Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Am I too old?

Goat259

Good Evening,

I did not start competitively shooting until I was 31 years old and I am now 33.  I got to ask, will I ever be competitive at all? Realistically, I’m not going to ever compete for a top spot at Nationals, but I would like to someday make M or GM. 

I am only a B class in CO, and C in Limited. I plan to stay in Limited though. 

Am I too old?

Goat

1 hour ago, Goat259 said:

Good Evening,

I did not start competitively shooting until I was 31 years old and I am now 33.  I got to ask, will I ever be competitive at all? Realistically, I’m not going to ever compete for a top spot at Nationals, but I would like to someday make M or GM. 

Am I too old?

Goat

I started in 19 at 53 in Production and switched to CO at the start of 2020.  Made A in CO last year.  I'm still in A but closer to M than to A.

You get to define what competitive means to you.

Can be competitive? Yes if you put the work in and aren't physically disadvantaged in some way.  Lots of people pick up USPSA after the kids are grown and gone.

Will be competitive?  No way to guarantee that.

Heck yes.  You are still a child in the shooting world.  But it takes work.  You just have to decide if it's worth the trouble.  If you are really in to shooting, being a Master or GM is really cool.  If you're not, who cares.  It's an expensive sport that doesn't apply to the real world as much as we claim.

You are at a perfect age to keep shooting and enjoy the sports available.  I'm 71 and shoot two Steel Challenge matches every month.  If I could move my walker faster I'd be shooting USPSA as well. 

I was a Master Class shooter with my revolvers shooting ICORE.  I had to stop that a few years ago do to health issues but I still shoot every week at about 5 - 600 rounds a week.  

I'm a C class shooter at Steel Challenge using my .22 revolver against the autos.  I only care about improving my times and trying to get into B class.  I have to get 13 seconds faster and I'm there.

Keep shooting, enjoy yourself and try to improve.  It may not take you long to get to A and Master is not far away.  Your age is not a factor.

If you not looking for top spot in Nationals , ten you pretty much shooting for fun. Shooting sport is all about what you put in . Seen people go from newb to DM in 3 years after hours of daily dryfire . For me , it's a hobby , If I have to practice hours every day , it becomes a job ,I don't have time or energy for another job :):)

Age is just a number 

1 hour ago, valerko said:

If you not looking for top spot in Nationals , ten you pretty much shooting for fun. Shooting sport is all about what you put in . Seen people go from newb to DM in 3 years after hours of daily dryfire . For me , it's a hobby , If I have to practice hours every day , it becomes a job ,I don't have time or energy for another job :):)

Age is just a number 

I would like to compete at Nationals, I’m just trying to be realistic on what I can do in the sport. 

I never even touched a firearm until 2010. Age 31 

Started USPSA in 2018. Age 39

PCC GM and Top 20 finish at nationals last year at age 42. 

Won a few level 2 matches this year. 

Never too late to get after it. Depends more what you’re willing to put in to it than your age. 

On 9/10/2022 at 5:10 PM, Goat259 said:

Good Evening,

Am I too old?

Goat

Not late at all.  You can place top 10 nationally before you are 40 if you do the work needed. 

I started USPSA at age 40. 

haha this almost seems like click bait with how "old" you are.  2 years ago I made GM in PCC at 35 years old, came 4th at PCC Nationals in 2021, made 100% PCC classification 2022.   It wasn't an accident. It took LOTS of time and effort to get to that level..  Overall it just depends on how much effort you put into the game.  If you think by doing nothing other than go to a weekly USPSA match, you may not make M. 

One thing I will mention now that I've read this again, I've been shooting guns since I was 6.  Started doing skeet competitions at 8.  Registered skeet shooting/travelling to big matches from 15-19

Edited by Bdh821

On 9/11/2022 at 7:53 PM, Goat259 said:

I would like to compete at Nationals, I’m just trying to be realistic on what I can do in the sport.

You could win Nats if you have good health and eye sight at your age. However, winning Nats or even an Area match means you will have to make shooting your singular passion and goal. 

Go and listen to the top shooter's podcasts and I think you will find it's not so much about age but work. Dry fire every day, live fire 2 -3 days a week, Major matches, local matches, lots of ammo, reloading, spare gun and parts. To become a National ranked competitor is work and commitment. 

Now to get to M or GM class, that's a bit different story. You can do this, just decide what your motivation and ability to participate are.

2 hours ago, HesedTech said:

You could win Nats if you have good health and eye sight at your age. However, winning Nats or even an Area match means you will have to make shooting your singular passion and goal. 

Go and listen to the top shooter's podcasts and I think you will find it's not so much about age but work. Dry fire every day, live fire 2 -3 days a week, Major matches, local matches, lots of ammo, reloading, spare gun and parts. To become a National ranked competitor is work and commitment. 

Now to get to M or GM class, that's a bit different story. You can do this, just decide what your motivation and ability to participate are.

I think I talk about what it took to get there..

I had a stroke at 49 that got me motivated to spend more time doing what I love, had been B class for life for years and got motivated and made GM (revo so it only sort of counts)at 51.  Now I'm lazy and not putting in the work but I can still hang with the lower M's in Open

Your only as old as you think you are and whatever you think you will be right.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m 28 and started at 27 and I have 70-80 year olds in my local matches that move faster and shoot more accurate than me. They smoke me all the time, I’d say you have a good 30-40 years of great foundational shooting to keep up. Keep at it!

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2022 at 9:06 PM, Gameplayer said:

Looking for a instructor in the Indiana area. Started back shooting recently and want to do it right while I still can. Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you!

I would ask this question in the INGO forum.  Indiana is a pretty big area, can you narrow it down?

Depending on where you are, you might find closer help in one of the neighboring states.

• 1 month later...

Yes, you're to old.  Just the fact that you asked this question, means you've built a psychological barrier which will hold you back from reaching your goal of "competitiveness"  You have already put sever limitations on your potential.  Start by removing these limitations from your mind.  If you think you can't do something, it's going to be true.  Start thinking about what you can do, and begin working on the daily activities required to reach those goals.  

• 2 weeks later...

I started practical shooting in 2017 at 30, shot my first matches in half 2018 and full season 2019. Then corona came, nothing till summer 2021 with some LVL 3's in east EU countries. But that's it, 2022 was my best year, should be going to EHC in Greece as part of the National team prod div. I never thought this would be possible in 2019. I'm still having f*#k ups, and still learning. But god I f*#king love shooting.

Remember you don't need to win a single stage to win a match. You just need to be the most consistant, without the least ammount of f*#k-ups.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 6:10 PM, Goat259 said:

Good Evening,

Am I too old?

Goat

I started going to matches regularly at 33, but want to pick up the sport more seriously now at 35. Seeing all these replies makes me feel good about it. It should make you feel good about it too. 

• 3 months later...