are safe and can do your part.
once you are too old to paste and tear down then its time to move on to other games.

1 hour ago, scroadkill said:

once you are too old to paste and tear down then its time to move on to other games.

I don't look at it that way. As long as I'm able to do a little more I am happy to paste and etc for those folks who are a bit older or have an ailment and help them stay in the game. I think that is a typical attitude. 

Good Evening,

Am I too old?

Goat

At your advanced age can you still walk and chew gum at the same time?

Good... you are not too old.

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2022 at 11:33 PM, -JCN- said:

I picked up my first gun in 2016 at 41. 
Started USPSA in 2019 at 44. 
Made GM in CO in 2021 at 46. 

Made USPSA PCC GM in 2023 at 48. 
SCSA PCCI GM 2023 at 48 lol. 
Going to see if I can do Revo GM in 2024. 

• 3 weeks later...

You are not old at all. I started at 29, 33 now and I don't see a disadvantage physically to younger shooters. I think if you are physically capable of standing for the duration of the match, you will be good. Good luck!