Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who is shooting a Ruger GP or Super GP100

mikeAZ

Interesting, thanks for the reply... Using a Ruger revolver seems to be like swimming against the current?. I had a very early S&W 929, never was a favorite. Soooo, here I am, lost in Ruger land.... I have someone at Ruger trying to open the gate and set one free...

8 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

I have a Super GP100 in 357  I use for ICORE when I don't want to shoot my Smith with an optic

Jake Martens is getting a review gun for some upcoming Front Sight issue, I heard at Nationals. I can't imagine Ruger would send one out and generate press without having more of the guns ready to go, but then again, maybe that's exactly what they're going to do. Competitors aren't exactly the biggest market—less than 1% of Super GP100s built show up regularly in competition.

46 minutes ago, mikeAZ said:

swimming against the current

That's for sure!

I have a GP100 in .357 Mag that I use for ICORE Classic and a Match Champion 10mm that I use for L6. I'm often the only Ruger shooter at the matches. Since I'm in New England, Paul Pluff occasionally shows up and he shoots a GP100.

2 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

Jake Martens is getting a review gun for some upcoming Front Sight issue, I heard at Nationals.

Perhaps' there is a glimmer of hope for more?... MAYBE, I could also do a review?.. I'd even shoot it upside down ala Jerry Miculek...

I think all 8 shots are scarce as hen’s teeth right now. My mistake is getting my wife into shooting ICORE and letting her use my 627. Having a hard time finding anything at all to replace. Occasionally something pops on GB for scalper’s pricing. Oh well, Classic is a nice challenge.

I have two Ruger GP100s (six shots), one a 4.2-inch for IDPA and a 6-inch for ICORE Classic. Within those two organizations they have put a lot of trophies in my "I Love Me" wall. Both have trigger jobs with Wilson or Wolfe spring kits that produce a 7.50 DA trigger pull. Rugers are built like tanks and keep going like the Energizer Bunny. I did have to send one  (the 4.2) back to Ruger after 35,000 rounds of 125 PF (+P) required by IDPA until just a few years ago, and they got it fixed quickly. Ruger's customer service is second to none. I even managed to make B Class in Steel Challenge with the six-inch, even though 6 rounds isn't a competitive gun in ISR. I have played with the 8 shot Super, and it would be a much better choice in Steel, although I'm not so certain whether going Limited in ICORE is a better bet than six-shot Classic. They way most of the matches I've shot are set up, and 8-shot will leave a fair number of live rounds on the ground. That's my 2c and worth every penny you paid for it. 

I have a super GP100 in 9mm, picked it up when they first came out and shot a few USPSA and steel challenge matches with it for fun until I decided to get serious with my limited gun. I’ve never tried any of the 8 shot smiths but I enjoy the ruger it runs fine.

• 6 months later...