Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Damn cheap azz Starline Brass. You load it 3 or ...

ysrracer

The only time I've had cases split like that was when I was over-sizing them.  For me it was using a carbide .45 Colt die to size.  When I moved to a properly made "steel" die, that problem went away.  .45 Colt is not a strictly straight-wall case and in my case, didn't respond well at all to the carbide sizing treatment.  So, what caliber is that, what dies are you using to size it with, and what are you shooting it in?  Starline has a stellar reputation with most reloaders.

.38 Short Colt, 160gr Bayou Bullet, 3.1gr of clays, loaded 15 times, Dillon .38 special sizing die, Lee 9mm seating die, Lee 9mm crimping die.

sat·ire
/ˈsaˌtī(ə)r/

noun
  1. the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

4 hours ago, ysrracer said:

... 15 times, and the powder leaks out :)

Screenshot_20220723-215802.png

Hey that looks like my brass... I have moved from VA to KS and looks like I may end up shooting ICORE,,, can you send me that 38SC brass I sold you back ? 

44 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Hey that looks like my brass... I have moved from VA to KS and looks like I may end up shooting ICORE,,, can you send me that 38SC brass I sold you back ? 

Sure, do you still have the receipt?

:)

On 7/24/2022 at 1:54 PM, ysrracer said:

Sure, do you still have the receipt?

:)

hah actually I do ! was buried in my old messages . 
Still have all my stuff packed though. maybe get situated this winter,,, seems grafs had some  on hand my order now and stash em.... Although maybe need to see if I like icore or not before spending money, I have tons of 38 special and magnum loaded

I used to try to keep track of number of times I'd fired brass and just gave up. I've scrounged plenty of indoor range brass that I assume is once fired but who can be sure? When I started loading in the 90's the only brass I bought was Starline from Midway and that was mostly 38s & 357s cause I could scrounge 9's and 45 ACPs at the range. I've also used Starline for some oddball loads like 45 Auto Rim and 357 SIG. I've never had a bulge or crack. Now I'm using it for 45 Colt and am fat, dumb and happy with it. I'll probably try counting again for the 45 Colts since they have a roll crimp that could stress/crack the case lip. Though others shoot dirty brass, I'm anal about cleaning it as it gives me another chance to spot issues before recharging.

On 7/28/2022 at 3:01 PM, FN509Fan said:

I used to try to keep track of number of times I'd fired brass and just gave up. I've scrounged plenty of indoor range brass that I assume is once fired but who can be sure? When I started loading in the 90's the only brass I bought was Starline from Midway and that was mostly 38s & 357s cause I could scrounge 9's and 45 ACPs at the range. I've also used Starline for some oddball loads like 45 Auto Rim and 357 SIG. I've never had a bulge or crack. Now I'm using it for 45 Colt and am fat, dumb and happy with it. I'll probably try counting again for the 45 Colts since they have a roll crimp that could stress/crack the case lip. Though others shoot dirty brass, I'm anal about cleaning it as it gives me another chance to spot issues before recharging.

When I got my 327 FM I took 50 new Starline and used just those for load development. I have lost count on how many times they’ve been loaded but I know it’s over 20. Many were damn hot and some the primer pockets are getting loose but so far no splits or ruptures. Probably helps that the cylinder is tight too. In the late 70’s there was a little shop that would bag up 100 38’s and 357’s in brown paper bags and sell them out of an old wooden bbl. I think they were around $5-7 a bag and they had the star-star headstamp. We asked who made them and the guy would shrug and say “I think it’s shooting star brass”.  I still have some of those first ones and always have had excellent luck with Starline Brass. 

Edited by Farmer
Added

6 hours ago, Brooke said:

Lets see the forum shuts down threads that ask about serious subjects but this stupid thread continues.  

The forum shuts down threads that deal with forbidden topics like politics, etc. or when attitudes get posted. This thread violates none of those.

2 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

The forum shuts down threads that deal with forbidden topics like politics, etc. or when attitudes get posted. This thread violates none of those.

I could not have said it better myself.

• 2 weeks later...

It's of course your gun!!!

Seriously, the 160g bullet is so long you are getting into the web of the case.  Try  145g which I shoot.

10+ years on by Starline Brass.  I've never cracked one.  35 SC

1 hour ago, GMM50 said:

It's of course your gun!!!

Seriously, the 160g bullet is so long you are getting into the web of the case.  Try  145g which I shoot.

10+ years on by Starline Brass.  I've never cracked one.  35 SC

I load them to 1.20 so it's not into the web yet. When I loaded them to 1.160 I would get case bulging.