Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard chrome CZ for competition?

moose97

1 hour ago, moose97 said:

Anyone use/get a hard chrome CZ for competition use? I love the look & am considering it for my TSO...

my old cz 75 from 1986.frame with electroless  finish .used it with compensator few years. now it's my carry gun with his original barrel.

Plenty of Tanfoglio pistols come with hard chrome finishes from the factory.  They are CZ clones and many use them for USPSA and seem to be happy with the finish on those.

I had one of my Glock 17 USPSA match gun slides refinished in hard chrome a year ago by Bob Cogan at Accurate Plating & Weaponry (APW) ... https://apwcogan.com/ .  They did a bang up job and the finish looked like a quality factory job, I couldn't be happier.  It has a few thousand rounds on the new finish and still looks like new.  Love the look and durability of hard chrome for a match gun.  I did a lot of research before choosing APW and found they have a reputation as one of the best in the US.

I recently started shooting a Shadow 2 in USPSA and will likely send that down to APW for hard chrome treatment after the factory finish gets worn.

Edited by ShredderTactical

3 hours ago, SuperKing said:

Nice. About how long was the turnaround?

This was back in 2020 and took between 3 and 4 weeks if I recall correctly. 

One thing to note about hard chroming a CZ: The frames are cast so there is a possibility of finding a few small pinholes (voids from the casting process). The factory polycoat is thick and fills everything in, while hard chrome is a very thin layer. I sent a Shadow 2 and an 85 Combat to APW for hard chrome, and the owner Bob Cogan called me to let me know the Shadow 2 frame had two or three very tiny pinholes on the right side of the frame. He informed me that they could attempt to buff them out but that can open a can of worms if the void ends up being bigger under the surface, so I told him to just let them go. They are super tiny but it's just something to be aware of. On the other hand the 85 Combat frame was perfect.

1 hour ago, Nolf1344 said:

One thing to note about hard chroming a CZ: The frames are cast so there is a possibility of finding a few small pinholes (voids from the casting process). 

Ahh, really good to know and be reminded of. I'm looking to send in an A01 (hammer forged) so hopefully I wouldn't need to worry too much.

The S2 you had done- that the brushed or matte option?

Edited by SuperKing

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 4:56 PM, Friedrich_der_Grosse said:

I haven't seen a CZ-75 in a hard chrome finish anywhere, let alone competition. You could however call up Cajun Gun Works to get your gun refinished by them, but I haven't tried that out yet so you're dipping your toes into some new territory for CZ finishes. 

The brand of the pistol is irrelevant. 

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

• 2 months later...