Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hat to go over muffs or other neck protection

theautobahn

I'm taking my 14 year old to a carbine course in August and I'm looking for some sun protection ideas - we're both going to be running electronic muffs. I have a Columbia fishing hat, boonie-style with a wider brim, that I THINK is loose enough (it's elastic and has a drawstring) that it might go over the band, but wondering what everyone else does. We both have shot matches before so are ok with regular brimmed hats and sunscreen, but I'm looking for some other options.

For shooting matches, classes, and range training days I usually just use a ballcap with my hearing pro and don't even worry about sunscreen anymore.  I live in North Carolina, so we get plenty of heat and sun exposure when outdoors and probably have a higher tolerance to the sun and thus tend to go light or skip the sunscreen.

I cut 3 acres of grass all summer (about 6 months each year here in NC) with my tractor and use a wide brimmed hat that I wear over the headband style hearing pro that I wear on my tractor.  My tractor hearing pro is actually designed and sold for firearms use.  This universal size hat fits perfectly on my head (I wear 7 1/4 hat size) and over the hearing pro, and also has a chin strap that I use if it's windy.  I got it from Amazon (see link below).  I've got four years so far on my second of these hats and they provide good extra sun protection and are made out of high quality ripstop material and hold up well.  Only reason I had to replace my first one is a storm was coming in while I was cutting grass and the wind ripped it off my head and my mower chewed it up before I could react.  These are great hats at a hard to beat price.  I did wear it at a range training session a week ago because its been hotter than normal around here and I wanted some extra protection from the sun, hat worked great at the range!

Great hat at Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DDEYLBI/ref=dp_iou_view_item?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by ShredderTactical
Edited for clarification.

This is what I use most often; the XXL size should fit over the band for most folks.

I have a similarly shaped soft nylon hat with an attached neck cape, but it's no longer available at the source I used - it works very well for me when shooting prone rifle; I think that's what you're really looking for and hope you can find it.

I’ve been using one of these hats for the past few years. It has a wide brim, and keeps the sun off your neck. 
https://a.co/d/2vg73qL

I’ve also started wearing long sleeve fishing shirts instead of sunscreen and I like that a lot better. They really do keep you cooler in the hot sun, and no greasy sunscreen to make your hands slippery. You should definitely check them out. Amazon has a bunch of them. 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09R3RJG32?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

maybe no help for a class but for matches I always used ear plugs and a large brimmed boony or straw hat when I was ROing or not shooting. Then swap to a ball cap and put muffs on over the plugs when I was shooting and sometimes when RO' open guys

You guys rock! Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried my ~25 year old Columbia fishing hat over my muffs yesterday and it worked but wasn't ideal. I think I'm going to get something similar (as suggested above) for the kiddo to try, and get us some long sleeved fishing shirts

Thank you!

54 minutes ago, theautobahn said:

You guys rock! Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried my ~25 year old Columbia fishing hat over my muffs yesterday and it worked but wasn't ideal. I think I'm going to get something similar (as suggested above) for the kiddo to try, and get us some long sleeved fishing shirts

Thank you!

get the hanes ones from Amazon,, exact same shiirt other than the Bro cool dude logos for about 1/3 the price...
FYI also look at sunscreen WITHOUT AVOBENZONE,,,  Use it you wont notice till you wash but it will turn these shirts orange around the collars if there is any iron in your water or in the dust at your range. DOnt have to buy fancy brands, usually the avobonzo free is marketed as kids sunscreen or mineral 

On 7/22/2022 at 7:03 PM, Joe4d said:

maybe no help for a class but for matches I always used ear plugs and a large brimmed boony or straw hat when I was ROing or not shooting. Then swap to a ball cap and put muffs on over the plugs when I was shooting and sometimes when RO' open guys

This is what I do.

• 4 weeks later...

This is probably too late for you, but I live in CA and use the various sun shirts by AFCO, Under Armour or you can even find them on Amazon. The hoods are big enough to pull over hat and muffs when you’re out of the shade. My son wears his under his muffs, and hat sometimes.